• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Project "Secret of the Ooze"

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Denbob99 said:
Where did you get the metal backpiece for the mobo/expansion card outputs?
Nope, not a Lian Li. I just cut it out of an old ATX tower case (this one to be exact) and lopped off the last three slots to make it mATX. :)

Great job on that mod. I'm planning on making one too for that microATX form factor, but as this is my first mod I'm planning on doing it more easily (no UV acrylic, just 1 color, to get some practice). I don't have many tools, only a dremel, so it would be difficult for me to cut steel (back mobo tray for the back panel). Do you have a suggestion for this matter?

Also, did you put some support pads at the bottom of the case? or is the full support of the case relying on the front and back pannel (as they are larger)? Congratulations again!

Ah, how did you attach the mobo to its tray?

Good questions muhon_zen...
The steel back I/O plate for the motherboard was cut using fiberglass reinforced cutoff wheels on a basic dremel tool, so you should have no problem doing that yourself.

The case is indeed raised off the ground and supported only by the two fluorescent green "frames" around the front and back panels of the case. I have not noticed any compromise in strength or stability using this design. I also don't have any rubber feet or protection on the bottom edges of the acrylic either. So it is just the bare edge of the acrylic as the feet of the case. It does slide around relatively easily on a smooth surface, but you have to push on it pretty good to move it because the sheer weight of the case with the hardware holds it in place quite well.

The motherboard is held onto the motherboard tray with traditional motherboard standoffs. I drilled and tapped holes in the piece of acrylic to screw the male end of the standoffs into the motherboard tray. Then the motherboard is screwed down to the standoffs just like is done with any regular case. The trick is getting the holes drilled and tapped on the motherboard tray in the right spot! ;)
See the first two pictures of this post...

Thanks for answering, that will definetely help me in my project. Are you currently working on other mods?

Beautiful work gvblake22, the finished product looksawesome to say the least! I love the black and green look. :beer:

Thank you, thank you everyone for the nice comments! :D
I currently have another project in the planning phase, but I can tell you right now it is not an entire case from scratch! :bang head
I hope to get myself a Lian Li PC-A10A and so some cutting, some rearranging, and some powdercoating! Color theme will be fluorescent orange, black and dark metallic silver/gray. :sn:

gvblake,

I have another pair of questions. How did you fix the drives (both HDD and DVD) to the bottom panel? I've seen you made the frames but they don't seem fixed in any way to the case.

The second question regards the PSU. I see your enermax has a bottom fan so it can extract the heat from a regular tower case and move it out. How did you settle your PSU in that case, because it is obvious that the mobo is on top of the PSU, so the heat won't be removed the traditional way.
http://www.ocforums.com/member.php?u=38403

Good questions...
The optical drives have four regular motherboard standoffs screwed into the bottom drive. That drive is then secured to the bottom panel by threading screws into the four standoffs from the outside of the case. In the process of trying to get the holes in the right spot and messing up numerous times I had to create a bottom "plate" out of the green acrylic that screwed to the bottom panel and then I screwed the standoffs to the plate. Does that make sense?
Layout003.jpg
DriveHoles007Small.jpg
P1010009Small.jpg

The power supply has the fan facing toward the bottom of the case and has about 3cm of clearance for the bottom 120mm fan to pull air into the PSU. It is secured to the back of the case with the aluminum bracket I made and supported inside by one of those acrylic corner cubes (although there is two pictured below):
MountingPSU017Small.jpg

Wow, thanks for replying so fast. Is the PSU well ventilated with that setup? Is it blowing hot air from the back side? Also, great idea to fasten the optical drives like that. Does every drive come with those 4 screwholes below?

Finally, the hard drives. Are those screwed the same way opticals are? Thanks :D

The PSU does not have a rear exhaust fan, but it seems to be cooling well enough so I'm not worried about it. The power supply is an Enermax Liberty 500W...
All optical drives should have the four holes in the bottom; just remember they are 3mm M3 threads like the side holes of the optical drive and not 6/32 like hard drives :thup:
The hard drives also use the same mounting method (with motherboard standoffs) but I was able to drill the holes in the right spot so there was no need for the extra piece in between.

gangaskan said:
hehe :) sadly, my friend has a clear case he wants to get rid of, every time he cleans it he does a bath in windex haha

Heh, I know the feeling. Clear cases are a PITA.

Nice work by the way. Is it sturdy enough to pick the whole case up by the handle?

Back