• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Push-pull fan configs on heatsinks

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

magellan

Should push-pull fan configs always have fans of exactly the same CFM, size and static pressure?

If you only have the option of a push or pull and not both, should you always use
a pull config?

They don't have to be exact but at least try to make them similar.

As for your second question, there is no always right answer. Try it both ways and see.

For your second question, I personally use a pull config due to my RAM being high profile and not being able to fit another fan in for the push. My temps have been pretty good with that setup so if you go that route you should be fine.

Your best bet is to test it out yourself though and see which config gives you the best results.

As Starrbuck said, fans need to be similar.

Second answer is traditionally fans push a little bit better than they pull... often no difference... 1c, maybe 2c difference at most. Same applied to running push/pull versus single fan... normally only 1-2c difference.

Normally, for me I always use a push configuration if only one fan can be used.

For push-pull fans of the same model would be ideal, but if you don't have two of the same model then you could use the higher RPM fan in push and the lower RPM fan in pull and that would normally work fine.

I've used non-matching fans before with the faster one pushing and the slower one pulling and saw no real problems with that configuration.

Normally, for me I always use a push configuration if only one fan can be used.

For push-pull fans of the same model would be ideal, but if you don't have two of the same model then you could use the higher RPM fan in push and the lower RPM fan in pull and that would normally work fine.

I've used non-matching fans before with the faster one pushing and the slower one pulling and saw no real problems with that configuration.

I tried the above outside of my case and it did drop my temps by about a degree celsisus. Inside my case though, a pull fan would block all airflow into my top mounted PSU, so I'm kinda stuck w/my one push fan config.

Back