• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Quad Crazy!! WARNING ALOT of pics

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
May I ask how much money you've spent on this, so far?

Not too big on reading moderator's posts are ya?

That's personal and asking makes things awkward. He knows that if people want to know, he can say. When making the THREAD, the idea came to him about saying cost. The fact that he didn't say in his first post should tell you and anyone else posting here, that he does not want to say how much he spent.

OP: Great build. I hope you post with results after finding out why the CPU temps are high. Check for kinks in the lines, any of the blocks in the loop causing resistance. Hell, even for all time's sake, just check the blocks for build up or improper fastening.

There's bound to be a reason. You're running rather low Vcore to be seeing those temps.

Has nothing to do with the radiators. I finally did find why the temps were so high at idle. Believe it or not, when running Everest it adds 8 to 10 degrees at idle. I couldnt believe it but its true. If I turn everest off and just have Coretemp running, BAM, temps drop down to the mid to low 30's....Go Figure....

yes everest reads higher cause its using the wrong TJ for the cpu.

How much, if any, difficulty did you have in drilling holes in the case through the powder coating?

No Fx-53, not a problem at all. It's just painted aluminum, no different than drilling a hole in anything. UFO's are fabulous cases. The only thing I dont like about them is that the aluminum is a bit thinner than I would like in some places. It need a little re-inforcement around the power supply hole that is above the motherboard. When you mount a supply there, the weight tends to bow out the back, especially if its a larger supply like the one I am using.

Also the thumb screws for the side panels need to be longer when using plexiglass sides. For aluminum sides they are just fine, for plexi they only grab about 1 thread and I cant seem to find longer ones online anywhere. They do hold, but I would much prefer longer ones.

Well, I have the Blackops installed now. I can get it to post just fine at all stock speeds, but the minute I try anything else it wont post at all. I know its something silly that I am missing. I'll have to look around and try to find some guides or writeups that might slap me around and show me what I am doing wrong. I dont feel I am doing anything wrong, but ya never know. Maybe its because I have 4 sticks of memory installed, that has been a problem on MB's before for some reason, I dont know. I'm just happy to have it running right now. Took me 2 days to install this and get everything done the way I wanted, so I'm a bit frustrated that I cant get a very mild OC to begin with. Best thing I can do right now is just sit back, take a break and look around to see. Hopefully I can find some informative Blackops posts.

You don't have a quad PSU setup? . . . and you call yourself quadzilla?

Goodluck with the blackops. I hope your luck turns around.

Last edited:
GT- How bad is the issue with the bowing on the elevated PS slot? I'm trying to decide if I want the back to be a triple rad slot to and just have on PSU hole, but I'm going to run the board horizontally and it would put the PSU bay wagging up in the air. What abour some acrylic rod to brace it with?

GT- How bad is the issue with the bowing on the elevated PS slot? I'm trying to decide if I want the back to be a triple rad slot to and just have on PSU hole, but I'm going to run the board horizontally and it would put the PSU bay wagging up in the air. What abour some acrylic rod to brace it with?

Its not what I would call something you would care for or want to have happen to your very expensive UFO case. I had to brace mine before I felt better cause I didnt like it one bit. Now, a normal sized PSU should be just fine, they dont usually weigh near as much as a larger one, but an oversized one, like the Galaxy I have, is very very heavy. You would want to figure a way to brace the rear of the PSP if you use a larger one and the hole is not at the normal bottom corner of the case.

Hey Fouts - I've been watching this thread on and off, and all I can say is I'm very impressed.

Regarding your CPU Temp issues, did you ever figure that out? My bet would be a concave IHS on that QX9650 - a good lapping might fix some of the temp problems. On the other hand, lapping a CPU does take a bit of guts!

Awesome Job man!

-Endgame

I hate you with a passion .... All I can say is, I can't wait till I am out of college and have a decent job so I can compete with you ;) For now, I will have to stick with my simple setup, and I was all excited about getting water cooling :(

I hate you with a passion .... All I can say is, I can't wait till I am out of college and have a decent job so I can compete with you ;) For now, I will have to stick with my simple setup, and I was all excited about getting water cooling :(

Whoa whoa whoa, don't rain on GT's parade here. Just because you don't have as nice a setup doesn't mean you have to make him feel bad for it...

In any case it should just make you excited about the endless possibilities with water cooling rather than making you think of how much worse yours may be.

Endgame124 - I dont have any temp issues anymore now that I have the Blackops. In my little bit of exp. with the Maximus, it definetly runs hotter than any MB I have had, at least the one I had did. I am also finding that the QX9650 needs more vcore than other chips when you pump it up above 4GHz. So, of course, you're going to have a bit higher temps. Plus, Everest adds another 10 degrees when its running the temp monitoring because it seems to use alot of CPU when doing this. It does the same thing with the Blackops. I have been turned on to a program called Real Temp that I feel alot better with in monitoring CPU temps.

Omni - I'm not here to compete with anyone. I did this for me, and me alone. In reality, this is a totally ridiculous setup that overkill doesn't even begin to define. The cost of putting together a setup like this does NOT justify the end results. A 2 loop system would perform the same, maybe 2 or 3 degree difference at worst. Do not let the WC bug bite you and make you think that more is cooler, this is not true in the least bit. Water can only cool so much no matter how much of it you have. Keep that in mind when you decide to build your own system.

Water can only cool so much no matter how much of it you have.

That is a very balanced, good point. You don't go through the expense and work to make something like this JUST for a few more degrees. You do it because you like doing it.

Whoa whoa whoa, don't rain on GT's parade here. Just because you don't have as nice a setup doesn't mean you have to make him feel bad for it...

In any case it should just make you excited about the endless possibilities with water cooling rather than making you think of how much worse yours may be.
This was meant as a "mocking" compliment, it really is a beautiful system, just wish I had the money to invest in such a system :)

Back