• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PWM fan question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

S_I_N

lol OK I'm probably over thinking this but here is my scenario. I currently run 13 (yes 13) Bifenix Spectre Pro Blue LED fans in my switch 810. Currently all 13 are connected to my NZXT Sentry Mesh fan controller. I'd like to reclaim the bay for another purpose so I bought 2 of the Swiftech 8 pin fan splitters. Now these are for PWM fans which my Spectre Pro's are not. Here is my thought instead of replacing all 13 fans with pwn fans shouldn't I be able to just replace 2 with pwm for the monitoring since only channel one on the splitter is read. these fans cost 17$ each plus shipping and I'd hate to have to buy them again lol (pwm versions were not out when I bought these) And yes it'll be the same fan as I already have just with pwm. This will allow me to set the bios fan options up for cooling control and free up my bay for something else. My other option which I don't really consider an option lol is to buy a new rez and pump top and relocate to the inside of the chassis my pump rez from my Alphacool Repack Dual D5 dual Bay Rez currently in use.

The Swiftech splitter will allow your motherboard to control only PWM fans. And you couldn't really plug 13 fans on a single motherboard header for voltage control either.

The Swiftech splitter will allow your motherboard to control only PWM fans. And you couldn't really plug 13 fans on a single motherboard header for voltage control either.

hmmm maybe if you look at the splitter you'll see how it works. It does not use the mobo for power just pwm monitoring. The power comes from a molex psu power plug. The mobo lead is just 2 wires strictly for fan speed monitoring. Plus its a 8 fan splitter I have 2 it'll be 6 on one and 7 on the other. My basic question maybe I over stated it. Is simply if I got 2 pwm fans for the channel one spot will it control my non pwm fans. seeing as it only reads one fan. Or do all the fans have to be pwm for the controller to work.

The way that splitter works is all of the fans are controlled by the mobo PWM header. While the fan 1 header reports RPMs back to the mobo.

Pin 1 >> PWM Signal to all fans
Pin 2 >> RPM Signal from Fan 1
Pins 3/4 >> Power from PSU

I hope this gives some clarity.

The way that splitter works is all of the fans are controlled by the mobo PWM header. While the fan 1 header reports RPMs back to the mobo.

Pin 1 >> PWM Signal to all fans
Pin 2 >> RPM Signal from Fan 1
Pins 3/4 >> Power from PSU

I hope this gives some clarity.
yes it does thank you
No it will not control non-PWM fans. It does not have a voltage controlled output, just the PWM passthrough signal.

Damn then I guess if I want to do this I'm gonna have to price out replacing 13 fans vs a new rez pump top combo. or just keep things the way they are lol.

you mean to convert my non pwm fans to pwm??? Truthfully I think it would be better to just buy new fans lol. Definitely alot easier lol. Actually looking at them the pwm versions have a slightly higher static pressure 2.14 mmH2O vs 1.38 mmH2O that might be something to sway me that way.

Last edited:

yeah its how I roll sometimes lol. While $$ is an issue having the time and skilzs to do whats needed for that mod sometimes out weighs the $$ issue. This is not something that has to be done at all. I just wanted to try and free up a bay so I can put my hot swap bay back in. In the real world of things it'd be far cheaper to just purchase a desktop hot swap bay imho. But seeing as the static pressure is higher with the pwm fans has me thinking hmmm how much improvement will I see right now I run my fans at roughly 25-35% for the rads and low for the intakes and exhaust fans 10-15% respectively. They are very quiet at these settings. About the only thing I hear from my case is the dual D5's at setting 3 they hum a tad. I dont really need dual D5's its just how the combo came. I have dual loops but they share a common rez. I can easily turn it to a single loop with most likely the same temps.

It's your money and I'm not gonna sit here and tell you how to spend, but if I can make that decision an educated one, then I've done my job. If I was in this situation and needed a hot-swap bay for whatever application, I would research remote hot-swap bays (do they even make these? I'm worried about bandwidth issues.) and then re-evaluate my options.

why not let the controller "dangle" inside the case?

lol well that defeats the purpose of a windowed case and cable management. Truth be told I have spent way to much to get it to where it is now. (why IB and Haswell can kiss my arse) I dont mind spending a bit more to complete it, but I will say this i find my love for the 810 dwindling somewhat (mainly due to my daughter scratching the side window) I am considering other cases. I like the 900D other than the fact its not white and well the 400$ price tag is also unlikable.

Back