• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ps3 liquid cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'm not entirely sure on the tape, sorry. I'd assume the tape that sometimes comes with the probe would work? I contemplated adding a temp probe after mine kept shutting off, but as the PSU fan mod seemed to work I decided against it.

The motherboard doesn't need a fan installed, no. It booted up fine without one installed. I just decided to use it for the one fan to reduce the load on my 12V adapter running the pump and rad fans.

maybe I will get a in line temp sensor instead of a temp probe on the cpu it may not be as accurate but it will work

also what do you think about adding a filter like this one

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/16967/ex-tub-
1372/Innovatek_Liquid_Cooling_Inline_Particulate_Filter_without_cartridge_501531.html?tl=g30c229s1472

do you think it will help keep my loop clean or is it pointless

hopefully I wont fry my ps3 when I reassemble it :chair:

I gotta say that I think you're being a little over cautious personally. You really don't need a temp probe or filter, but if you do want them they'll work. An inline sensor will let you know the temp of the loop and is still a good indication of problems should one arise, though I only have a 360mm rad and I've had no temp issues so your rad you listed will definitely handle it. That filter looks pretty neat too. I've yet to tear down my loop so I'm still unsure of any gunk I might have accumulated :p

Oh and don't worry about frying anything. I was worried about that too but as long as you're careful the PS3 is pretty resilient.

well i am not worried about the koolance not being enough just want to add temp probes so it can regulate fan speed automatically

and the reason i was so worried about taking apart the ps3 is it seems a lot more work then a desktop but thanks for the encouragement skorpien that its not that hard ;)

and i just ordered the waterblocks :D

Awesome :) it's finally getting started! That makes sense with the temp probes. I would love to see the temps you get with the different speeds of the fans. I'm curious about the thermal performance and it's the only thing I wonder about with mine. It's really a shame Sony didn't include a temperature screen or status notification with the PS3, and frankly I'm too busy/lazy to open it back up just to install temp probes :p

And now I'm starting to think about more upgrades... PSU, temp probes, LEDs if I can figure something out... Did I mention this site is horrible for my wallet?

Yeah it's by no means as easy as a PC to open up, and it's a little confusing taking it apart at first, but now I can do it in no time flat. I guess that's one good thing about having the overheating issues, lots of practice!

now i just need to order the whopping over pried radiator fan combo :p

and fans and :blah: :blah:

when the water blocks come i can have a photo shoot :)

and i will take all the temp results and take lots of photos when i get around to it

in your open what tubing color looks nice with the ps3

"Did I mention this site is horrible for my wallet" the more you know the worse it is for your wallet :rofl:

" I guess that's one good thing about having the overheating issues, lots of practice!"

that made me lough

also
merry Christmas to all who read this thred

Sorry, I'm confused. What exactly do you mean? The aluminum shielding?

PS: Sorry for the lack of reply previously. Holidays just came out of nowhere. I'm still recovering :p

PPS: Merry Belated Christmas and a Happy New Year! :chair:

Last edited:
yes the aluminum shielding sometimes the thermal adhesive which is like epoxy dries up and you need a razor to do it

also do you like red or clear tubing

and later I will make a part list so you can see what I am planning

and maybe check it for missing supplies ;)

by the way when you added me on psn it says you haven't signed in for 50 days the strange thing is you had to sign in to add me

Last edited:
and a little off topic my vintage automatic popcorn machine project :p

as you can see it needs lots of tlc its my present to myself :rain:

Attachments

• 049.JPG
    049.JPG
    730.8 KB · Views: 142
  • 052.JPG
    052.JPG
    738.7 KB · Views: 157
  • 053.JPG
    053.JPG
    762.4 KB · Views: 133
Oops. I guess I have my settings to always appear offline :chair: I should change that.

The shielding does serve a purpose. It helps heat dissipate for the parts that aren't in direct contact with the waterblock. That said I've seen builds where they transplanted the PS3 into a PC case without the shield, but I assume the increased airflow from case fans makes up for it. It'll sit better in the PS3 housing with the shield on but I don't think it's absolutely necessary, though I'm not 100% positive.

For the tubing, I'd choose red. I prefer colored tubing over clear.

That is a sweet machine! I have an air popper that makes a horrible mess if you're not careful to catch it right away. Yours would be awesome to have!

well if you are in the market for a popcorn machine like the popperette

its gona cost you around 6000 :D

and if you want to see it in action here is a link

the funny thing is I don't eat much popcorn so I guess am kind of :screwy: to buy it

mine isn't operational for now

and air popping doesn't taste very good its like dry Styrofoam then again it is better for you :rofl: if you want better tasting popcorn try using coconut oil in a pan on the stove

and if you want to know how to make it taste like the movie theaters just let me know

and I would really appreciate you change the settings so I can see when your online

sorry I did not check back in a while I got hooked on assassins creed black flag

You guys and yer fancy popping corn machines! :p

I think I spent maybe $15 on mine? I can't justify spending much more. Though I'm sure it would taste much better. (Melted butter poured on top definitely helps though.)

No worries cat1560, I've been in that same situation.

And I think I was wrong about that setting since I couldn't find it anywhere on the PS4. Now that I think back though, I'm pretty sure I approved your request from my iPhone so it would make sense to say that I haven't logged on in a while. Does it say that I was on a few days ago? I was playing Knack over the weekend for a few hours.

Oh very nice vintage popcorn machine there. Nothing like Rick from American Restoration couldn't restore. I got a FunTime Full Size Carnival Style 8oz Hot Oil Popcorn Machine which I enjoy during movie time. I use those 4 oz and 8 oz all in one packets.

well I found a guy in Wisconsin to do it for me rick charges to much for me :)

and skorpien it says last sign in 2 months ago also in order to change it on ps3 it should be the same ps4 all you do is go to your profile in friends press triangle and it will say something like online options

the reason you may of missed it is because it is not listed unless you go to your profile

also do you know if threads around here get locked as I hope I can post the finished ps3 liquid cooling photos :p

Ah, I'll give that a try, thanks :)

As far as I know, they do not get locked, no. Not unless they violate the forum rules. I wouldn't worry about having it locked. I've seen people resurrect threads that are 10+ years old from time to time.

"As far as I know, they do not get locked, no. Not unless they violate the forum rules. I wouldn't worry about having it locked. I've seen people resurrect threads that are 10+ years old from time to time."

well that's a relief

blazing quick answer :cool:

also skorpien welcome to the ps4 club :attn:

and in a couple of years you will see a thread pop up about ps4 liquid cooling :rofl:

turns out some guy already made a liquid cooled ps4 :-/

Last edited:
Crazy. Already? I'm not brave enough to void my warranty just yet. At least with the PS3 I waited until it was well past its warranty period...

I was part of the club on launch day :p Had my unit waiting for me when I got home from work :)

I got AC4 for it for Christmas, but I've yet to play through the other ones and it would suck working backwards through the series. I kind of want to experience the story line in the way the developers intended. One of these days I'll catch up on my AC...

turns out some guy already made a liquid cooled ps4 :-/

Something tells me that's a fake. He doesn't show anything where or what its cooling other than swarming the camera around the test bench and zooming in on other parts. Could be a troll trying to get lots of tube views which I am sure he'll succeed.

well maybe it was a fake it doesn't really mater and I don't really care :)

just thought it was interesting even if it is fake probably is lol

I also got my ps4 lunch day they gave them away in unbranded black bags to avoid theft the funny thing is I live in a nice neighborhood guess you cant be to safe

Back