• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PS3 games' SPE usages

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Quite interesting.

Makes you wonder how powerful the PS3 really is, and what kind of games, physics, and environments we will see in the next year or so, when developers REALLY start using the PS3 to its full potential.

We're still on the 1st generation of PS3 games. Just like the PS2, and the 360...as time passes, games get bigger, Look better, tend to be longer, and in general, have more stuff going on at once.

Honestly, I think there is a great deal of power left in the SPEs. My worry comes from the other parts of the system bottlenecking it. From what I have read the Cell was originally designed to handle graphical processing so unlike a normal CPU it should not bottleneck it as much, but if you put that together with say lack of ram you could start running into some bottlenecks. Anyway good read.

This is a good start to unraveling the SPE mystery. I look forward to a more technical article sometime soon. Arstechnica (SP?) should do a write up on PS3 game coding and SPE usage. They always do a nice job of explaining the technical crap.

this may or may not be true, but streaming is supposed to play a part in that "lack of ram"

If you were asking then you are correct, streaming does help keep data out of the ram. The problem is the Blu-Ray drive could be a bottleneck for streaming. Also I am not really saying the Ram is an issue, just was pointing out some obvious things.

Just putting in my two cents with a generic comment...there's no real substitute for not having enough RAM...it's either there or it isn't. Not saying the PS3 doesn't have enough, I guess we'll see.

But they said the emotion engine was also suppose to end load times...which obviously didn't happen if you ever played PS2.

Well we all knew that the SPE's wheren't going to be fully utilized til Gen 2 or 3 games anyways. Rather interesting though how some use it partially or fully. Just getting a grasp of what it can and can't handle is the bigger part to it than anything I'd think.

PS3 is a good piece of hardware. Miss understood yes, but as well its pricey which puts it out in left field for many people to even consider such a system. If sony can reduce the costs of it surely they will benifit more to getting the unit out there for gamers and movie viewers alike.

Back