• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Q6600 - My first OC! + Advice needed on VCore...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

phully

Hey chaps, attached is what ive managed to get out of my Q6600 on air today after tinkering for a few hours.

test1gg1.jpg

Im pretty sure this beast can go a lot higher, but as soon as i hit 3ghz it craps out on me, and dies under load. Im thinking that upping the vcore a little might help, only, ive got a little bit of a problem.

I have an Asus P5N-MX, and when i enter into the bios to adjust the Vcore, it simply gives me two options.

"1.24v" or "Ignor"

Im slightly confused, i expected it to allow me to up the voltage some way, am i missing something? I must be looking at the wrong part, surely?

My setup:

Q6600 GO
4GB DDR2 800
500GB Seagate HDD
8800 GS (OC'd)
750w PSU W/60amps on the 12v rail
XP SP2

Any, and all advice, as ever would be appreciated!

-Aaron

I think your looking at the readout, not the adjustment. It's asking if you want see the current voltage or ignor the signal.

I'm not sure what your BIOS looks like, but the vcore settings are in the 'Jumper Free Settings' in my BIOS.

Give it about 15 minutes then see what your temperatures are, other then that, looks good for a stock vcore overclock! You should be able to get 3.6GHz with more vcore and if your RAM is good quality.

Give it about 15 minutes then see what your temperatures are, other then that, looks good for a stock vcore overclock! You should be able to get 3.6GHz with more vcore and if your RAM is good quality.

Been running it for the most part of this evening at them temps, so seems pretty stable atm.

As for the other chap, yep you are correct in that i was looking at the wrong bit. Although, going into the Jumper Free bit, where i adjusted the FSB, it only gives me an option to change ONE voltage, which is the "1.8v something or other" which gives me an option of 1.8 or 1.95v, so i dont think its the Proc.

Any ideas?

I am thinking that is the RAM voltage?

You may have to go to another screen to find your vcore, NB, SB, etc. voltages.

I remember on the P5N board that the FSB and the RAM Voltage were on the same screen, but in order to change the vcore you had to go to a different screen.

I am thinking that is the RAM voltage?

You may have to go to another screen to find your vcore, NB, SB, etc. voltages.

Yep looking at it now, its the RAM.

Hmm, i have a P5N-MX Mobo if that helps, ive look all over the BIOS and dont see how i can increase the voltage.

I can not remember off the top of my head but, I hope your board has the ability to change the vcore in the first place.

P5N board are not the greatest overclocking boards out there. Past a certain FSB, about 325 if I am correct, the chipset starts to be come flaky and unstable.

This is due to the Nforce 4 chipset and the Intel Processor being in-compatible with each other past a certain FSB.

The ASUS forums where heaven for me when I had my P5N-SLI SE Deluxe board.

They are great motherboard; the P5N line is rock solid stable but when overclocking, there is going to be about a 600Mhz limit.

This guy had no luck either and people on those boards always post up the answer if there is one readily available.

Last edited:
Woah... thats one low VID you have on that chip.. Didnt even know it went that low on Quads...

Ok, so given that i cant up the voltage from the bios, is there some way to do it from within windows, and/or can i flash it with a different bios, and/or can i edit my current bios to up the voltage?

You can try BIOS 0606 which is the latest but I doubt it will help. It never hurts to try though. Just choose your motherboard and download the BIOS tool.

I personally don't use any Windows based overclocking programs, just BIOS. They are not recommended so I won't recommend it.

Uhhh, wow. Super low VID on that Q6600. And your reported Voltage to 3GHz is amazing. What is it set to in BIOS??? Is that stable??? I can see your Screencap, but it looks like prime has only been running for 1 minute. Get a board that can unleash that beast!

Remember that these chips have 2 VIDs. A full speed VID and a speedstep VID. I think his speedstep VID may be showing.

Are you sure about that? I've never seen anything but 1.265v in the VID. If this is true it would certainly explain alot since I've never seen a VID that low on a Q6600.

Last edited:
Are you sure about that? I've never seen anything but 1.265v in the VID. If this is true it would certainly explain alot since I've never seen a VID that low on a Q6600.

I have seen 1 or 2 1.2VIDs on sale here on the forums.

The only way I see of upping the voltage is finding a hard mod for it. And that might not even work.

Back