• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PSU -- GPU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ashwin_natesan

Registered
I am planning to buy this PSU
Cooler Master Thunder 500W 500 Watts PSU

I have also ordered an GPU
Asus AMD HD 7850 2 GB GDDR5 Graphics Card

I own a 500GB HD with 4GB ram(planning to increase this)..

My doubt is will this PSU be enuf for my GPU.??

I am afraid my psu will burn out my GPU...

Could yu please tell me whether it is ok to use this PSU.??

or do i have to settle for a less GPU.??

That PSU will be fine. The 7850 has very little power draw compared with many older cards considering the performance. Testing shows that it doesn't use much past 110W when pushed a bit.

The 7850 is a 130W TDP card. You didnt list your CPU (not that it matters really), regardless though, a QUALITY 500W PSU will be fine for any single gpu and cpu.

My concern is the PSU you are buying more than anything. Coolermaster is really hit or miss with their quality. While Im sure it will be ok, I would go with something that is known good like the Corsair CX500.

CM low end units are generally really low end. I'd avoid that one until we see some reviews of it. Currently there aren't any meaningful reviews.

Go with a CX430 or CX500.

CM low end units are generally really low end. I'd avoid that one until we see some reviews of it. Currently there aren't any meaningful reviews.

Go with a CX430 or CX500.

That PSU will be fine. The 7850 has very little power draw compared with many older cards considering the performance. Testing shows that it doesn't use much past 110W when pushed a bit.

The 7850 is a 130W TDP card. You didnt list your CPU (not that it matters really), regardless though, a QUALITY 500W PSU will be fine for any single gpu and cpu.

My concern is the PSU you are buying more than anything. Coolermaster is really hit or miss with their quality. While Im sure it will be ok, I would go with something that is known good like the Corsair CX500.

So when does originally an PSU comes into play..??

I mean,,..what is the real use of buying an PSU based on the Watts.??

I could select an CX430 or CX500 for that matter... how to choose, what to buy based on my need.??

Last edited:
Im not sure I understand the question... "watts" still power the machine. You still need to know how much power your system will use in order to purchase an appropriately sized PSU. As Robert mentioned, power use with today's hardware, for the most part, has gone down notably for a couple of years now.

Watts are not a barometer for quality. You just need to make sure it has enough of them.

The difficulty with a lot of low end PSUs is that they can't put out the wattage their sticker claims.
If it's a known-good unit then the wattage is an important part of buying it, you need to know that you'll have enough power for your system.
If it's not a known good PSU your new "1000w" PSU may shut down / fail / explode / catch on fire at 400w. Some do.

Back