• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PROJECT LOG Project Thief - Dual Watercooled Rigs - 3930K, 990x, 5 gpus, 8 ssds

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
So while I was waiting for the screws, I decided to mount a reservoir to the motherboard tray. As the motherboard tray is HPTX there is a lot of spare space. Initially I wanted to also fit an RX360 on there, so that the motherboard/gpu/ram loop was self contained on the tray so that I could just pull it out and swap CPUs without disturbing that loop. Now I have another plan for the radiator instead. Here I am drilling the tray:

WWq62h.jpg

With the res mounted (it's a 250 EK multires if anyone cares and there's just enough room for a D5 underneath):

X8Jaxh.jpg

From the back with the reservoir mounted. You can see the two nuts holding it on:

YNepph.jpg

Now with the motherboard tray back stiffening and tiding plate added:

C0X12h.jpg

Here's another shot of the front also showing the new cpu block. BTW any barbs are just place holders.

vPwZkh.jpg

A quick test inside the case:

K8LhMh.jpg

I also did a test run with the gtx560 radiator and the fan adapters with my new shiny 2150 rpm gentle typhoons!

rMksih.jpg

That was it for the night, then the next morning I found an extra fitting and connected the res to the ram block. Almost a straight line lol.

DqGSKh.jpg

No one had photographed the new thumbscrews on the cpu block - so I took a couple of that also:

mlrQEh.jpg

Again ignore the barbs, I haven't quite decided how to route the tube out of there yet.

VnCeWh.jpg

Here's a pic of the iwaki next to a D5

jQQyth.jpg

Then I put the dvd drives in. These will eventually be hidden :)

Lh3AWh.jpg

Then I starting putting in the new ssds into the hdd side mount:

ej11Lh.jpg

I have another 3 ssds and 5 hard drives to put in later on, when I really transplant everything over:

3NfmOh.jpg

57NxOh.jpg

And now a tease of the case with the panels:

heGD5h.jpg

More to come soon :)

[quote name="jackofhearts495" url="/t/1188030/sponsored-project-thief-a-dual-wielding-full-watercooled-caselabs-tx10-gulftown-gaming-sandy-workstation-990x-and-3930k-in-one-box-with-five-gpus-and-plenty-o-rads/400_50#post_16819510"]I'm sure you'd find better performance in two EX's than one GTX. It's a no-brainer if both options are the same price.[/quote]

Yeah I think you're right, may require some modding for the 3rd 560, but that's ok :)

So the only thing I got done this week was changing the switch plate to one that matched the exterior color. Here's the original:

PhZt6h.jpg

The cover is held on with two nuts:

XGjMfh.jpg

Put the new one on:

B9cAmh.jpg

Reattach the switches:

Rt1bOh.jpg

Install it:

IBuaAh.jpg

And put the panels back one:

B91tEh.jpg

That's probably it for the next week at which point a large order of parts should be coming in :thumb:

Alrighty the fedex guy came, so here's some unboxing action:

TS5anh.jpg

Woooh packing

hNe1uh.jpg

ZScUbh.jpg

AjqNeh.jpg

Opened some boxes - the front rad is an ex560 - not quite sure why this was the first 560 rad that XSPC made.

jUyech.jpg

Mora 140.9 revealed - way thicker than the EX of course

ZdMi3h.jpg

Can you say quick disconnects?

NrNiHh.jpg

2nd update of the day:-

So I played around with my own version of the big slappy mod for the Iwaki - the idea is you tap the cylinder res for a much larger feed for the pump. The pump can't be on it's back so you need a nice slow 90 degree bend. The tough part is then getting down to the 5/8 OD pipe that is the inlet to the Iwaki. Here I used 1" pipe going to a 1/2" female converter fitted with a 5/8" brass barb. I butted the barb up right against the inlet and stretched some 0.5" tube over it:

XwlvOh.jpg

The feed may not be quite as good as the original big slappy as that only had a bout 3/4" of 5/8 inlet tube, vs this 2.5" on this version. However the downpipe is 1" instead of the 3/4" that was used. So hopefully the extra width balances it out a bit. Here's a photo of the original big slappy:

4270331234_ccd8bcfac4_o.jpg

and amuseme's version:

IMG_1608copy.jpg

We'll see I might change to what they did, I feel like it might have better performance.

Also started spray painting test colors on a dead GT. I made a quick spray booth:

P4B7Zh.jpg

SKTlWh.jpg

Done - there's some metallic flake in the paint, the color isn't quite as orange as the tube though:

punuJh.jpg

Reassembled (kinda)

goRMmh.jpg

ms7H2h.jpg

Then a final comparison with it mounted on the 120 rad (this rad is just for the motherboard block loop). The rad will be painted silver to match:

0y5Fnh.jpg

So what do you think? Are the colors close enough? Both are slightly off. I wonder if I can get a color match from the powder coat supplier. I think I'll look for a different red at the least tomorrow. The match does depend on the lighting though.

Got some more today seeing as I got done with my deadline yesterday. I wanted to get the 120 rad painted to match the fan to see how it looks and what fittings to go with. So I started sanding down the brand new gt stealth:

ec0teh.jpg

Masked it off and applied primer:

aIDLlh.jpg

Then painted a matching cover to dress up the fan a little:

bRMFyh.jpg

While I was waiting for paint to dry, I put together the quick disconnect pairs, some will mount to panels with a g1/4 fitting on the other side, while some screw directly into radiators:

KU2A5h.jpg

Then I realized I need two more pairs...

I also did some work on the pump mounting. I added a drain port to the inlet tube and mapped out the cuts I wanted to make to the base panel. Air has to flow through the base panel, so there has to be some cut outs. Because the pump will vibrate, I'm worried about making the noise worse with a floppy piece of metal, so I was thinking to stiffen it with two 1" by 1/4" steel bars screwed underneath the base plate (these are the two dark shaded strips. I'll have to add some rubber strips to try and isolate the baseplate from the frame also.

a6y3Xh.jpg

Here's a quick look at the painted rad from earlier with the fan on top:

1Lcwyh.jpg

And here's a piece of acrylic that was laser cut and then painted to match. The dimensions aren't quite right though:

yE8Uth.jpg

Not sure whether to do something like this or not. I don't think I should use the zerg symbol anyway as it doesn't match the theme, but it's fun to play around.

Originally I had wanted to paint all the fans, then I got lazy and thought, well I'm more likely to screw them up by painting them (imbalanced rotors and all), plus they won't be seen so who cares. So I took a look to see if I could justify lazy or not: Here are the stock typhoons showing:

R5T0jh.jpg

Here's one painted typhoon just rested up in there. Obviously the space around the fan (fan adapter) would be painted silver too so it would blend better. The red can't be seen too well though:

4ZOFzh.jpg

So I figure I have four options:

A) leave the GTs stock (lazy and quieter but looks ugly)
B) paint the GTs housing only and leave the rotor grey (quiet but stands out less
C) paint the GT fully (risks noise from a now unbalanced rotor and doesn't look much better than option b)
D) paint the GT fully and add some white LEDs to actually show the metallic red rotor off a little bit

What do you all think?

The results are in:
A - 2
B - 7
C - 0
D - 6
Other suggesions:
- not paint and add leds - 2
- paint the housing and add leds -1
- paint hubs only and add leds -1

I liked some of the suggestions - I think what I'll do is actually not paint, and use red LED's to light the blades. I'm going to do a test run in the next couple of days. I'll also create a plate to attach the fans too that will cover some of the ugliness so only the blades will be seen. I can then create some back lit patterns. I need to check how much room is left in between the fans and the metal panel though.

Meanwhile I mounted the 140x9 radiator (without fans as I'm waiting on delivery), and checked the QDC's:

o5X61h.jpg

Unfortunately there is not enough room - only about 3/4" to make the 90 degree turn:

dDI6Jh.jpg

Luckily I had a non rotary 90 spare that could help out:

LquyLh.jpg

A rotary there would inevitably leak due to the weight of the QDC. I don't like the restriction of that tight 90 though so I may end up taking the QDC off of the radiator and putting it in line instead. I decided to leave it for a bit though and work on tapping the reservoir. The parts I need came in, so now it's time to build a makeshift tap handle lol.

W8AsLh.jpg

Alright so here's a shot of the tubing:

ydlEwh.jpg

The difference looks 3-4x worse than the photo shows.

Also got some parts that were correctly manufactured (EK D5 top and lots of drain ports):

FDESTh.jpg

Bunch of fill ports:

fk9VSh.jpg

I also got done with the clearcoat on the radiator so I could finally take the masking tape off:

6dCJFh.jpg

Then I built a quick and dirty tap handle:

IIaxgh.jpg

We'll see how it works, I may have to buy one but thought I'd try this first.

I attached the D5 top to the res with a rotary male to male connector. There was about 3/8" gap between the mounting plate and the motherboard tray though, so I picked up a rubber table leg weight distributor that felt like it would be good for damping vibrations. It's just the right size to hide behind the mounting plate. I had to shave it down a bit though as it was more like 1/2":

bPTgGh.jpg

Here it is hiding:

TmNuFh.jpg

If it's visible from the window, I'll have to replace it, but I think it's good. Here it is with the plate bolted down lightly (the barb is temporary):

nnmVMh.jpg

Here it is mounted from the front:

ieEkTh.jpg

I made a review of the TX10. I hope it's helpful and that people like it. It's not exactly professional (iphone ftw) but I tried to do my best with what I had. To give you an idea of the scale of the case - I'm 6ft 5, so it's pretty big.

Let me know any feedback you have to improve it (or future videos). This case is a tough subject to review, simply because there are so many things to cover. I don't particularly like the ending, I'm thinking of adding on a real conclusion, but for all being one take I think it's decent :thumb:

Stren!

Alright here's the quick video update as I haven't had time to edit the pics yet. This is about halfway through what's been done. One thing I've found with this case is that it's so large, that every wire needs to be lengthened :rolleyes:

Skip to the end to see the comparison of an antec 300 to the TX10 lol

So I finally tidied up the house. For some reason the wife was unhappy with every available surface being covered with stuff. This means I can start processing some photos.

So I started off by putting together the workstation upgrade. My gaming rig can be down, but I still have to work, so that's the first priority. The workstation consists of two loops:

1. i7-3930K - Mora3 140x9 - Dual PMP450S (D5 Strong)

2. EK R4E full cover block - 2 EK ram blocks - EK 8800GT block - D5 Vario - EK 250 cylinder res

As most of loop 2 was done, I started work on loop 1. So I started off mounting the fans to the mora3. Here it is with the CaseLabs "Super Mount". There are four dedicated mounting points independent of the fans which is nice:

BpHDuh.jpg

This means you can just mount the fans to the supermount and not the radiator:

uhfHLh.jpg

This is useful for cleaning because you can just undo the four mounting screws between the supermount and the rad. I.E. You don't have to remove every single fan for cleaning. FYI the fans are low speed 140mm yates (700rpm). I chose these because I wanted something cheap and quiet, and yates are both of those when at 700rpm.

Here's the super mount with fans mounted placed on top of the rad:

9ksQ3h.jpg

Then I attached the rad to the super mount:

WCHx8h.jpg

The only downside to this is a tiny gap between the fan and the rad. However it's small enough that I don't think it will cause a problem:

tzfwch.jpg

Here it is mounted in the top of the case:

LoWguh.jpg

I then attached the quick disconnects to the CPU block for loop 1. Originally they were going to attach to the case and then have compression fittings on the cpu block. However there wasn't enough room to make the 90 degree turn, so i think this works better:

R0yOCh.jpg

In the final setup I'll have some bitspower pass throughs that go to the top chamber. For now the tubing curves around to the drive bay area where the temporary reservoir and pumps are:

CnrRUh.jpg

Again you can see the pink vs red tube. Primochill have shipped me some replacement tube - so props to them for taking care of it.

So to build the workstation loop I also needed a rx360 rad from my gaming rig. So this meant that it was time to take the gaming rig apart. Here you can see it minus one fan that was clicking and had been removed. Yes you can cool 3 480's, a 920 and motherboard block with 5xAP15s but yes your water gets pretty warm lol.

V2Wtah.jpg

So once the radiators were removed, I could take some side by side pics with the new case:

Dq6Bqh.jpg

Yes the TX10 is huge!

abn1fh.jpg

lHMX5h.jpg

So enough posing, it's time to take the guts apart:

r6396h.jpg

You can see how the window was hiding some messy wiring. I hadn't bothered to tidy and sleeve much after putting in the Koolance res and STX because the TX10 was already on the way.

Lots of dust to be cleaned, here you can see the "saddlebag" setup of the external rads

d9RDih.jpg

About to take the fans and reservoir out:

ullW6h.jpg

Top fan and PSU removed:

2LWuih.jpg

Parts on the ground, parts on the ground looking like a fool with my parts on the ground!

jFaqyh.jpg

The STX is a sexy card:

PFk5Vh.jpg

Alright so more photos taking the old rig apart - we left off by removing the pci cards and the power supply:

KD1JYh.jpg

So now let's remove the cpu block and check the tim spread:

KYC1Ah.jpg

Not the best but not awful. Now time to take the motherboard out:

2C6F8h.jpg

Out it comes:

Z5G2Wh.jpg

Which leaves a sad empty and dusty case!

eLd0fh.jpg

Now it's time to take apart the rad setup:

DKsQ5h.jpg

Remove the steel bars:

ctYtGh.jpg

Then the fans:

nCT7uh.jpg

I noticed one side of the rads now had white stains on them, these were the sides on the top:

ZfTjGh.jpg

Compared side by side to the underside (bottom rad):

J3CxCh.jpg

Anyone know what that is?

Well I haven't done any more on it yet. Still working through the photos from the last two weeks. So here's another update...

So we left off with the antec 300 emptied out, here's another shot of it next to the TX10 now that it's empty:

IS38ph.jpg

I was also now left with a big stack of fans. This is without the 15 fans that have already been used in the TX10:

50lkqh.jpg

Now I could start rebuilding the gaming rig into the TX10:

2aLGDh.jpg

Adding the 120 rad for the motherboard loop:

N20r0h.jpg

Testing that it still fits in the case:

ZXCnyh.jpg

Soon it must be time to start tidying up before I get slapped!

RnfOJh.jpg

However first I need to get my work computer up. The free 360 is being used for the workstation motherboard/ram/gpu loop and will sit approximately here:

BHicJh.jpg

So now to take apart the loop that was leak testing in order to add the rad:

xCUhih.jpg

I changed out the 45 degree bitspower compression on the GPU as it felt like it had a slight leak in in that position, so it has a temporary barb, I also removed the pump sticker. It's much cleaner now, and who needs an overpriced dress kit ;)

vboMEh.jpg

That's all for now!

Here's a quick update - time to start drilling!

7hRDXh.jpg

Adding some fill ports:

68dJ5h.jpg

2 done:

gdvelh.jpg

All done:

GzOH6h.jpg

Not as messy now:

D27JTh.jpg

Time to get the workstation up and running so I can get back to work (once I've cleaned up of course). I'll be using the Koolance dual bay dual D5 reservoir for now. It's a real pain to use because it doesn't bleed well, however if you add on some tube from the fill ports on the res up to the fill ports on the case you can keep the water level above the reservoir and it really helps.

ruLwdh.jpg

Now we've freed up a 360 rad for the workstation gpu/motherboard/ram loop, we can put the loop together:

ANcC5h.jpg

I'm using AP15's temporarily until I'm done painting the low speed yates. Also that one barb is temporary too:

YpzPZh.jpg

The wiring is temporary too. So for loop testing, I disconnected the QDC's pulled the motherboard tray out of the case and the 360 out seperately, then I reconnected and filled the loop and left it to bleed/leak test on the counter for a few hours.

sE2ehh.jpg

Alright time for another update. Here's the loop testing for the workstation. Bear in mind this is not the final loop - it will be tidier with nicer fittings, for now I need to get my workstation up and running, I can pretty it up later.

sHpxvh.jpg

Some of the tube is the pink tube that I had mentioned before, that will be replaced. Bleeding of the annoying koolance reservoir was made easier by the dedicated fill ports and by the QDC's. The D5's struggle to push that much air out of the system, so it was much easier to bleed the cpu section and the radiator seperately and then connect them up as a whole:

53ezph.jpg

Now that it had passed leak testing it was time to take it to the office:

zag1Xh.jpg

It was now heavy (and bulky) and I didn't trust the BP crystal links not to loosen up if I didn't take it down the step smoothly, so I found a piece of plywood in the shed to help:

g9zE0h.jpg

First boot! Yay! It was just the kitchen that was covered in parts, so was the office, it's a real mess as I still had my old workstation running while I tweaked the clocks on this one.

XMrAO.jpg

I temporarily put the power supply in the top chamber while I did the overclocking tweaking:

lOixxh.jpg

Did a quick bench to see the limit of the chip, I couldn't get past 5.22GHz on water. I tried up to 1.66V, but nothing past 1.56 really helped. 5.22 means it's a pretty average 3930K, certainly no golden chip :( I tried to settle for a 24/7 clock of 4.95, but I didn't like the volts, so settled down for 4.9 instead, I'll see if I can tweak the memory faster than 2133 CL9 later, here's a SS of the 5.22:

8NpqS.jpg

Next I installed the power supplies properly, here you can see the optional PSU support bracket for long power supplies. It's probably not necessary, but why not? It comes with some rubber tape to damp any vibrations:

Xh7sih.jpg

Here's the first PSU installed:

Wp2SVh.jpg

A side diversion:

A board!

ZfwJEh.jpg

blah blah blah marketing - where's the window that the extreme boards have?

FEXZsh.jpg

Now there's a board

oSGTnh.jpg

I liked the door hanger - unfortunately this is for an overclocked workstation so not too useful here:

73g0jh.jpg

A large box for some memory (32giggles):

sAS12h.jpg

Matching:

5E9pQh.jpg

Oh and a cpu:

wxHafh.jpg

Best put that in the socket then:

qga2Nh.jpg

We should remove that plastic cover too:

n6sjah.jpg

Putting in that H100:

A09cbh.jpg

Yeah I know no custom water loop, but this is going to someone who can't be trusted with such things ;)

miniThief is getting there:

PSq1lh.jpg

miniThief- now with 100% more PSU:

EK7o9h.jpg

Don't forget a GPU (9800GT ftw!)

OW1jhh.jpg

Close up:

9TVbIh.jpg

ISO:

GjTZWh.jpg

So back to the *real* project. Now that my workstation was up and running, I could take the old one down:

CAWtEh.jpg

OMG dust! This is three months worth:

h7hT3h.jpg

Still yucky:

CnUwQh.jpg

FM6Lvh.jpg

Got out the duster and started taking it apart:

GLMpqh.jpg

Nearly done

S5nUjh.jpg

Now I've gone and made the kitchen messy again:

Xfe37h.jpg

So as it's the weekend you get bonus updates :)

This is how I initially wanted the PSU's to give maximum air intake:

Swvxoh.jpg

However the left PSU once it had cables would conflict with the 360 rad mounted in front of it, so I decided to move it:

0CHWfh.jpg

Done, you can see there's still a good amount of space in between:

dkEw6h.jpg

Now to mount them - they're going in the second to bottom compartment:

f6Q65h.jpg

and mounted:

cnGNhh.jpg

Now time to mount all the hard drives - here are the gaming rig drives:

rCuHlh.jpg

Now let's add in the workstation drives:

1wpUbh.jpg

old skool x25e:

AJ1z2h.jpg

All done:

p8ZOwh.jpg

Now to cable it - I hate how asus only give you sata cables with right angles at one end and straights at the other. For this build I really need straight to straights, so I had to order some more from the egg, this is the temporary rats nest:

YNoEbh.jpg

Yikes!

Alright a quick update as I got some more time to process photos (on a side note the first mdpc package came woot!)

I got the workstation back up and running:

zZYwih.jpg

But I had to use the gaming side for location of the power supply as the cables were not long enough to reach the real location. As you can see it makes a good storage room also:

Ta8tSh.jpg

Workstation in action - no 2nd 8800gt yet because I'm only driving two screens, the card is being used as a test card for now for some other rigs I'm building.

lvHJyh.jpg

Again a lot of fittings are temporary. So now back to the gaming rig. I transferred the sweet trident ram from my worksation to the gaming rig (I think it maybe hypers), it can do 2130 CL 8 and probably more but that's the limit of my 990x IMC. Should have tried two sticks in the 3770K rig I slapped together to see what it could really do! The ugly p6t board that was being used for the workstation is now going into a generic network maintenance use and will be put in a rack.

ulxT5h.jpg

A shot of that sexy ram:

XeB8Bh.jpg

And the motherboard tray:

M2FlNh.jpg

Here you can see I had soldered on an extra molex connector to the board (just to the bottom of the STX). My old case didn't have room to connect a power cable to the real connector, so this helped me give the gpus enough power.

BA9VTh.jpg

And now time to swap the 920 for that sweet 990x:

aar5Nh.jpg

Back