• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Purchased a Hyper 212 plus fit in my case

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
@dark; you have to get more creative. little cut outs of cardboard provide a good fake washer/nut to screw in to; its not like the screw is load bearing or holding up tons of weight. You can add candle wax or something else sticky to help hold the screws in to cardboard. or simply epoxy the screws in place to hold the grill on. get nifty son. zip ties? cable ties? little pieces of wire?

You will need to visit a hardware store, lowes, home depot, fastener place and get some different screws. I don't think you will find a nut to fit them.

If you have an old dead fan or something you don't mind sacrificing you can snip the parts of the fan that the screws thread into and use that. You might could even use a hacksaw to thin an old gutted fan enough to make it fit. That would be more work though.

Thanks all try that:)

Ram: 2 * 4Gb Gskill and 2* 2GB = 12Gb of ram total

^^ I noticed this in your sig. I think it'd be more beneficial for you to just run the 2 x 4gb, in the proper channels. Your cpu supports dual channel ddr when the memory is setup right; usually you have to fill all 4 slots, slot 1/3 or 2/4, or some odd combo. but running in dual channel with 2x4gb ddr2 should b faster than non dual channel.

You're probably currently dual channel, but the small 2gb chips might b slowing down the 4gb chips; and i don't think you'd notice a difference in 8gb vs 12gb total. you should confirm that the speeds for both the 2gb and 4gb chips r the same; if they are then confirm that you have the 4gb and 2gb chips sharing the proper channels with each other. If not the same speed, i'd remove the 2gb chips from the equation and make sure the 4gb chips r setup in the right channels.

^^ I noticed this in your sig. I think it'd be more beneficial for you to just run the 2 x 4gb, in the proper channels. Your cpu supports dual channel ddr when the memory is setup right; usually you have to fill all 4 slots, slot 1/3 or 2/4, or some odd combo. but running in dual channel with 2x4gb ddr2 should b faster than non dual channel.

You're probably currently dual channel, but the small 2gb chips might b slowing down the 4gb chips; and i don't think you'd notice a difference in 8gb vs 12gb total. you should confirm that the speeds for both the 2gb and 4gb chips r the same; if they are then confirm that you have the 4gb and 2gb chips sharing the proper channels with each other. If not the same speed, i'd remove the 2gb chips from the equation and make sure the 4gb chips r setup in the right channels.

I will surely check on that, thanks for the recommendation!

I have one other problem! I successfully went to Ace hardware and found bolt and screw that looks very nice to fasten the fan baseplate on the side. I have also successfully removed the LED fan from the side to the back! The back fan i installed in the front that also went well! All post pics onces its all finished!

I am now working on installing the Hyper 212 plus, but i ran into problems. On the Fastening bracket below:

iH26y.png

I can't figure out how to get two of the screws to a AMD socket. I have move two of them, but the other two seem to have problems? I am trying to put the screws to the outside grove, so it will fit a AMD motherboard? I can anyone help me with this, thanks. I can post more pics if you need them!

I should read the whole thread before I post

Thanks for the awesome link "RGone", i have one question and i am sure i will have the hyper 212 plus up a running in no time! The Bracket that goes under the motherboard for the hyper 212 plus would i have to remove my old one from extreme gear heat sink and replace with the one that was provided with the hyper 212 heat sink? Or can i just use the existing one that is currently on my motherboard? I was messing with it last night and i pretty sure without removing the old bracket the hyper 212 can securely fasten down, but i would like to install this correctly!

This bracket: cm12.jpg

I just called the place where i bought my Xtreme Gear ICe Cpu cooler, and asked if i could use the same cpu bracket under the motherboard. I was told that might not be the best solution because if the bracket doesn't fit property can burn out my whole system? What do you guys recommend? I find taking that bottom bracket off a pain in *** because i have to get under the motherboard!

Any of you familiar with my case? I have two sides i can take off, one is the side with the side fan i removed last night that comes off with two lug screws on the back. The other side is where the mother board is attached. Their is two lug screws like the other side that are there so i can remove that side, but i am wondering, if they are just decoration or they actually will remove that side of the case. I have never removed that side, but i am wondering if anyone has any experience with taking that side off, so i wont have to remove all my PC components and to get under the motherboard?

Here is my case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811156090 --> Click on the image and get 360 view and you can get a clear view of what i am working with. Look on the back image where it shows the lug screws to my case.

Heres a better look at what i am trying to describe:
zYmox.png

Please let me know..

Last edited:
@dark: it's hard to see, but it shouldn't matter. MOST cases that allow the mobo side to b taken off don't actually have access for getting under the mobo. So even though the side is off, the mobo tray is still in the way. This was the case with the last three cases I've owned; you can get that side off, but can't access under the mobo. Some higher end cases have a CPU cutout in the mobo tray. so you will have to remove almost EVERYTHING to get at the back of the mobo and change the hyper over to your other CPU cooler.

But, why? can you link the other cooler you have? My hyper212+ is badass, and only has 1 fan. I'm gonna add another fan and push my 925 further. Generally speaking you wont notice much difference between (properly installed) aftermarket cpu coolers that "look" similar. There are a few things that make fin style/copper bar heat pipe coolers better than others, and unless you're running an i7 to its limits, it wont really matter. I would install the hyper, add a second fan if necessary, and be happy. :)

and with the hyper's xbar that holds down the hyper cooler to the backplate, you just have to fidgit with it. I think if you push the screw in (against the spring pressure) you can more easily move the screws around. I remember setting mine as I thought it should be, then during installation it was a little off and I had to move it back. The main importance is that it is sitting on the hyper212 cooler in the proper way, and that you're not forcing or putting addition force on any one side vs the other side. you want to screw the screws in 2-3 turns each, then the next screw 2-3 turns, then the next.... so that they all go in a little at a time (vs locking one all the way down, then the next, next...)

Hope that all helps.

I successfully took apart my whole computer tonight and rebuild it from the ground up because i had to remove the bottom bracket under the motherboard to install my new Hyper 212 bracket.

Here are some pictures of the new installation! I am very happy with the results!

Inside the case with the side panel off.
vVbfH.jpg

With the side panel attached notice my side panel no longer has the side fan, but who needs it!
qtnpK.jpg

When i installed the front fan now i can see the red led light in the front. It strobes every 7 secs or so its pretty kool looking!
WHu9V.jpg

What you guys think? Next stop overclocking! Thank for all your help!

Anyone know how i can see if i can unlock cores in my Cpu? I could make a new thread too.

Last edited:
Heres the new temps i am have: There looking good! Sorry for the double post.

xREaV.png

@dtrunk thanks for exampling why i needed to remove the bracket that really help out and i decided to just take apart my whole motherboard and deal with installing the new bracket that came with the new heat sink!

Last edited:
@dtrunk thanks for exampling why i needed to remove the bracket that really help out and i decided to just take apart my whole motherboard and deal with installing the new bracket that came with the new heat sink!

He certainly gave good advice when he said match bracket to the cooler. All bets would have been off otherwise.

Looks pretty good in the case. RGone...ster.

Back