• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Pull fans at the top of the case

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Daddyjaxx

Usually if they are open end fans, I just screw the fans in to the rad and use fan screws to mount the rad to the case. What options are there for closed end fans? Is the only option to use the long rad screws and line up (try to) the outside of the case, with the fans, and the rad. I prefer they pull out of the case. The fittings are easier to reach. and deal with without the fans in the way.

You don't have to use long screws to sandwich the fans in the top, you can buy 6 or 8-32 screws 3/8 to 1/2" long and use nuts on them.
I've superglued the 8-32 X 1/2" screws to the fan frame so they extend outward, and then just used acorn nuts on the outside top of the case too...that way the whole unit is removable without standing on your head and cramming fingers into impossible locations.

You can also drill slightly larger holes in the top of the case and use fan mounting screws. You know the ones that bite into the fans plastic hole to screw it to a case, or mount a finger guard with. Just use them down through the top.
You can get a whole case of assorted screws, including those at frozen CPU. My kit has been priceless.

Edit, if your fans have the fully enclosed corners you'll have to use the long screws though..you know some have plastic cast inbetween the corners so there's no access to the holes from between the frames. Add 5 mm to your fan thickness for the correct length.

Last edited:
You could also remove the screw tube between the upper and lower corners with a dremel tool. A dremel is something every PC enthusiast should own.

True enough!
I'm on my 3rd one. I can't think of a single project that I didn't use it on.

Me personally, I can't consider modding a $200-$300+ case unless its 10+ years old that needs some "updates" in its design. :p

I usually have a short list of at least three things that need to be changed before I even decide to order!
That's why I've made so many cases myself, as well as modding 8+ of them. :)

Dying for this new job to get rolling so I can break out my newest Dremmel, a 4000 in a 4200 kit.

I have Dremel...somewhere. I bought one years ago when Best Buy had that 19.99 case special. I got some Corsair high static fans that are open end, but I'm not sure if I want to use them. I wasn't planning on using a fan controller since the Bitfenix Pro's are only 19db. The Corsairs are 26db, I believe.

With my hearing being what it is, 26db would be practically inaudible.

Back