• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Quake 4 News!! (pix included)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sentential

Contributing Member
Quake 4 preview hits net

AS THE LATES issue of PC Zone magazine in the UK hits subscribers - it's another week until it gets to newsstands - details are already leaking onto the net about the huge Quake 4 preview inside.
Quake 4 is being developed not by id, but by Raven Software, using the Doom 3 engine. Many are looking forward to it as the first 'proper' title using the engine, as Doom 3 is a little 'content-lite' and repetitive. No doubt Nvidia are also looking forward to its release, as it's another game that they will have a frame rate advantage in.

According to Shacknews, Quake 4 is a direct sequel to Quake 2 that takes place just hours after the events of the first game, with the storyline focusing on the invasion by humans of the Strogg homeworld. Vehicles and squad-based play will be included, giving it a little of a Halo-esque spin. Raven are quoted as saying "Doom 3... was horror. With Quake 4, it's war."
- The Inquirer

Pix:

a_quake4-2.jpg

a_quake4-3.jpg

a_quake4-4.jpg

a_quake4-5.jpg

a_quake4-6.jpg

a_quake4-7.jpg

Looks very impressive. It kinda reminds me of battle of proxycon in 3dmark03.

Before it was if Doom 3 or HL2 would come out first. I wonder if we will see Quake 4 before Half life 2. :burn:

That would be awefully nice. Mostly Im looking foreward to Multiplayer Deathmatch again... not this UT, or HL or Doom3 crap. But from the inventors themselves.

No one can deny that Quake has the very best deathmatches...hands down :attn:

Looks very very nice :)

Looks like my Ti4200 may not be able to cut it for much longer...

I was hoping for a Quake 4 Arena type thing with vehicles. The map textures and the soldiers look exactly the same as Doom 3. Shouldn't they hype this game with better screen shots? These look horrible, show us the railgun or some vehicles or some of the enemies.

Looks good, but dang I already have a few games on my plate to finish up. The 2nd was still my favorite out of the 3 out for some reason.

Looks awesome. You'll probably need a hefty system to get decent frame rates in multilplayer. We all know what Doom 3 fps is like in single player alone.

electromagnetic said:
I was hoping for a Quake 4 Arena type thing with vehicles. The map textures and the soldiers look exactly the same as Doom 3. Shouldn't they hype this game with better screen shots? These look horrible, show us the railgun or some vehicles or some of the enemies.

with the net code of Doom3, we could only hope and pray for better deathmatch games.

I was a big freak of Q3A, yet I hear nothing but poor results from Id's Doom3 multiplayer....and it was Id.software that gave us quake, not raven.

also, I'm wondering if we are going to get low res textures again, like in Doom3....
the only good thing about Doom3's graphics was it's models.
the rest sucked big time.
(and I'm not seeing anything sweet looking in the background... :mad: )

this is one game I'm going to wait for user reviews.

mica

Back