• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

protecting a wireless lan

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

elitebear4

stupid college kids in my area are stealing bandwidth from my wireless lan. how do i preven them from being able to do this. how do i make my lan private?

in the router options.

enable WPA-PSK if you can. more secure than WEP.

PSK = Public Shared Key. Basically, you just have to type in a password if you want to control access.

urgh. well i have no idea where my manual is. i guess im gonna have to look online.

is there any other way to get to the options besides having to know an ip address?

yes, go to start --> run
type command
type ipconfig /all
it should be your default gateway. Type that IP into your browser.

hmmm that seems to be right. when i put it in, a window pops up asking me to put in a username and password. however, when i fill em in and press enter, it just reopens the same window =/

Kendan said:
what model router for the second time. you also have to know the default password.

Yeah basically we need to know what kinda router. If you set a password before and forgot you are gonna need to reset the router (little button on the router somewhere). Once that happens it will reset to the default login. Every manufacturer is different so we need to know who makes it.

Ok I can not find it on linksys's site. But I am pretty sure Linksys uses 192.168.1.1 for the addy of the router and the username is blank and the pass is admin. you want to change your ssid and disable the broadcast of it then enable WPA and also set up mac filtering. Good luck:D

Yep. Linksys uses 192.168.1.1, username blank password is admin. The best thing to do (and probably easiest) is to block all mac addresses except your computers'. This will prohibit all connections to your wireless networks except from nic's that have the mac address you specify.

what do i write for wpa shared key?

edit: my dad uses a mac. how do i figure out his ip address so he can access the network?

hold on. this seems like its gonna block everything. my brother runs on wireless, so how do i allow him to get in the network?

Just curious - did you do any reading on wireless before you bought this?

your router is likely yhe wrT54G not K

Not to sound rude but i would not say "stupid" college kids stealing your banwdith - closer to not so intellegent person who set it up and is letting anyone connect.

these encrypteds keys ONLY are used by people connecting by Wireless not local LAN ports - your borther will have to configure his wireless card to use those keys.

Also, you know by leaving your network wide open before - they also had access to ANY shared directories on your network...

Like any new system you should read up on it first before running out and buying it and simply plugging it in.

it says i have to go into command prompt for each of my pcs. but my dad has a mac. how do i access some sort of command prompt?

Back