• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Project "Secret of the Ooze"

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I have a caseless computer that has been dying for something new but I can't decide of 1/4" acrylic or just use some MDF and let my good friend tag it.

What thickness did you use? and if you dont mind me asking where you got it from?

First of all, great job. It turned out very well!

I couldn't really see from the pictures, but how is the handle on the top side supported? Is it anchored in some metal, or only supported by the 1/8" acrylic? Personally I wouldn't feel comfortable picking up my PC with a handle only attached to acrylic, though I do tend to over engineer things (the professors will soon get on my case with that).

Nice mod!

At first i thought this was gonna be a getto mod (cause i wasnt reading your details, just looking at the pictures... i thought you were using particle board...
What a suprise when you removed the protective covering off of that acrylic. looks amazing!

Burdman27911 said:
First of all, great job. It turned out very well!

I couldn't really see from the pictures, but how is the handle on the top side supported? Is it anchored in some metal, or only supported by the 1/8" acrylic? Personally I wouldn't feel comfortable picking up my PC with a handle only attached to acrylic, though I do tend to over engineer things (the professors will soon get on my case with that).
Thanks!
As for the top handle, it is not only bolted to the top panel (3/16" thick acrylic), but goes through the circular green 1/8" thick piece of acrylic that is also screwed to the top panel. So the weight/pull from the handle is spread out around the surface of the top panel by the green piece. The top panel its self is screwed directly to the aluminum angle (that is attached to the side panels) in six places around the outside. It is surprisingly strong and I am not worried about picking it up by the handle even when it is loaded down with hardware.
HandleMount001Small.jpg
HandleMount008Small.jpg
HandleMount009Small.jpg
HandleMount014Small.jpg
HandleMount012Small.jpg
HandleBaseFinishing002Small.jpg
HandleBaseFinishing006Small.jpg
HandleBaseFinishing008Small.jpg
HandleBaseFinishing013Small.jpg

gangaskan said:
wow, that is amazing, however, i would go nuts keeping that thing clean :(
HAHAHA, you are (unfortunately) exctly right. I didn't really think about how fast it would get dusty, but after the first day I quickly educated myself as to what I got myself into! :bang head :rolleyes:

gvblake22 said:
HAHAHA, you are (unfortunately) exctly right. I didn't really think about how fast it would get dusty, but after the first day I quickly educated myself as to what I got myself into! :bang head :rolleyes:

hehe :) sadly, my friend has a clear case he wants to get rid of, every time he cleans it he does a bath in windex haha

Case looks great. Your finished product looks as good or better than any Manufactured Case I've seen out there. My only question would be about how much the acrylic affects your temps?? Is there any measurable difference in temps between this and a metal case of 'similar' airflow/design?

now, when you said Secret of the Ooze, i was hoping for some TGRI or TMNT stuff on the case.....i mean this is faulty advertising

:D

good job, looks sweet

Able72 said:
Case looks great. Your finished product looks as good or better than any Manufactured Case I've seen out there. My only question would be about how much the acrylic affects your temps?? Is there any measurable difference in temps between this and a metal case of 'similar' airflow/design?
I don't have any other cube cases I can compare temperatures with, but the temperatures are very good (never seen it above the 30ºC range). Probably has to do with the 65nm Athlon 64 X2 3600 processor and onboard video though :beer:

FadeToGray said:
That thing is crazy. Where did you get that handle on the top from?
I found the handle at Home Depot in the kitchen drawer area.

hainer36 said:
now, when you said Secret of the Ooze, i was hoping for some TGRI or TMNT stuff on the case.....i mean this is faulty advertising
HAHHA. Well, my girlfriend was the one who actually came up with the name. She saw the fluorescent green acrylic and the first thing out of her mouth was, "OH! It's all Secret of the Ooze style!" (as in the color of the ooze from the original Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie). So the name stuck.

Back