• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ps3 liquid cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
well thanks for all the help from everybody ask any questions about this project if you like I will answer them

and when the project is finally complete I will post picks until then make sure to check back for updates

so for now this thread will be pretty quit unless someone wants to chip in

don't give up on this thread as I will try to answer all you questions and keep it updated as best as I can I will also be including a build log when I finally get to it :D

thanks for the support i will probably need it as am sure i will run into some kind of problem when am doing it and i hope you can help me out :)

to bad there are no clear cases for the ps3 60gb :(

and if i get the huge radiator i can use it to liquid cool my ps4 to :p

ans maybe add a solid state drive to make it awesome

I can hear your wallet screaming from all the way over here... poor thing... lol

Yeah I looked for the clear case too. The only ones I found were for the Slim.

is there any automatic 120 volt fan controller's out there as I don't want to adjust it all the time

and I just realized how messy all the wiring is going to be with all the fan cables and temp probes :-/

Last edited:
the parts list will be up soon as a have to convert all the files and finish up

just to tired right know its getting late :p

Hey cat1560, sorry for the late reply.

I'm not entirely sure about the fan controller question. Do you want one that's controlled by temperature or by PWM? I'm sure there are some external fan controllers that allow for varying speeds based on the temperature of the block with a temp sensor, or you can modify an internal one to work too.

You can also see if you can get a rheobus controller that allows voltage controlling of 3-pin fans using one PWM header on the motherboard. All you would need to do is modify the PS3's stock fan header and swap out the wires with that of the fan controller (I did this for the PWM fan I have mounted on the bottom). This allows the PS3 itself to control the speed of the fans. The Sunbeam rheobus controllers I've seen also support manual mode, so you can set the fans' speed yourself.

Sunbeam rheobus controller:
http://www.performance-pcs.com/cata...ge=product_info&cPath=36_48&products_id=30058

I can provide you with the pinout for the stock fan header if you need.

Edit: Just an aside, according to Google, apparently there isn't a way to hide your online status on the PS3/PS4. That would explain why I have been unable to find the option to do so. Pressing triangle in any of the menus didn't do anything (neither did Option), so I'm completely stumped as to why it isn't showing that I've been online...

I think I had the Xbox 360 confused with the PS3...

Last edited:
well temp sensing would be best but it must be external

and the way of connecting a fan controller to the the motherboard would not work as the temp sensor is welded to the bottom of the cpu or gpu and since it will be liquid cooled the probe on the cpu and or gpu would say its cool while the motherboard and power supply is sweating and since the probe says its cool it would never increase fan speed :(

so the only way is to get some external temp probes and controller and install them In several areas inside the ps3

maybe a http://www.overclockersonline.net/?p=50084721 would work with a power adapter :)

well here is the parts list comment if I am missing anything

and maybe it says your not online because your are playing with your ps4 and I checked on my ps3 I will check on my ps4 latter and see if it is any different

Attachments

• Anti static bags.doc
    10.1 KB · Views: 18
  • Anti static gloves.doc
    10 KB · Views: 13
  • Anti static mat.doc
    10.1 KB · Views: 23
  • Anti static tweezers.doc
    9.8 KB · Views: 20
  • Anti static wrist wrap.doc
    10.1 KB · Views: 19
  • Cpu and gpu elbow connectors.doc
    9.9 KB · Views: 24
  • Cpu and gpu cleaning wipes.doc
    9.8 KB · Views: 21
  • Cpu and gpu compression fittings.doc
    9.9 KB · Views: 22
  • Fan filter material.doc
    10.1 KB · Views: 26
  • Inline particle filter.doc
    10.3 KB · Views: 15
  • Pre made coolant.doc
    9.8 KB · Views: 18
  • Ps3 cpu and gpu water block.doc
    10.3 KB · Views: 30
  • Ps3 fan 120 to 12 volt adapter.doc
    10.2 KB · Views: 24
  • Ps3 fan.doc
    10.6 KB · Views: 27
  • Ps3 liqued cooling tubing.doc
    9.9 KB · Views: 17
  • Ps3 liquid cooling temperature sensor.doc
    10 KB · Views: 28
  • Ps3 thermal pads.doc
    9.8 KB · Views: 16
  • Pump radiator receiver and fans combo.doc
    10 KB · Views: 20
  • Quick disconnect compression fitting.doc
    9.8 KB · Views: 48
  • Quick disconnect male fitting.doc
    11.1 KB · Views: 21
  • Quick disconnects.doc
    9.8 KB · Views: 28
  • Rubber fan mounting screws.doc
    10.3 KB · Views: 22
  • Rubber fan seal so no air escapes.doc
    10 KB · Views: 26
  • Screw holder.doc
    10.1 KB · Views: 23
  • Thermal paste and old thermal paste remover.doc
    10.1 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Way too much work having to open those all in word to check out the links :p

That controller would work for sure. I'd look into getting a 12V/5V molex AC/DC adapter to power it:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812123309

Or you can tap the 12V and 5V lines from the PS3's PSU if you're adventurous.

And don't forget, that unit comes with a PCI card that all the fans and temp probes plug into. You'll need to work that into your build as well. Here's the manual for more info:

http://www.nzxt.com/uploads/downloads/manuals/manual_sentry_lxe_multi.pdf

well thanks for finding that adapter I did not even though they existed :)

and I don't think I will mesh around with the power supply I would probably electrocute myself :-/

sorry about all the word documents I was to lazy to to put it all in one document or write a parts list from scratch :p

and don't worry about the pci card there easy to work with the liquid cooler has one two its more about finding a way to conceal it

to bad there is no such thing as wireless temp probes :(

I have a PS3 60gb fat (launch model) as well and it sounds like an RC ducted fan jet. It's really annoying, and has kept me from really using it as much as I'd like. I replaced the thermal paste, went to an APS-231 power supply, and tried all the tricks. The main system fan still runs at Mach 2.

Sadly the PS4 doesn't do DLNA, 3D Bluray, and a bunch of other stuff the PS3 did... So my PS3 has to stay on my equipment rack for now.

cat1560, come to think of it, it's probably best you don't mess around with the PSU. I was half joking but I realize now that could have been bad :-S Sorry...

Those 12V/5V AC/DC adapters are great. They're mostly meant to be able to test components without having to use an actual PC PSU, but they come in handy for mods like this. I have my rad fans, 80mm PSU fan and pump powered by one. I didn't want to put too much stress on the PS3's PSU so I'm only using it to power the one 120mm PWM fan.

Rix, I think those issues with the PS4 will probably all be fixed with a future firmware update. Sony was probably on a tight deadline to get the PS4 to production in time for launch. I can't see them taking too much longer to enable those features.

I'm keeping my PS3 simply because I have way too many PS3 games that I can't play otherwise. I understand Sony's decision not to include backwards compatibility but it makes having a clean, uncluttered entertainment center next to impossible when you're a technophile...

I know exactly what you mean about the sound of the fan. I'd be watching Netflix and I'd have to crank the volume to be able to hear anything. And don't get me started on how it sounded when I was gaming...

The difference is night and day. It's so quiet now that if it weren't for the blue glow of the fans, I wouldn't know they were on.

honestly I must of got a good ps3 as with stock cooling it really goose up to fan speed 3 when playing games and stays around 2 when you're on Netflix but I am still gona water cool it :p

and I am sure its not that bad to mess with power supplies' if you know what you're doing but I don't so that's why I will leave it alone and live a longer happier life :)

just hope I figure out where to put all the external parts as I don't have much space I can post pics later of my rather cramped space :(

and the reason probably think my ps3 is quiet is because I keep my speakers loud

and skorpien when you play assassins creed 4 I can tell you to get money fast later in the game

Back