• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Q6700 Overclocking.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

EPirate

Well it has been quite awhile since i last was into computer modding or posted here and now that i can semi afford it my interest has returned. I have acquired a new gaming rig since my wife has claimed my i7 machine. What i have is:

Q6700 Intel Core 2 Quad @ stock on Watercooling
Asus P532n E Sli
4 gigs DDR2 800
ATI HD 4870 X2 @ 795gpu/950memory - Aftermarket HS
750w PSU

Now i traded for this computer so i did not pick the parts. This ATI card in the nvidia board baffles me. Anyway I have OC it to 3.2 unstable and 3ghz stable. The different from stock to the 3ghz was pretty large on 3dmark vantage and about 5-10 fps in battlefield. Now my i7 920 runs BF3 beta(i know its beta and might change on release) on high setting flawlessly smooth. And this Q6700 rig runs it on Medium O.K. Now i am thinking it is because that the ati card is a DX10 card and not 11. In Benchmarks using 3dmarkVantage my Q6700 obtained higher FPS about 8 and about 400 points more than the i7. The rig mainly out performed my i7 on video front and lagged far behind on the CPU front. Now i know im eventually going to upgrade either the video card or the CPU and MB. Not sure which would give me the most improvement. Wanted to get opinions on which i should go for. Id much rather the Video card because its more affordable. But im looking for best decision. Also would OC this thing to about 3.4 make it comparable? Comments and opinions welcome. Like i said it has been a long time since i was into this so criticize away. Thanks guys!

:)

Last edited:
The combo you have is pretty decent. If anything, your motherboard may be a tad underwhelming, thereby limiting your overclocks. On a P45 board (Maximus II), I could get my Q6700 to 3.6~3.7 stable 24/7.

Yea a bit dated. Im going to see what i can push it to. I was thinking about changing out the MB. Maybe pick up a amd so i can cross fire with another 4870 x2. Then again a newer single core might be better. Im going to try to push 3.4 out of it this weekend. Thanks for the info.

Back