• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Prometia coming soon, need advice on new cpu

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ge|atinousFury

My system specs are in my sig, but they will have changed in 3 days when my new mobo and ram arrives. Here will be my new setup:

Abit NF7-S v2.0
XP1700+ JIUHB DLT3C 0310UMPW
1 GB Mushkin Black PCB Level II 2-2-2 PC3200 DDR
Enermax 431w PSU
GF4 Ti4400
SB Audigy
60GB Maxtor 2mb cache HDD
Air cooling as of now, will have Prometia in a month or so.

My question is, with Prometia cooling what would be my best processor choice? With my current xp1700 0310umpw, I hit 2.36ghz before I sold my watercooling loop (this was with 512mb samsung pc2700 ram with an Asus A7V333 mobo). About to what range is the limit of my chip, and could I ultimately get to a higher speed using a xp2100+ or a Barton, or what? I need some help here lol.

On the Athlon XP OC database at vr-zone, there seems to be no pattern whatsoever. I can't observe a single cpu that has dominated the rest. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Here's a variant on my previous question. I would still like to know what processors I could get the most OC out of, but should I replace my 0310UMPW with an 0310XMPW? I've read that the X's are doing pretty well, while the U's top out around 2.3 or so.

I have an 0310xpmw and it's doing 2.42 on air (see sig). I figure if I had watercooling I could up my vcore a bunch and get a bunch more out of it. It would be interesting to see you get a 2500 barton though and get it up to 3 ghz or so. That would be sweet!

So the 2500+ Barton's are pretty good overclockers? I was wondering if I could gain as much mhz off one of those as I can a xp1700 dlt3c

what are the usual max overclocks for barton 2500's?

JUIHB0310XPMW's can probably do >2.7 GHz on a Prometia (is this Mach I or II?)

On the other hand, if I were you, I'd go for a 2100+, seeing as you'd have a chance of going over 3 GHz, if your lucky both with the chip and are capable to modding your Prometia a little to get better temps.

You just may want to hold on to your current chip. Someone at xtremesystems, I think, got the exact same stepping up to 3.0ghz on a Prometeia. The UPMW is an interesting DLT3C, as it has no trouble at all with very high voltages. Once cooling is removed as a limiting factor, this things just plain fly. X's also do very well, but I don't think they'd do any better than a U in a Prometeia. 2500+'s seem to do quite well also, but again, I don't think its really worth it to change your 1700+.

Severian said:
JUIHB0310XPMW's can probably do >2.7 GHz on a Prometia (is this Mach I or II?)

Mach I......after a long and drawn out decision making process I decided against the Mach II

Gautam, that's interesting about the U's accepting high voltages unlike the other dlt3c's.

Back