• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Purple LED 200mm fans?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kaeldre

Registered
I was given my fiance's old Antec Twelve Hundred case and I want to rip the blue fans out and replace them with purple and green. I want to replace the big 200mm fan on the top of the case with a purple one, but I just can't find any with purple LEDs!

Suggestions?

Buy four purple LED's and replace the blue LED's with the purple ones.

On a scale of 1-10, how hard is it to replace fan LEDs?

There is small holes they put the LEDs in. Could be super glue dunno. If it's not too bad, you can maybe push them out. If not, a drill and small implements of distruction would work?

Never seen it done, but I bet it has been done before. The diameter/size of the LEDs can be different too.

Typically they're held in with a compound that's very similar to hot glue (like you probably have at your house). If you don't care about keeping the old LED's, they won't be hard to get out at all.

Putting the new ones in is as easy as soldering two wires together and gluing the body in place.

+1 all of the above
Just make sure to not mix + & - side of the led when soldering, otherwise they remain dark :)

Darn, just why am i now humming "Purple Rain, Purple raaaaaiiiin...."?

I have yet to come across a LED fan that actually works well as a case fan. They work fine for PSU fans (and only for the smaller PSUs) as well as in low power machines, but you'll need several of them on a typical gaming machine. I suggest just getting a regular good quality fan, drilling holes in the frame, and installing your own LEDs. (Go slow and practice on some junk fans first.)

Back