• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PSU for amd ryzen 5 2600 (OC)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

13yrKid

Registered
Hello guys, i have most of my setup ready and i just need advice for PSU
this is my setup ( already bought)
CPU: Ryzen 5 2600
Cooler: Cooler Master - Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
GPU: Zotac gtx 1070 amp extreme
MOBO: GIGABYTE x470 aorus ultra gaming
SSD: Kingston 120gb
HDD: WD 1tb 7200rpm
RAM:not bought
Case : not bought
PSU: not bought

now i don't have plans to overclock it right away but i will do that in future and i also have plans for SLI so, i was hoping you guys could help me with the parts ive not bought.
Thankyou :)

Good place to look for solid, reliable PSUs is here https://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/589708-Recommended-PSU-s-True-Tested right after getting some direction from a wattage calculator,like this https://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator

For RAM, I would use the motherboard's QVL list, or select some RAM and make sure that it's compatible with the Ryzen chip. That's a bigger deal than with most Intel rigs.

Cases are a pretty personal choice, but a list of quality cases that all have great reviews from trusted sources, and many tried by our members, is here https://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/748535-Recommended-Cases-of-OCF

Good place to look for solid, reliable PSUs is here https://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/589708-Recommended-PSU-s-True-Tested right after getting some direction from a wattage calculator,like this https://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator

For RAM, I would use the motherboard's QVL list, or select some RAM and make sure that it's compatible with the Ryzen chip. That's a bigger deal than with most Intel rigs.

Cases are a pretty personal choice, but a list of quality cases that all have great reviews from trusted sources, and many tried by our members, is here https://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/748535-Recommended-Cases-of-OCF

thankyou ill check it out , i am just confused between 3000mhz and 3200, is 3200 it really worth it ?

Ryzen's Infinity Fabric operates at the speed of the RAM, I believe. So you not only get the small boost in memory performance, but the CPU actually operates faster, too. For a Ryzen rig I would get the fastest memory it will run. Even if the extra memory performance isn't visible in most tasks, the better CPU performance will show in everything your chip does. We have some folks here with Ryzen rigs who will hopefully jump in if I've got that wrong.

Ryzen's Infinity Fabric operates at the speed of the RAM, I believe. So you not only get the small boost in memory performance, but the CPU actually operates faster, too. For a Ryzen rig I would get the fastest memory it will run. Even if the extra memory performance isn't visible in most tasks, the better CPU performance will show in everything your chip does. We have some folks here with Ryzen rigs who will hopefully jump in if I've got that wrong.

OK, i guess im gonna wait then.

I can't say with certainty from experience, as I only have my personal 3200 kit which I have oc'd to 3400 paired with my 2600X. But what I can gather from my experience is the real world notable difference is between kits running under 3000 and kits running 3000+... My stock kit at 3200 and 3400 have no definite difference that is observed by the human eye in daily tasks and gaming. Where the difference is noticed between 3200 and 3400 for me at least is in synthetic benchmark scores, if the numbers generated by a benchmark software are a priority to you then you want to seek out a 3466 mhz samsung b-die kit and tighten the timings.

But if that isn't a top priority for you, then above 3200 is unnecessary in my opinion. And the price difference between 3000 and 3200 is so small that it makes no sense not to grab a 3200 mhz kit.

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

As for PSUs, I personally love my EVGA SuperNova G3 650W PSU... If you are looking to overclock and run two 1070s in SLi, I would recommend a 750-850W PSU with 80+ Gold at minimum. EVGA makes great PSU in that range in their SuperNova G3 series, now if you are looking to good above 80+ Gold, my recommendation would be the SeaSonic Ultra Prime 750 or 850W 80+ Titanium PSUs. Both have great warranties, fair pricing and recommendations from multiple sources within the PC building community.

I can't say with certainty from experience, as I only have my personal 3200 kit which I have oc'd to 3400 paired with my 2600X. But what I can gather from my experience is the real world notable difference is between kits running under 3000 and kits running 3000+... My stock kit at 3200 and 3400 have no definite difference that is observed by the human eye in daily tasks and gaming. Where the difference is noticed between 3200 and 3400 for me at least is in synthetic benchmark scores, if the numbers generated by a benchmark software are a priority to you then you want to seek out a 3466 mhz samsung b-die kit and tighten the timings.

But if that isn't a top priority for you, then above 3200 is unnecessary in my opinion. And the price difference between 3000 and 3200 is so small that it makes no sense not to grab a 3200 mhz kit.

As for PSUs, I personally love my EVGA SuperNova G3 650W PSU... If you are looking to overclock and run two 1070s in SLi, I would recommend a 750-850W PSU with 80+ Gold at minimum. EVGA makes great PSU in that range in their SuperNova G3 series, now if you are looking to good above 80+ Gold, my recommendation would be the SeaSonic Ultra Prime 750 or 850W 80+ Titanium PSUs. Both have great warranties, fair pricing and recommendations from multiple sources within the PC building community.

Thankyou for being so comprehensive, just in case i drop the idea of sli, what psu would i need then?
Also what is your opinion about sli?

A quality 750W PSU would be plenty for 2 1070s and a 2600X, all overclocked. The 1070s are 150W cards (200W overclocked is being generous considering power limits) and you won't break 200W or with the CPU cranked. Add in the rest, maybe 50-75W (fans, drives, leds, etc), and you can see we are not even at 700W. And that is while stress testing your system maxing everything out at once which isn't a realistic situation. Gaming will use a ton less than that.

For a single 1070 and 2600X, a quality 550W unit would do it.

Last edited:
A quality 750W PSU would be plenty for 2 1070s and a 2600X, all overclocked. The 1070s are 150W cards (200W overclocked is being generous considering power limits) and you won't break 200W or with the CPU cranked. Add in the rest, maybe 50-75W (fans, drives, leds, etc), and you can see we are not even at 700W. And that is while stress testing your system maxing everything out at once which isn't a realistic situation. Gaming will use a ton less than that.

For a single 1070 and 2600X, a quality 550W unit would do it.
Thankyou.

First of all i wanna thank everyone for helping
Secondly, i have dropped the idea of sli and i am going with these:
Ram: corsair vengeance lpx 8x2gb 3000mhz
Case: coolermaster td500l with 3 extra 120mm rgb fans
Psu: Antec EA650G PRO Earthwatts Gold Pro 650

Any suggestions?

Yea @ the $100 price point the Seasonic Ultra Prime 650W 80+ Titanium becomes a far superior option, coming in at a mere $20 more than the Antec he listed. I think you hit the nail on the head with the EVGA you listed, 80+ Gold, good price ($20 cheaper than lesser Antec PSU), great warranty, fully modular and very solid performance/reputation backed by multiple reviewers.

sorry for the late reply..

the RAM and PSU you guys recommended are both way out of my budget. i am thinking about going with this ram unless you guys say otherwise
gigabyte - aorus rgb 16 gb (2 x 8 gb) ddr4-3200

The PSU I selected was CHEAPER than the one you did... :shrug:

What is your budget for both of these parts? Where are you shopping? What country? Some details will help us help you...

The PSU I selected was CHEAPER than the one you did... :shrug:

What is your budget for both of these parts? Where are you shopping? What country? Some details will help us help you...

This is where he is looking ED, I'd bet anything! https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID= They are currently running a deal on it where the total comes down to $42.25 the ends at the end of the month. Still a lower quality PSU, sadly a component that often gets budgeted and shouldn't be (within reason of course)

As to where he is finding that foolish ram (foolish because it includes 2 false sticks to fill the board with RGB) the only place I see with it currently is newegg and it is 219$, well that and used on ebay for even more than new from newegg or amazon (when they restock it)...

So the end advice I have here is drop that over priced ram for this: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID= Then use the now extra $60 and get a better PSU such as the ones listed by EarthDog and myself and remain in budget. PSU quality shouldn't be where you cheap out on your budget, it is the one component that has the best chance of bricking all of your other components in one shot.

Back