• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PSU shutting off.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

T'wolves

I got my system ready to go, i have two psus spliced together, an Antec 480W TrueBlue is powering my 226W pelt, and the other a Fortron 460W powering my system. After turning the power on everything runs for about 4-5 seconds, sometimes the monitor clicks on sometimes it doesnt, then everything powers down. I cant get into the bios either. I can get more specific details on hardware, but it's a moblile, 1 gig of ram, ti 4200, and dfi infinity. I'm too tired to go into more detail, but could it be a short somewhere? What could cause it to start then just all turn off? I can hook up a speaker and get a beep code if i have to as well. Thank for helping.

Sounds like a short. Best course of action is to remove everything from the case and start right over. Install just the necessities(CPU, RAM, video), hook up the monitor and see if you can boot. If you have a HSF handy, use that instead of the pelt(to see if that may be causing the problem).
BTW, how do you have the PSUs connected to each other?

It is the trick by combining a grond pin, the psu "ok" pin, and third pin i cant remember, so i just spliced all the wires together that needs to be. They dont combine voltages or currents but the Antec turns on only when i turn the fortron on. I'm thinking a short somewhere or overdrawing somehow, so I'm going to start by tearing it and see if i can isolat the problem if that still doesnt work then I'm gonna mess with tha pelt. I was thinking it could also be thermal protection, but is just that few seconds really enough to shutdown that soon?

Um, I had a bunch of di-electric grease between the cpu and cold plate, so yeah, oopps i guess i had too much surrounding the cpu die. Now if i dont lose my patience with the DFI cold boot issue B.S. ill be fine.

Back