• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PSU holding the OC back...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Aphex_Tom_9

im shooting for 3+ ghz on this 2600+ M processor. I can take the heat of high vcores (see cooling info in sig :D) im running at 2911 right now, not completely stable though. i need more vcore. im running at 2.2 (BIOS) 2.12 (Actual), but when i try to boot at 2.22 (BIOS) i get this weird problem where the screen shuts off, the comp appears to have shut itself down, but all the fans continue spinning, and i have to cold-boot (which takes time because the prometeia needs 2 minutes in-between boot-ups, and that gets tedious).
I think this is caused by my PSU, a Thermaltake 480 watt Silent Purepower with PFC. it has served me quite well up until now. i opened it recently and tweaked the rails up with the pots inside to the max, that helped a little, but i still get this half-shutdown thing with any vcore above 2.2 (BIOS), and im pretty sure i need a more powerful/stable PSU.
So, im open to recommendations for PSU's that stay strong under VERY heavy loads with a lotta watts. i dont want to spend too much though...

Aphex_Tom_9 said:
i dont want to spend too much though...

Well...You kinda can't go budget on this and get something that will meet your needs. The OCZ 520 is used with success by a few of the record breaking guys. I know Fortron 530s with tweaked pots have been used in the past by the big names. I think an Antec 550 True Control, or modded True Power could hold up. A PC P&C Turbo Cool 510 would be ideal, but that's $200.

ok thanks, ill look around for the OCZ, Fotron, and Antec ones...see if i cant find a deal somewheres.

im still open to suggestions

That's the one. You'll need to open it up and adjust the potentiometers to allow it to run at its full potential. I don't know how well those supplies work with extreme overclocked rigs. Maybe someone can chime in and give some insight.

On another topic. I noticed you are using an NF7. Have you put heatsinks on your CPU power mosfets? Heatsinks help give a little extra stability to the vcore. I would try active cooling the heatsinks at 2.2 vcore.

hmm, okay, ill look into the OCZ 520 more. i dont want to do any vmods though. i put some chunks of staples on the mosfets as ghetto-sinks, and then put a blower fan on that, so they stay nice and cool, which has helped somewhat...

wow, the OCZ 520 looks about 2x the price of a fortron 530...i may just go for that and tweak it up if i cant find the OCZ for less than $100...
*edit* what about the OCZ 420, it's cheaper and only a few amps less on the +5 and +12 lines...

420- +3.3V@28A, +5V@30A, +12V@30A, [email protected], [email protected], [email protected]
$99
520- +3.3V@28A, +5V@40A, +12V@33A, [email protected], [email protected], [email protected]
$140

the major diff seems to be on the +5 line...will that really affect the OC that much??

Last edited:
hmm, i found the Antec 550 True Control for $100 on newegg, it looks very nice also...
so now i think im between the Fortron 530 and the Antec True Control 550. which is better?

Aphex_Tom_9 said:
hmm, i found the Antec 550 True Control for $100 on newegg, it looks very nice also...
so now i think im between the Fortron 530 and the Antec True Control 550. which is better?

fortron easily

looks like fortron's my best bet here, good reputation, adjustable, not too expensive...
im not sure when i can get around to purchasing it, might be a few weeks, so im still open to suggestions, thanks so far guys.

Enermax noistaker 600watts. WHisper quiet and holly crap its nice. Replaced my turbocool 510 delx with it and I couldnt be happier. Beefy and efficient and powerful at the same time.

situman said:
Enermax noistaker 600watts. WHisper quiet and holly crap its nice. Replaced my turbocool 510 delx with it and I couldnt be happier. Beefy and efficient and powerful at the same time.

uh why on earth did your replace your pcp&c???:confused:

Aphex_Tom_9 said:
im leaning towards the fortron 530 a lot more now...it's strong on the +3, +5, and good on the +12, and i can probably tweak it up a bit...
+3.3V@30/17A,+5V@44/24A,[email protected],+12V@16/28A,[email protected],+5VSB@2A
those stats look odd though, why the / ?
$75

the / in thier i belive means the lower number is what it runs @ during normal operation, and the max output is the higher number.

Its hard finding a good and not so expensive power supply with high rails for 3v 5v and 12v.

I mean my Antec 550w tp railes are good but the 12v is kinda lacking, and the psu is ugly

3.3v 32A
5v 40A
12v 24A

My Aspire in the Avatar the rails are this, but the 5v kinda sux but the 12v is awsome.

3.3v 28A
5v 30A
12v 34A

I hate having a power supply that is lacking on one rail something i need, but i got the Antec way before i got my A64 system and my Aspire came wiht my case, i choose to use the Aspire even tho its 5v rail is kinda low the Psu looks to good to not use and the 12v rail is really high.

Last edited:
computerpro3 said:
uh why on earth did your replace your pcp&c???:confused:

The noise is driving me nuts. Besides I leave my computer on at night. Even though its relatively quiet when idle, it is still louder than most. I sleep a lot better now with my new psu.

Back