• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PSU question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

asoeone

Hello , i've just bought and installed an amd fx 8350 cpu and now i want to overclock it.

my computerspecs are: coolermaster cm 690 II lite with 4 extra fans
16 GB mushkin DDR3 2000
coolermaster seidon 120XL (2fans)
2x amd 6970 (msi lightning and 6950 with bios mod)
1 liteon ihas524 dvd drive
1 SSD adata 128 GB 3TB seagate barracuda 500gb WD
PSU 880w Hyper typeR mkII
GA-990FX-UD7 motherboard
My question was is my PSU up to it or do i have to upgrade?

Last edited:
Hi welcome to the forums, but the most important bit of kit you did not mention is the Motherboard! So back to you it goes. AJ.

In my signature is a link to overclocking AMD Bulldozer processors... check it out! Id help but I cant.. AMD is not my thing.

Mobo has nothing to do with the PSU really...the difference between the wattage it pulls vs others is not worth asking even... that said...

Wattage is plenty... quality... not sure on Hyper.
EDIT: Looks like its fine.

Thank you for your quick reply and for your link BTW the PSU is a good one and nice looking to

Well OP lets try and do some Maths here!

1, FX8350 CPU TDP ABT 125W
2, HD 6950 TDP ABT 200W EACH X 2 = 400W at a HD 6950!
3, Say 40 Watts for rest of your kit etc.
4, TOTAL I WOULD SAY 565 Watts.
But you said you want to Overclock your set up, and do you need to change your PSU?
I would say because i do not know how good is the unit you have there for Stability and line Ripple etc. Maybe other members will say whats right and whats wrong here to help you as well. AJ. :shrug: ;)

A EDIT FOR ACCURACY!!

Last edited:
Sorry about the values the boss wanted her Laptop back, but they are not that far off though did a quick Google search for the TDP's. AJ. :eh?: :thup:

Sorry about the values the boss wanted her Laptop back, but they are not that far off though did a quick Google search for the TDP's. AJ. :eh?: :thup:
Correct... but off just enough to question if his PSU was good enough or not. That could have cost someone some serious money... just saying... this isnt hand grenades, horse shoes, and nuclear warfare where close enough is good enough. 'Close enough' could cost someone money they don't have to spend. Accuracy is key here. :)

Back