• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Q6600 B3 versus Q6600 G0

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

defiant79

Hello,

I'm gearing up for my next build (been putting off month after month waiting on prices to come down and the new 780i boards), my plan from the get go was a Q6600 G0 stepping processor. Well a buddy of mine is in a money crunch and is offering me the B3 stepping at a fairly nice price. I'm not interested in overclocking this from the get go (but once I read about it more and learn all of the options on the new board once I get it then I may want to take it up to 3-3.4 ghz or somewhere in that neighborhood).

Is there really a big difference in the two? I know the G0 runs cooler and uses less wattage, but is it going to make a real difference? I'm planning on putting a Thermalright 120 Extreme (lapped of course) on this thing to cool it so.....

Thanks for your time guys and I really love all of the reviews and photos everyone posts up. Has helped greatly in my decision on what components to go with. I'm over half way through modding my own case for this build so I will post up pics of everything once its done.

Thanks again!

Well how much is he selling it to you for? G0 chips will generally clock higher and I'd say you definitely want the G0 stepping unless his B3 is under $200 or something.

Though if the B3 he is selling to you is a nice one, 3.4ghz shouldn't be too much trouble.

Well its being offered to me at $150 (its only a few months old to boot). Thats the only reason I'm interested in it. This processor is going to be a nice upgrade of my current one (Pentium D 2.8GHZ) so I'm not interested in taking that Q6600 and trying to push 4 GHZ out of it. If I can easily take it to 3 GHZ and run stable with board and memory I'm looking at then that is fine.

For $150 i would take it. But i payed $150 for my G0 "it was $300 and they gave me $155 trade in for my E4500 woot"

But for $150 i say get it.

Yeah at $150 it is a steal. You should definitely be able to do 3ghz with that board and cooler.

Yeah that price is crazy. So you'll only get 3.0 or 3.2 ghz out of it maybe. But for $150 jesus sweet deal. Especially up from a pent D, congrats dude.

yes get the Q6600, even B3's have an easy time hitting 4 ghz. mine runs at 1.23vcore @3.0 24/7.

also try using negative case pressure, i just installed 2 TT 70cfm rated fans(i doubt it) both sucking out and just oneside panel sucking in(80mm antec blue led) and my temps have dropped by 6 degrees idle and 7 degrees load. just a tip :)

Good luck with your B3, it is a b3 right?

yes get the Q6600, even B3's have an easy time hitting 4 ghz. mine runs at 1.23vcore @3.0 24/7.

also try using negative case pressure, i just installed 2 TT 70cfm rated fans(i doubt it) both sucking out and just oneside panel sucking in(80mm antec blue led) and my temps have dropped by 6 degrees idle and 7 degrees load. just a tip :)

Good luck with your B3, it is a b3 right?

I'm sure you meant they have no trouble hitting 3ghz, not 4ghz. 4ghz on air with a G0 even is an incredible overclock, I've never once seen a B3 on air running at 4GHz.

I bet you could see one running on air at 4ghz..but i bet she wont last long ;)

I think he ment 3ghz and not 4

Back