• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ps3 vs xbox360 rant

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Also, the PS3 seems to get a lot of ports from the xbox. I think black ops runs at a lower resolution and doesn't stay at 60fps constant like the xbox.

Strictly appliance speaking, the 360 is the better appliance.

Eeeeeeeeh, maybe. BluRay is a pretty big shoe-in for the PS3, especially since it is wireless out of the box with netflix. Most set-top BR players need an adapter to go wireless. PS3 gets the nod for ease of upgrade as it gives all BR security if needed in system updates, which are easy enough to do on the PS3 as opposed to set-top players.

Until I get deeper into GT5 I will reserve judgment. Initial experience, Forza3 walks all over GT5 in sheer game design. The physics engine could be argued all day, but who knows.

It's a shame that Forza 3 got no love and is now being bundled and seems like "filler". I spent hours just buying cars and tweaking them to do things they likely weren't designed to do. GT5 is indeed prettier...on 200 cars, but FM3 is hardly an eye sore.

I really hope GT5 delivers once I get into it. Sim racing needs some blood pumping in it. I'm tired of Generic arcade racers.

@Aynjell: We disagree again.

What I mean to say is, in terms of gaming, it's the better appliance. Hardware wise you'll get more out of a PS3 if you have the time to learn to program on whatever the hell Cell's got going on, but Xbox 360 is far more straight forward, and what is more, they've got way more quadruple A titles on it than PS3 does. By Quadruple A, I mean, yeah you got triple A titles, stuff that everybody plays. Quadruple A's sell required equipment (Halo 3 -> Xbox 360::GT5? -> PS3)

In terms of a GAMING APPLIANCE, Xbox 360 is the better piece of equipment of the two. A body with a Wii and a 360 could probably be happy forever, or until the next console rush. Between the two you get 95% of all possible titles. Change either of those consoles out for the PS3 and the title coverage drops. That to me says it's a WORSE gaming appliance, a worse means to an end. If you can make that sacrifice happily for blu-ray playback, good for you. I'm glad it's a good compromise, but my statement stands pretty firmly.

Not trying to be rude or convince anybody, but just stating where I stand on it. Hardware can be better all day, but if you can't play anything on it, what's the point? LINUX is the better platform in a lot of ways but it's not the gamer's platform of choice for many many good reasons, much like the above. The 360 is the windows of the console world, PS3 is LINUX... or something closer to it. It gets some of the games, but it's VERY rare to see a game on the PS3 that isn't available on the Xbox 360, and those exceptions never sell consoles. The ONLY exception is GT5, potentially.

Perhaps I argue from a different viewpoint. Perhaps a consumer might want to hear IMOG's stance, an investor would probably want to hear mine.

And with Kinect selling like hotcakes, you can kiss the Wii goodbye. 360 is taking over that market as well.

With generic store brand titles? Nope. Kids want "Fruit Loops", not "sweetened grain wheels". Mario, Zelda, Metroid, and other games based on these characters will sell consoles for generations.

Perhaps I argue from a different viewpoint. Perhaps a consumer might want to hear IMOG's stance, an investor would probably want to hear mine.

Nah, I agree with you again. I'd agree about the 360 being the preferable gaming appliance in my mind, though I do think its inferior quality and hardware with other offsetting superior gaming qualities (like you've highlighted which make it better).

If I were naming a better appliance however, without qualifying the term appliance, I'd still name PS3... Its a formidable gaming system, a great bluray solution, and I've found it superior for streaming.

I don't have either, but I've lived with people in recent years where we did a lot of gaming and streaming. Both got used equally, the 360 mostly for gaming, the PS3 for media.

nintendo will never lose this race just because of teh simple factor that they have all those characters in 100% ownership

granted yes my info may be a little old but i did clearly label any old facts with an (old) tag. and from what i can see from reading all the posts above the only stand out reason why the xbox is keeping up is because of Halo....still doesnt make 100% sense to me

With generic store brand titles? Nope. Kids want "Fruit Loops", not "sweetened grain wheels". Mario, Zelda, Metroid, and other games based on these characters will sell consoles for generations.

2.5 million units for Kinect in 25 days is nothing to balk at. Dance Central is a KILLER app for that peripheral. It's only been out a month. Give the Devs a chance.

And kids these days have no clue what Zelda and Metroid are.

nintendo will never lose this race just because of teh simple factor that they have all those characters in 100% ownership

granted yes my info may be a little old but i did clearly label any old facts with an (old) tag. and from what i can see from reading all the posts above the only stand out reason why the xbox is keeping up is because of Halo....still doesnt make 100% sense to me
The Xbox now has wireless-N built in. It comes with a 250GB HDD. The RROD is a non-point now with the new hardware changes to the chipset.
Name an exclusive to PS3 other than Uncharted that's worth a damn. Please.
Mass Effect, Halo, GoW, Forza, etc etc for the 360.

Now Live has ESPN. Add Zune, Netflix, Last.fm, etc to that, it is a full media experience now.

Devs still haven't reached the full potential of the 360.

Nah, I agree with you again. I'd agree about the 360 being the preferable gaming appliance in my mind, though I do think its inferior quality and hardware with other offsetting superior gaming qualities (like you've highlighted which make it better).

If I were naming a better appliance however, without qualifying the term appliance, I'd still name PS3... Its a formidable gaming system, a great bluray solution, and I've found it superior for streaming.

I don't have either, but I've lived with people in recent years where we did a lot of gaming and streaming. Both got used equally, the 360 mostly for gaming, the PS3 for media.

So you're saying that for gaming, the Xbox 360 is the better gaming appliance? I agree for media, ps3 is better, but I ain't buying a PS3 for that reason. I can buy most off the shelf blu-ray players for that.

2.5 million units for Kinect in 25 days is nothing to balk at. Dance Central is a KILLER app for that peripheral. It's only been out a month. Give the Devs a chance.

Sure they have. And if they haven't they've heard of marcus fenix and master chief.

I'm going to have to disagree with this point. They do know, because those games didn't stop with the NES. As a matter of fact, my 9 year old nephew still plays Super Mario 3 on my old Super Nintendo. I even still play it on my Wii when the mood strikes me.

To be completely honest, IMO, all of the XBox vs. PS3 going back and forth is nothing more than fanboy bickering. They both have things they might do better than the other, but each one has it's place.:thup:

ok so some new xbox's come with wireless-n and some other features but do they cost a mere $300? yea didnt think so

Name an exclusive to PS3 other than Uncharted that's worth a damn. Please.
Mass Effect, Halo, GoW, Forza, etc etc for the 360.
Now Live

A game that's worth *WHO'S" damn? Do be base what is a good game by what YOU enjoy, or what someone else enjoys? Those kind of arguments are baseless, what's good is a matter of opinion...but since you asked...

Metal Gear Solid 4, God of War 3, GT5, Little Big Planet, 3D Dot Game Heroes, Cross X Edge, Valkyria Chronicles, and Wipeout HD. That's not to mention the couple of RPG's that originally came out on the 360, but a year later got ported to the PS3 with Extra content, More characters, more voice acting, and better audio ( either uncompressed, or less compression ).

Oh, and Mass Effect 2 isn't a 360 Exclusive. It's also out on PC.

But pretty much all the games I listed, I have enjoyed quite a bit ( Except for GT5, and Wiepout HD. Didn't play them, But I know some people who are loving GT5, and love Wipeout HD. )

Again, I'm not trying to push the 360 off a cliff. Nothing personal, against anyone in this thread, or against any specific console. Just going after bad arguments in general.

I also have to 100% disagree with this statement.

You can't go to any gaming website or blog without seeing Zelda, Metroid, Mario, or megaman. You can't go to any store that sells shirts without seeing a mario, or zelda shirt. Go to an FYE store, or a Hot Topic. Mario, MegaMan, Zelda...they are plastered all over every piece of consumer apparel imaginable.

Go to youtube and look up video game music. The majority of all gaming music is either direct rips of the 80's and early 90's games, or people playing their own version of those exact songs on piano's, Keyboards, Guitars...etc.

Old school gaming characters are currently the popular thing. And they will continue to stay popular as long as people still get that feeling of nostalgia, and Nintendo keeps making money from them.

'I'm pretty sure the ps3 and xbox 360 both work fine as media streamers if done with tversity. PS3 seems to make the video look better, not sure if its upscaling or better post processing or what.

Moved to console gaming section.'

+1

Tiversity rocks with my PS3! :)

'PS3 can play a lot of ps2 and ps one games. Netflix, hulu plus, downloadable exclusive content and games, purchase and rent movies at the Playstation store, free online gaming, play standard and blueray movies, stream movies from a PC, fold and some other stuff.'

Also regarding the playback of older PS2 and PS games, only some older 1st gen PS3's were able to that I thought.. Mine will not play them. Sony dropped the implementation of the PS2 Emotion Engine about 3 years into the 1st gen's life because it was costly to build.

'I'm pretty sure the ps3 and xbox 360 both work fine as media streamers if done with tversity. PS3 seems to make the video look better, not sure if its upscaling or better post processing or what.

Moved to console gaming section.'

+1

Tiversity rocks with my PS3! :)

'PS3 can play a lot of ps2 and ps one games. Netflix, hulu plus, downloadable exclusive content and games, purchase and rent movies at the Playstation store, free online gaming, play standard and blueray movies, stream movies from a PC, fold and some other stuff.'

Also regarding the playback of older PS2 and PS games, only some older 1st gen PS3's were able to that I thought.. Mine will not play them. Sony dropped the implementation of the PS2 Emotion Engine about 3 years into the 1st gen's life because it was costly to build.

Correct. There was a 40gb and... 60? that played the games for the phat version. Even then they didn't play a lot of the games, it was just a half assed attempt at emulation.

The slims and EVERY other version of the phats do not play any PS2 games. Their justification if i recall was that it was a completely different type of processing etc that ran the games and they physically had to build things into the system to get it to work properly...

It bums me out as i had lots of ps2 games i liked and wouldn't mind trying again, but whatever it's only a matter of time before the pc gets an emulator.

On topic. I own ps3 but like 360. Both have a lot of exclusives that interest me and don't interest me. Games like Halo i have never liked and GT5 i can't just because i find racing games so dull and monotous.

It's a moot arguement in general, everyone likes what they like. I bought an original xbox when i was 17? just so i could play morrowind, who cares. $300 per system is not much unless you are younger than 16. You get a job and justify costs as you see fit. We spend a lot more money on other things and don't need to justify it to anyone else.

To reiterate my point, get over it people, this is a never ending arguement. We will never change anyones mind and won't really tell somebody something they don't know. It will always, always be "Ps3 is better" "NO NO, xbox 360 is superior". Who cares?

Last edited:
Back