• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ps3 vs xbox360 rant

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Both have online MP with few lags or disconnects, but one is free. So, free wins in my book...lol.

This I can agree with.:p

Last time I checked the 360 uses a ATI gpu not nvidia

It seems I remember reading that somewhere as well. I don't remember which GPU it was, but the Wii also uses ATI, unless the label on mine is a lie.:screwy: As far as I can remember, the PS3 was the only current console with an Nvidia GPU.

I always like getting the most for my money, free > $ :) Unrelated example, Little Ceasar's $5 Hot 'n Ready Pizza > all other pizza.

About the GPUs:

Xbox 360 has an ATI Xenos GPU, a little better than the Radeon X1900.

PS3 has a nVidia RSX GPU, which is based on the NV47 chip (GeForce 7800).

Wii uses the ATI "Hollywood" GPU, but not much is known about it. Rumors say it's basically a GameCube GPU, but clocked 50% higher.

I always like getting the most for my money, free > $ :) Unrelated example, Little Ceasar's $5 Hot 'n Ready Pizza > all other pizza.

About the GPUs:

Xbox 360 has an ATI Xenos GPU, a little better than the Radeon X1900.

PS3 has a nVidia RSX GPU, which is based on the NV47 chip (GeForce 7800).

Wii uses the ATI "Hollywood" GPU, but not much is known about it. Rumors say it's basically a GameCube GPU, but clocked 50% higher.

Either way, what this shows us is that 2 of the 3 major consoles on the market have ATI GPU's, which disproves the earlier statement about Nvidia pretty much having the console gaming market cornered.

ok to start i am sick of every one trying to say the xbox is in fact better than the ps3. when i can then turn and ask them about the difference of HDD rpm's and they get lost so here it is my rant on the two systems

ps3-free multiplayer
xbox360-$$ per year to play multi

ps3-$300 for HDMI support, WiFi, Blu-Ray, 120GB HDD, cell Processor.
Xbox 360-$300 for system + ectra $$$ for wifi HDMI large HDD

PS3- large library of games with titles such as GT5 call of duty etc etc
Xbox-smaller library and Halo

PS3- no known system crippling errors
Xbox- RROD

older PS3- capable to load a linux OS
xbox- stuck as an xbox

so if PS3 is a more capable gaming console and a blu-ray player at teh same time for less where the hell does the Xbox win....i just dont understand i won both systems and i havnt touched my xbox since the 2nd week i had it.

i just dont understand how microsoft gets any sales on this thing...im so lost

Who the hell has been saying the 360 is better than the PS3? We only average about three posts a month in the console gaming section.

And second: Why should you care?

I'm personally just happy that I can downgrade my PS3 and get Linux back.

boris_37, there is already a ps2 emulator, just do a lil google and you will find it. Works surprisingly well.

Who here think that Apple is gonna jump into the fray one of these day with a gaming platform?

Look up the Apple Pippin.

One of the biggest failures in Apple history.

Who the hell has been saying the 360 is better than the PS3? We only average about three posts a month in the console gaming section.

And second: Why should you care?

I'm personally just happy that I can downgrade my PS3 and get Linux back.

Why do you care so much about Linux on a console? Game consoles are for gaming, not for pretending to be a better geek because you can run linux on it.

If you want to run linux, go install it on your toaster. :comp:

Tragically this is so. :screwy:

Why do you care so much about Linux on a console? Game consoles are for gaming, not for pretending to be a better geek because you can run linux on it.

Turns PS3 into free HTPC/general machine for living room for $0

oooH I'll jump in...

Bought a 60gb PS3 on Dec 26, 2006 just after launch. With games and a movie and warranty, came out to just over $800. Loved it. Worked great. Online multiplayer sucked. Every game had issues. COD4 was unplayable for like 18 days after release.

Bought an Xbox 360 for COD4 release. $330 or so. Worked great. Live 13 months for $35. No issues with COD4 or any other release. Map packs early.

2 1/2 yrs after buying PS3, YLOD....DEAD. I could have it repaired for $150 if I want...
2 yrs after buying Xbox, RROD......DEAD. Free repair. Sent it in, recieved new one..Been going fine ever since.

Bought another PS3, been working great so far.

In my experience, PS3 has been waaaaaay more expensive. I enjoy both systems now though...

By the way, both the PS3 and Xbox died the same week.

I didnt read the op past this

"PS3- no known system crippling errors
Xbox- RROD"
As the ps3 also sufferes from the YLOD.

I personally like both consoles, ps3 is very good for streaming videos, and the web browser is nice, I own a xbox 360 for a few reasons the xbox 360 was a lot cheaper (At the time £180 vs about £400) even when you take in to account the £40 a year live member ship (you can get it cheaper then that if you don't get it straight from Microsoft i got my last one for £25) and because the xbox 360 controller fits my hands a lot better because I have pretty long fingers and thumbs i find the ps3 controller to small for my hands

imo both consoles are pretty even when it comes to gaming , ps3 wins in multimedia, bus purely for gaming xbox 360 wins , but fan boyism just annoys me, its almost as bad as the Windows vs Linux vs Mac debates you see, they are all good, it just comes down to what people prefer

my family also own a Wii, but it just sits in the corner unused, the graphics are dreadful, and it look like all Nintendo does is release the same stuff again and again (such as Mario) I can see why kids use it, but personally I hate it.

Last edited:
I have PS3, XBox360, and Wii.

I used the Wii for about a day and then never touched it again. I have it sitting in a box in the other room for about a year or so.

XBox 360 is the first console I picked up since the PS1. Lots of the games that I want to play and does a great job with them. I prefer the controller on 360 to the one on PS3, probably just personal preference. I did have a problem with the DVD drive after about 6 months, but got it repaired free. XBox Live is speedy for downloading and streaming.

PS3 works great for the games that it does have that I actually want to play. It seems to me that there are a larger percentage of the games for PS3 that are sports games, and I have no interest in those. Playstation network is horribly slow. I don't use wireless, straight wired to my FiOS 50Mb connection and it is still slower than heck.

For gaming, I chose the XBox version of a game unless there is a compelling reason to get the PS3 version. Both work just fine though.

Back