• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Pump making grinding noise

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

illuminate

Registered
I have had this pump since mid august and it was working fine until today when i was on youtube i notice a grinding noise start so immediately hit the switch on my psu to kill it. I then checked the water level it seemed a little low so i filled it to the top, and it was still making the same noise. As i was filling it i also noticed that the water had some flakes in it so i decided to drain. I dont know if its algae. I also took the pump apart and it looks like there is dirt on the inside of it. I know this is a very cheap pump, im just wondering if this is a common problem with these. When i was running i felt the tubes and it didnt feel like it was vibrating as much as when the pump was silent. Any help or suggestion would be great.

The water I drained:
14tsq4p.jpg

The Pump:
25f3j7l.jpg

This is a link to the pump http://www.frozencpu.com/products/1..._Updated_Version_4.html?id=Ng5bepzf&mv_pc=146

When you installed this did you do a complete clean out of all your parts? During the manufacturer process there can be residue or dirt leftover. Is the tubing clouded? Also, that pump is weak and problematic though good enough for small CPU only loops.

Do you have a video of the pump making the odd sounds?

Yes I rinsed the rad,red,tube,and CPU block out with tap until all the dirt was gone the I rinsed twice with distilled water. The tubing is not clouded I compared it to the extra tubing I have. I'm only using it in a CPU loop with a 360 rad above the pump on the top of my case. Would running hot water through it be a good idea ?

Yes I rinsed the rad,red,tube,and CPU block out with tap until all the dirt was gone the I rinsed twice with distilled water. The tubing is not clouded I compared it to the extra tubing I have. I'm only using it in a CPU loop with a 360 rad above the pump on the top of my case. Would running hot water through it be a good idea ?

For radiator cleaning yes. The only thing for me personally that showed up with small bits of debris when cleaning out all the parts came from the rad. I would use warm water to clean it out, aka "Radiator Dance". Rinse and repeat 5+ times should be good enough. Might have to wear gloves if the water is hot.

As for the pump, I would RMA it with XSPC. Unfortunately that pump is problematic. I would look to save up for future reference in possibly replacing it if it goes bad again after your first RMA. I've read stories of some others going through 2-3 RMA's before giving up on it. It's been through 4 "revisions".

I will rinse out the rad then. OK I will try to RMA it but I've had it for about 8 month. If its still making the noise again but the temps seem normal is there a program that will alarm me if the CPU temp spikes.

I will rinse out the rad then. OK I will try to RMA it but I've had it for about 8 month. If its still making the noise again but the temps seem normal is there a program that will alarm me if the CPU temp spikes.

Real Temp

Code:
Main Features
Reads temperature information from all Intel Core based processors. Pentium 4 processors are not supported.
Ability to individually calibrate Real Temp for each core of your CPU.
Program is based on temperature data gathered using a Fluke 62 IR Thermometer.
Test Sensors feature will check your DTS sensors for any sign of problems.
Keeps track of Minimum and Maximum temperatures with full logging features.
Reporting and logging of the Intel PROCHOT# thermal throttle activity bit.
Quick, very accurate and repeatable benchmark.
Displays MHz, TJMax, CPUID, APIC ID and Calibration settings.
[COLOR="Red"]High temperature alarm and shutdown feature based on CPU or NVIDIA GPU temperature.[/COLOR]
No installation or registry modifications required.
Support for Windows 2000 / XP / Vista / Windows 7 / Windows 8 (32 & 64 bit)

I have my rig running again the noise is still there but the temps seem to be normal ill install real temp just to be on the safe side. I will start the RMA process tomorrow like you suggested. Thank you for all your help.

if its a revision 1 or 2, it might be the impeller/bearing desintegrating :)
I think they've gone through 3 or 4 impeller revisions. Make sure you get the latest revision. Or, see if you can get them to agree to a trade-in/upgrade to the D5 res version.

Contact XSPC directly.

The thing with the H2O 750 design is that it needs to be topped up, you have to keep an eye on it, it's rather "sensitive" to low fluid level and sucks in air before you know it. And air is the shortest path to destruction on these submersible aquariumpumps.

if its a revision 1 or 2, it might be the impeller/bearing desintegrating :)
I think they've gone through 3 or 4 impeller revisions. Make sure you get the latest revision. Or, see if you can get them to agree to a trade-in/upgrade to the D5 res version.

Contact XSPC directly.

The thing with the H2O 750 design is that it needs to be topped up, you have to keep an eye on it, it's rather "sensitive" to low fluid level and sucks in air before you know it. And air is the shortest path to destruction on these submersible aquariumpumps.

+1 :thup:

It is a rev 4, but the water did get a bit low this is my first time water cooling and I didn't realize how fast the water evaporates. It made a grinding noise for less than a minute, now that I drained and cleaned everything it makes the noise off and on. For the RMA do you open a technical support ticket and just tell them the problem ?

I know I need to RMA it and start saving for a new/better pump. For now my temps are normal and I installed speed fan (real temp isn't supported on AMD) to warn me if my temps spike.

Back