• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Pros and Cons: T-Line vs. Res...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
BWR said:
Im pretty sure those are these. (If that made sense...)

@ Electron Chaser:
Is that PrimoChill ICE in your loop? Oh and by the way, its looking GOOD. I presume it is for your Denali?

Yes those are the ones and yes it is PrimoChill ICE. Thanks man, Click on the link to my project and you can see more pics of how it is al laid out.

Speedmonkay said:
It looks like them but modded a little ... instead of input and output on the bottom it looks like he made a input on top and 2 outputs on the bottom

Kinda the reservoirs are Teed together both inputs and both outputs so that I draw equally from both to feed my pumps and I disperse equally to both when the coolant is returned to the res after completing the loop. The ports on top I modded to be a fill port and to equalize the pressure in each res so they each hold the same level of coolant.

Lastly to the other people who posted on this thread who know who they are, quit with the flaming there are better ways of handling it and supporting your views. FIRST AND LAST WARNING.

Here is the res that I made for my system:

front1.jpg

And here is how I have it mounted:

front.jpg

For my custom setup the res achieves my goals. It has a vertical center divider which causes air bubbles to go to the top very well, and hence it bleeds very quickly. I have it running to a fillport above it and another fillport in the radiator itself which lends to easy filling/bleeding. It does add to tubing length, but that is one minor issue I am willing to live with as I love the "bling" factor it gives. I also at a glance know the fluid level.

In this system, a t-line would have been harder to implement than using a custom res.

In my last system using a "normal" metal case, I had the res at the top of the loop with the barbs pointing down which also made it very easy to fill/bleed.

res2.jpg

All I had to do was take the top of the case off (2 thumbscrews) to get at it.

Whether to use a res or a t-line is not a "one size fits all" issue. A good res works very well. A well placed t-line can work well also. It depends on things like how you set things up, the case layout, and also what type of res you use if you use one.

Perseus said:
For the sake of this community you should be banned. Perhaps that last explosion of self-serving incoherence will be enough to trigger your demise. Either way, feel free not to direct anything towards me, and I'll be more than happy to return the favor.

mods please take care of this . this is a copy of his only pm to me. im posting this publicly for record to validate everything i previously posted as to demonstrate his lack of reguard for the rules and lack of respect for others.
Noobie_DOO said:
To this end, we have established a few simple rules which allow for a broad diversity of opinions and points of view to express themselves, without creating disharmony and ill-will. They are as follows:

1. Absolutely NO personal attacks will be tolerated, no exceptions!

voigts said:
For my custom setup the res achieves my goals. It has a vertical center divider which causes air bubbles to go to the top very well, and hence it bleeds very quickly. I have it running to a fillport above it and another fillport in the radiator itself which lends to easy filling/bleeding. It does add to tubing length, but that is one minor issue I am willing to live with as I love the "bling" factor it gives. I also at a glance know the fluid level.
:confused:
How do you add a fillport to your radiator? The only way I would imagine doing that would be cutting the copper up to fit the fillport in. Even then, it would reduce thermal conductivity because not all of the radiator is used.

OK I better get my green text on for this one.

The bickering stops now. The aim of this thread is to help a member further understand an important choice in water cooling, not to argue and bicker over small details.

Perseus - quit jumping on people in such a condescending manner for going what you saw as a little off topic. It was relevant to the subject at hand, from what I saw. Also I strongly recommend you don't send such PMs. If you dont like a member, grow up and ignore them.

Thorilan - It is perhaps sometimes best to simply say you disagree and leave an argument when it gets like this - all it continues to do is bring the thread down.

If this continues I'll be doing more than posting in green text.

Electron Chaser said:
I like my res setup. Sure it is complete overkill but I had the space so I might as well use it. It looks nice and is very fucntional and if I ever decide to go with 2 seperate loops I can change it. Anyway here is a pic.

Edited out the pic..

OK WOW ELectron that looks NICE. though Blue isnt my favorite color but wow nice industrial look there. I am starting to plan out a WCing build/case that is pretty industrial in design, mind if I copy that look?

Questions Re: 5.25 bay reservoirs, everyone I have seen involves pulling the res out X amount to get to the fillport unless you either route in a seperate fillport connected to that or put it up high enough to connect a fillport from the res through the top of the case. Is there one that is designed around filling from the front (logistically probably not feasible though).

A T line to me ususally looks odd if you can see it in the pictures/case. Im not a fan of the whole line to nowhere design. I dont know enough about thermal dynamics, physics, or flow rates realistically to put in more then opinions and questions but wouldnt the reduced flow rate be equaled out by the extra volume of a Res?

Adragontattoo said:
BTW could someone ask Electron why he is cooling with Windex?

LOL because if I ever get a leak it will leave a streak free cleanup. LOL Actually didn't you see that movie My Big Fat Greek Wedding?

What happened got a leak and ruined your video card? "Put some Windex on it?"

LOL It isn't Windex. It is that PC ICe stuff.

Electron Chaser said:
LOL because if I ever get a leak it will leave a streak free cleanup. LOL Actually didn't you see that movie My Big Fat Greek Wedding?

What happened got a leak and ruined your video card? "Put some Windex on it?"

LOL This has to be one of the funniest posts in a long time!! Thanks for the laugh!!

BWR said:
:confused:
How do you add a fillport to your radiator? The only way I would imagine doing that would be cutting the copper up to fit the fillport in. Even then, it would reduce thermal conductivity because not all of the radiator is used.

The end tanks of my car rad are plastic. All I had to do was to find a convenient flat part in the end tank and drill a hole and then tap it out to accept a brass plumbing stop bolt with an O-ring around it. It is very easy to do.

My radiator came with a fillport and a drain petcock too...don't all truck radiators? :D

Thermal conductivity doesn't matter at all for the end tanks, until you can show us a shroud that includes them in the airflow....;)

ƒÓÒl said:
You can't fill it without moving it or a CD drive to access the cap, plus it doesn't hold enough water to fill your system. Sounds exactly like a poor design to me.

...unless you have a system that uses drive rails so you can slide it out. I'm not a big fan of drive rails, but since I'm stuck with them anyways they are actually functional on a bayres.

It would be a PITA if I had the res screwed in directly...not sure how I'd feel about using one in that situation.

Back