• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[Q] Guide to OC AMD FX-8320 with Asus Crosshair Formula-Z

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fnaticiNsi

Hi all,

Since I'm new to overclocking and need some things to learn I'm gonna ask my question here.

I want to overclock my cpu so that it runs on at least 4.0 ghz (standaard 3.51 ghz)

Also when I check my bios my memory only runs at 1600 mHz when it can run at 1866. How can I change the settings so it runs at 1866??

Below are my specs:

MOBO: Asus Crosshair Formula-Z
CPU: AMD FX-8320
MEM: G.skill 2x4GB, DDR3, PC14900, CL9, XMP, Sniper
GPU: SAPPHIRE R9 290

Let me know if I'm missing some specs. I hope someone can help me with this.

Thanks in Advance.

What are you cooling the Cpu with?
Here is a guide on a Gigabyte board, no it's not the same BIOS but it will give you a general understanding of what is required of you when overclocking. After you read it download prime 95, hwmonitor "non pro" and cpu-z. Then open hwmonitor and run prime 95 blend for 20 minutes. Watch your temps, if the cpu temp goes above 70 or the package above 62 stop the test. Then post screen shots of Hwmonitor and the following tabs in Cpu-z, cpu, spd and memory, using the in forum attachment tool. Here's how.

What are you cooling the Cpu with?
Here is a guide on a Gigabyte board, no it's not the same BIOS but it will give you a general understanding of what is required of you when overclocking. After you read it download prime 95, hwmonitor "non pro" and cpu-z. Then open hwmonitor and run prime 95 blend for 20 minutes. Watch your temps, if the cpu temp goes above 70 or the package above 62 stop the test. Then post screen shots of Hwmonitor and the following tabs in Cpu-z, cpu, spd and memory, using the in forum attachment tool. Here's how.

I'm using this Cooling:
Gelid Solutions Processor Koeler Tranquillo Rev.2 AMD & Intel

http://rog.asus.com/216552013/cross...g-fx-8350-to-4-8ghz-on-crosshair-v-formula-z/

2 page ROG overclocking guide of the Crosshair V -Z motherboard. Has actual pics of the CHV-Z bios and all. Just about nothing to it if you follow along and have good cooling. I made a couple of suggestions below since you are shooting for 4.0Ghz

In the bios screen he has 24.0 chosen for a multiplier. You want 4.0Ghz so choose 20.0

He said take cpu Volts to 1.5V and not much further and I would suggest 1.425V for 4.0Ghz on your FX-8320. You may have to raise it but that is where I would begin.

Otherwise that is a pretty complete walk-thru of setting up that bios for overclocking an 8 core FX processor.

http://rog.asus.com/216552013/cross...g-fx-8350-to-4-8ghz-on-crosshair-v-formula-z/

2 page ROG overclocking guide of the Crosshair V -Z motherboard. Has actual pics of the CHV-Z bios and all. Just about nothing to it if you follow along and have good cooling. I made a couple of suggestions below since you are shooting for 4.0Ghz

In the bios screen he has 24.0 chosen for a multiplier. You want 4.0Ghz so choose 20.0

He said take cpu Volts to 1.5V and not much further and I would suggest 1.425V for 4.0Ghz on your FX-8320. You may have to raise it but that is where I would begin.

Otherwise that is a pretty complete walk-thru of setting up that bios for overclocking an 8 core FX processor.

Thank you for your reply RGone.

Im gonna look into it tonight. I have another question. If I succesfully overclock my CPU. How can I get my DRam to work properly?? I have the G.Skill Sniper 8gb (2x4gb) 1866Mhz modules..

Any guides for that aswell???

You'll need to set it manually in the bios. Set the Dram frequency, voltage and timings according to the SPD information, you can get this in the tools section of the bios

You'll need to set it manually in the bios. Set the Dram frequency, voltage and timings according to the SPD information, you can get this in the tools section of the bios

Lets see if I get this right.

In the SPD information screen are the correct and the wrong Dram frequency, voltage and timings listed???

Sorry... I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to manually overclocking and setting the Dram frequency, voltage and timings for the DRam

When in the BIOS go to the tools section navigate to the SPD info and open it. Leave that open, then click on the tweaker section at the top, navigate down to Dram timings and open it. You should now be able to click back and foeth between the screens using that tabs at the top of the page. Just set the main timings for your ram asi in this example. 9-10-9-26-35 2T, your will be different, the rest can be difficult to identify and your board should set them on it's own. Now back out of that screen and locate the Dram frequency, set the Frequency that corresponded with the timings @ 1866. Go further down the page and set the voltage as well. Then save and reset.

Okay well, I have my CPU now running quite stable @ 4.21 Ghz. So far I have had 1 boot failure and 0 BSOD's. I've ran Prime95 for about 45mins testing everything and had 0 warnings and 0 errors.

The voltage is running at settings: AUTO. and the multiplier is set to 21. I have a few more questions though:

- If I choose to oc it further, do I really need to adjust the Voltages??
-- If I need to adjust the voltage. How can I do this the most safest way? How big should the steps be? 0.1 volt or something like that?
- What's the difference between raising the multiplier and raising the Bus Speed??

Sorry being a noob when it comes to Manually OC'ing...

So if I put the voltage at around 1.425 I can get around 4.4Ghz? Nice! But what about the memory? Do I have to do specific things for that or can I insert the right timings after I overclock the cpu??

So if I put the voltage at around 1.425 I can get around 4.4Ghz? Nice! But what about the memory? Do I have to do specific things for that or can I insert the right timings after I overclock the cpu??

Sure you can input correct timings for the ram/memory. Before or after upping speed of the processor. Correcting ram speed; all that is adjustable and most certainly should be adjusted adequetely.
RGone...

Thanks, RGone you are very helpfull!!

I'm going to try and oc the cpu more after work! I'll let you know how it went!

Thanks again!

Back