• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Pros and Cons: T-Line vs. Res...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
thorilan said:
i stand by what i say. i know a bit about making res.
im not talking about construction quality of the materials im talking about functionality and use.
if the reseviors where of good design then like my sytems they would bleed within a minute at 100% and not have a negative impact on the system. most res now increase tubing length not decrease it. not to mention they are positioned porly due to case restraint.
no they cant help it but its still poor in design..

QFT

He has a point you should pay attention to. Not all reserviors are created equal. Bay res's and the like are made for aesthetics and don't function properly. That's why I generally don't recommend reservoirs to people new to W/Cing, they cause more trouble than they are worth in the long run.

YMMV when filling/bleeding your loop with a T-line/res, I've bled a T-line enough I can usually get it done in about 5 minutes. But a proper res (see the ghetto coffee res posted, it is pretty well designed) will bleed a loop faster and offer less restriction to the inlet of the water pump. Notice how the inlet to the pump is 1/2inch while the outlet is 3/8inch and how short the distance between pump and res is. That's how it SHOULD work. Can't do that with a T-line. Also notice how the return to the res is higher than the inlet, and there is minimal distance to the pump. You'll never get that proper function with a commercial bay res.

So to clarify this whole debate...

Homemade res (properly designed and custom fitted)>>Copper T-line >> Commercial res...

As for the ID of T-lines... depends on what you use. I stick to the copper Tees used for 3/8inch ID copper tubing, which actually is 7/16inch ID and 1/2inch OD. No more restrictive than the other fittings used in the loop. But most people use(and pay too much for) the plastic T-lines which has about 3/8inch or less ID.

It's not about how Thor "sees" them, but simply the fact that the majority of commercially available res's are not designed for ideal performance. It's a case of design versus physics, and design unfortunately won.

Adragontattoo said:
Would one of these http://www.highspeedpc.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=TankEx
Tank-o-matic (insert Hyperlink doesnt work for me under the new forum) work?? I know it is a res but wouldnt that make it really easy to fill? (dont do WCing yet so I dont know the pros and cons.

It would work, but there are still flaws in its design. Connections are too restrictive. The return and output are right next to each other instead of at different heights.

Really not worth $75 + Shipping.

i use a res just for looks. i've never had to refill or top off my setup for a year or so, and haven't had any leaks. i haven't lost any of the cooling abilities of the water over time either. i'd say just do what you want. in the long run it's down to personal prefrence over anything else.

Bad Maniac said:
It's not about how Thor "sees" them, but simply the fact that the majority of commercially available res's are not designed for ideal performance. It's a case of design versus physics, and design unfortunately won.

If you refuse to see this impromptu and essentially superfluous debate for what it is, that's your choice. However, my res functions as designed, meaning it does precisely what I want it too.

Perseus said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Maniac
If you refuse to see this impromptu and essentially superfluous debate for what it is, that's your choice. However, my res functions as designed, meaning it does precisely what I want it too.

I think we are getting into debating about 1C

"we" are not getting into debating anything. I'm sure your res works well enough for you, that doesn't mean it could't be improved.

this is true. but then again everything can be improved. either way, i was just saying that in terms of cooling i don't think it really matters any. draining/filling and looks are really the only things that should make up your mind.

edit: and i believe this should be a debate as the question posed was t-line vs res

perseus said:
Then you were OT. Seufari asked for pros and cons of each approach, not what the inherent flaws are in reservoirs, as you see them.
he asked another question after the initial one as seen below.

Seufari said:
Hey guys,

Thanks for all of the great info...

I now have two questions:

Is the DangerDen Bay Res poorly designed?
and...
Which is easier to empty the system and why?

Bad Maniac said:
"we" are not getting into debating anything. I'm sure your res works well enough for you, that doesn't mean it could't be improved.

There is room for improvement in everything - nothing is perfect.
Look at the wheel - it has been around for forever and they still try to improve it .

damn that wheel
<---- ( shakes fist in the air )

anywho...
Hey guys,

Thanks for all of the great info...

I now have two questions:

and...
Which is easier to empty the system and why?

I don't think the design is bad. I like it. Just my 2c. As for the construction of it, i've had no problems with mine. Maybe just throw a little extra goop on the fittings and never worry about it again.

As for empting the system, it depends. It probably isn't going to make a huge difference in difficulty.

Last edited:
Depending on where the ports on the res are located and how it is mounted says a lot on whether or not it will be easier to change the coolant. However on average that while the T line is harder to fill it is less difficult to empty.

Bad Maniac said:

Why are you trying to start a fight over this issue, BM? I never said commonly available reservoirs couldn't be improved upon, only that pitched battle over basic design isn't what this thread was about. Please, calm down.

thorilan said:
he asked another question after the initial one as seen below.

You mean this?

Seufari said:

Surely we can agree that there's at least SOME room for interpretation here. I answered the question in the most direct way possible. No, the current generation of DD bayres is not poorly designed. It fills/bleeds easily and acts as a coolant reserve, which is, after all, its design goal. It also shows no sign of wear or leakage. I based this opinion on 18-months of product use.

thorilan said:
most comersial made resiviors are poorly designed not due to the manufactuer but due to the constraints of whee in the case it can fit.

the atx and even the btx case design is old and hasnt changed in a while so res makers have to work within the structure of the case which limits thier ability to design them more efficiently.

Now, all of this may be true as you see it. I grant that. However, to say that your response was in line with the question asked is a bit of a stretch. I'm not trying to rag you out thorilan, but I think it's important to remember varied opinions are good for any forum, and should be encouraged.

If you want a res, I say find one that looks neat and buy it. If you don't want one, don't buy one. Should be as simple as that. I personally think they look cool, but if you think they are stupid then more power to you.There isn't a ton of difference.

well look at it this way. A res main function is to bleed a system and store coolant and add as little restriction to a loop as possible while reducing inlet cavitation . the bay res only achieves 1 of these well and 1 not at all while the other is still slow.

the basic design principles for it do not put the air above but level with the out poting. not a single person can bleed thier entire system in under a minute using a bay res without changing its mounting to whats not intended by the manufacturer. if done it will still add more resistance.

in most cases people want a res for 1 of 2 reasons.
1. looks
2 functionality

functionality has more than just holding liquid as a requirement to be a Good design

here is an example of a good design as seen in an old thread

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=304818&page=2&highlight=res

Attachments

• gluedinposition1.JPG
    gluedinposition1.JPG
    30.6 KB · Views: 183
Back