• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ps3 vs xbox360 rant

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
ok to start i am sick of every one trying to say the xbox is in fact better than the ps3. when i can then turn and ask them about the difference of HDD rpm's and they get lost so here it is my rant on the two systems

ps3-free multiplayer
xbox360-$$ per year to play multi

From my experience Xbox multiplayer offers a better experience and is better supported then playstation multiplayer.

ps3-$300 for HDMI support, WiFi, Blu-Ray, 120GB HDD, cell Processor.
Xbox 360-$300 for system + ectra $$$ for wifi HDMI large HDD

Xboxs have had HDMI support for years now. The new xboxs come with wifi as well, wireless-n compatible in fact (to my knowledge ps3 only supports G). For $300 you also get a 250gig HD on the xbox and a 160gb drive on the PS3. The base model of xbox with no hard drive is $100 cheaper then the PS3.

PS3- large library of games with titles such as GT5 call of duty etc etc
Xbox-smaller library and Halo

The xbox has call of duty also, as well as numerous exclusive titles that are not limited to halo. For example: Forza, Alan Wake and Gears of War to name a few. I have no idea where you got the idea that the xbox 360 has a small library. In fact if you look at the wikipedia lists (and someone can feel free to cite a better list) the xbox has about 150 more english titles then the ps3

PS3- no known system crippling errors
Xbox- RROD

Playstation 3s have a yellow light error. Also the RROD error has not been a big issue in a long time.

older PS3- capable to load a linux OS
xbox- stuck as an xbox

Anyone who keeps their PS3 updated cannot load linux. So for the most part the playstation 3 is stuck as a playstation 3 as well.

so if PS3 is a more capable gaming console and a blu-ray player at teh same time for less where the hell does the Xbox win....i just dont understand i won both systems and i havnt touched my xbox since the 2nd week i had it.

i just dont understand how microsoft gets any sales on this thing...im so lost

Xbox got a lead early on for having a large player base with Halo and having the cheaper console. When they were first released the xbox was MUCH cheaper then the playstation and it was a while before the playsation got any system selling titles. By the time the PS3 caught up a lot of people had xboxs, and a lot of people will by the same system their friends have so they can play online with their friends. The playstation has more games that cater to the hardcore console gamer demographic but the xbox had a number of titles early on that catered to a large market with halo and gears of war.

When it actaully comes down to visuals both systems are still about the same. I have yet to see a game that I think looks much better on PS3 then it does on Xbox 360. Xbox has the advantage in this department of the fact that developers are familiar coding with it and hence it is easy to optimize there stuff for. Even if the playstation 3 has better hardware we have not really seen it used and the ps3 has been frought with it's own problems. For example while dragonage has better textures on the PS3 it has better framerates on the xbox 360.

When it comes down to it it is personal preference and neither system is really that much better then the other. Personally I like the Xbox better as I like it's exlusives better and I find it to have a better feeling controller and superior online experience.

A game that's worth *WHO'S" damn? Do be base what is a good game by what YOU enjoy, or what someone else enjoys? Those kind of arguments are baseless, what's good is a matter of opinion...but since you asked...

Metal Gear Solid 4, God of War 3, GT5, Little Big Planet, 3D Dot Game Heroes, Cross X Edge, Valkyria Chronicles, and Wipeout HD. That's not to mention the couple of RPG's that originally came out on the 360, but a year later got ported to the PS3 with Extra content, More characters, more voice acting, and better audio ( either uncompressed, or less compression ).

Oh, and Mass Effect 2 isn't a 360 Exclusive. It's also out on PC.

But pretty much all the games I listed, I have enjoyed quite a bit ( Except for GT5, and Wiepout HD. Didn't play them, But I know some people who are loving GT5, and love Wipeout HD. )

Again, I'm not trying to push the 360 off a cliff. Nothing personal, against anyone in this thread, or against any specific console. Just going after bad arguments in general.
I said Mass Effect, lol. ME2 is coming to PS3 but I don't get why they won't also do ME.
GT5 from every review I've read (and just the content lists) is a gross travesty to the racing game world. 1/5 of the cars are PS3 quality, the other are copy/paste from GT4. The physics engine comparison between Forza and GT5 can be argued all day long as well. I'm a huge motorsports and car enthusiast and Forza is just the more inclusive game. It's not 200+ Nissans or whatever GT5 has in it.
I'll give you the God of War (excellent) series, but MGS is coming to 360.

On the side of user friendliness, the 360 wins hands down. This latest update was HUGE because it added in Kinect support while also completely changing the Dashboard. How long did it take? I timed it. Four and a half minutes. I'm quite sure a large firmware update for the PS3 takes 30+ minutes from what I've read. Also, the game install times (often required), the game patch times, etc etc all added together can take over an hour sometimes if you haven't turned your PS3 on in a few weeks.
With the 360, you are never required to install the disc, but when you are, it never takes more than 7-13 minutes, title updates average less than a minute, more dashboard updates are less than 5 minutes. You see where I'm going.

And yes, I won't deny one bit. I'm a 360 fanboy. It was even worse when I've been waiting on GT5 for 6 years now (played and loved GT3 and GT4 on PS2) and that was going to be the reason I bought a console then two days before it drops I start looking around at reviews and the content lists and was utterly pissed off.

Xbox got a lead early on for having a large player base with Halo and having the cheaper console. When they were first released the xbox was MUCH cheaper then the playstation and it was a while before the playsation got any system selling titles. By the time the PS3 caught up a lot of people had xboxs, and a lot of people will by the same system their friends have so they can play online with their friends. The playstation has more games that cater to the hardcore console gamer demographic but the xbox had a number of titles early on that catered to a large market with halo and gears of war.

When it actaully comes down to visuals both systems are still about the same. I have yet to see a game that I think looks much better on PS3 then it does on Xbox 360. Xbox has the advantage in this department of the fact that developers are familiar coding with it and hence it is easy to optimize there stuff for. Even if the playstation 3 has better hardware we have not really seen it used and the ps3 has been frought with it's own problems. For example while dragonage has better textures on the PS3 it has better framerates on the xbox 360.

When it comes down to it it is personal preference and neither system is really that much better then the other. Personally I like the Xbox better as I like it's exlusives better and I find it to have a better feeling controller and superior online experience.
I'm actually quite excited to see how Mass Effect 2 will look on PS3 because on the 360 my jaw dropped numerous times at how gorgeous that game is. It is the most realistic looking game on the 360 in my opinion.

The reasons I got a PS3 are: there's not a single XBox exclusive title that I'd like to play, the MP is free, it can play Blu-Rays, and the graphics look better to me (especially on games that the coders really took advantage of the Cell processor).

Through college I lived with a guy for 6 years who had a 360, and I'd watch him play and even play myself every now and then. I just didn't see anything better about the 360. It's still a good system, no doubt. It seems like some people buy it b/c their friends have one (which is a good reason) and this cycle continues to sell 360s. That trend was started b/c the 360 was released a year before the PS3 so a lot of people bought since it was the best system out, then the friends of those people bought it, and it snowballed. The PS3 was really expensive on release too, that sold more 360s, but what the PS3 had was really worth the price at that time.

Nintendo will always sell games since they have a lot of classic characters from games like Mario, Zelda, Sonic, Metroid, etc.

I couldnt tell you if ME2 will look better on the PS3, I buy all games that I can on the PC which blows both systems completely out of the water graphics wise :). 2560x1600 with 8x AA and 16xAnistropic filtering, higher quaility textures and so forth.

To the OP a systems power does not really have anything to do with how well it sells. Consider the original xbox versus the playstation 2. In that case the xbox was superior in the way in which you could change the hard drive have better online play, better graphics and turn it into a media center and yet the PS2 completely blew it out of the water sales wise.

I think it's funny how worked up people get about their gaming systems. If you can't see the merits of both systems then you probably aren't looking very hard. (I admit I'm guilty of fanboyism myself being somewhat of a PC fanboy, but I do try to see the other points of view)

Oooooh a rant thread, I wanna play!

I own a 360, PS3 and have bought and sold 3 Wii's. I think all the systems of course have pro's and cons, but I find myself looking for xbox versions over ps3 versions lately.

I think that xbox live has a ton over on PSN, I'll clarify a bit.

You can party out of games and chat while you play single player games or different multiplayer games without being in the same game.

You can party share and watch netflix movies together synced up. (That doesn't sound so amazing, but some of my best memories lately have been with a few friends on Netflix hosting our own MST3K shows basically)

Banning! I like the fact that I can report an issue with a player and they might actually GET PUNISHED! I PVR all of my games and do youtube vids etc. When I run across someone cheating their tail off I send my video in with my complaint. I know for a fact that I have had people banned for cheating. I know that seems like a crappy thing to do, but I don't agree with cheating in online games where the playing field should be level.

As for the xbox vs. PS3 here are some of my highlights.

Music! I couldn't live without music, I seriously don't go more than 3 hours a day without it. With the xbox I can play music shared off my PC while I game. I can only listen to in game music for so long before I go nuts and with all the FPS games I play faster music helps.

I find the 360's dashboard and in game dashboard to be extremely useful and easy to navigate/manage. Wether I'm setting up music inviting friends to a party or reporting somebody, I can do it all in game easily.

Don't get me wrong I *LOVE* my PS3, Little Big Plante for the win 100%! Here are some of the things I think the PS3 has over the 360:

Instant and super powerful Media Server, coupled with the ability to swap it's Hard-drive for a larger one. I HATE the idea of having to buy a Microsoft "proprietary" HDD for a large mark-up. I put a 250gb drive in my PS3 the day I got it.

Blu-ray, Duh.

The Sony store: I don't use this anymore as Netflix pretty much dominates this market, but when my wife was diagnosed with breast cancer and I was working 80 hrs a week while caring for her this was a life saver.

No stupid MS "points" Sony takes Cash. I don't like the idea of paying for points in exchange for money.

I never got into the Wii, I really tried 3 times... I managed to sell every Wii for the same or slightly more than I paid for it.

Just my thoughts.

ok so some new xbox's come with wireless-n and some other features but do they cost a mere $300? yea didnt think so

Dude, can you read?

Every single xbox on the shelf has wireless-n. And yes, they do cost a mere 300. What is your bag?

And I am almost done with GT5 already. Standard cars can't have their wheels changed? I need paint chips?

I've also yet to have a race that isn't bumper cars. Forza has had race-ending wrecks since 200 FREAKING 4. I don't regret my collector's edition for GT5. I got it to make up for missing out on Forza's, but I don't know if I can grimace through this.

But seriously, somebody at polyphony needs to lose a job over this.

The sound is a mess. Load times are atrocious. No clutch, despite numerous wheel support with clutch pedals...no brake upgrade(have fun stopping that yenko camaro at anything over 50..) *sigh*...

You can stream mkv to the xbox with a program called "PS3 Media Server"

Ps3 media server is a joke(If you stream to a xbox). The 360 plays 1080p fine through Media Center(extender).

You just need to get the proper codecs installed on your pc and no transcoding is needed(ps3 media server)...

Seeking is not possible on .mkv video while using ps3 server and works fine on media center.

boris_37, there is already a ps2 emulator, just do a lil google and you will find it. Works surprisingly well.

Who here think that Apple is gonna jump into the fray one of these day with a gaming platform?

Who here think that Apple is gonna jump into the fray one of these day with a gaming platform?

If that happens, then their system will cost twice as much as any other system and have sub-par hardware...

If that happens, then their system will cost twice as much as any other system and have sub-par hardware...

It will probably sell like hotcakes and not make phone calls either... I'm not bitter about my iBrick, really I'm not... :p

LOL This /\
Plus Imagine how much Apple's games would cost...probably 100 bucks a piece...

P.S. See sig below...

It will be called iGame, and will do nothing special compared to the other consoles out. You will be required to buy all of your games off iTunes, your TV will have to have a Display Port connector, and it will cost twice as much as the PS3 did at release. The TV commercials will star Justin Long, saying "Hi, I'm an iGame..."

Not going to happen...At least, Not anytime soon. Apple's IOS devices are selling like hotcakes, and the apps out on these devices ( Ipod Touch, Iphone, and Ipad ) are selling like wild fire!

Look at the currently best selling apps of the week on Itunes. Almost any time you look, you will usually see something like 70% or more of them are games. And most of these games are compatible with all 3 types of devices, with the only difference generally being the resolution of the game, or the aspect ratio.

Creating a separate console would hurt IOS gaming. It would also greatly slow down the number of apps being bought, because everyone will be suddenly buying the Apple console and Apple games.

And even if it used the IOS platform, so those games could be ported over, consumers will end up treating it like the PS3's and 360's mini game store. The app store will end up getting neglected, because consumers will instead be shelling out $60 for an Apple console game, which will look 10x better than any App store games, will have better audio, can be played without having to look and mess with a small touch screen, and probably have some decent multiplayer built into those games.

Apple has put way to much time and money into their IOS platform, along with tons of time and money into the ability for that platform to deliver content to the consumers quickly, cheaply, and efficiently. A console would almost instantly fracture the App store beyond repair. And a console would almost certainly REQUIRE a special version of IOS to be effective, and compete with the PS3 and 360. Which I don't see apple in a hurry to split up their IOS devices, considering they JUST put all those devices under ONE OS. From now on, whenever there's an IOS version update, ALL their IOS devices get that exact same update. They finally have all their mobile devices standardized, which saves them a bunch of time and money by not having to develop specialized IOS verisons for each device. Suddenly releasing a console that would require its own specialized OS doesn't sound like something apple is very interested in right now.

But that's just my opinion on the matter. :D

The gaming market in general is a very difficult market to get into that could very easily lose a company a lot of money. Consider that for the first part of the product cycle companies make little to nothing (or even lose money) on the consoles themselves and make most of the money in games. Unless they have something very different to offer I don't see any other companies entering the market anytime soon.

hrmmm well it looks mostly like a fanboy match in here so i did my research and it turns out the xbox is better for multiplayer and for movies
the ps3 does have faster load times and better graphics and blu-ray

other than those 2 large oints everything else i pretty much a toss up

maybe they will squash each other when they come out with the next gen consoules maybe they will have dx11 and versions of the gtx580....yes it will be nvidia both companies go to nvidia for theyre cards since the ps1

Both have online MP with few lags or disconnects, but one is free. So, free wins in my book...lol.

Back