• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Quake 4 News!! (pix included)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
micamica1217 said:
I have to agree that all the quakes pwned my sole...
yet this is a whole new engine, with poor graphics and even poorer netcode.

yet since we are talking about Quake4, that was made with the Doom3 engine...
tell me how they are really going to improve not only the netcode, but the low res textures?

infact, in one of the pics that was in the mag...the one with the man down.
just above his left leg was a "triangle" on the wall.
that triangle was made with a low res texture, that even had jagies on the texture itself.

my point is I want this game, but if anything it would be for the single player since we might not see any good multiplayer from this too.
(man, I hope I'm wrong about this.)

mica

agreed but they JUST got done with doom3...how close to completion can Q4 be!!?? those pictures where just pretty much doom3 with Q4 skins...they got a long way to go with the game (knowing id) and im sure they realize their netcode sucks and will have to improve upon it...cause i sure as hell aint playing no laggy 4 player multi on Q4 :D

OMG. *points and laughs*

Have you people forgotten the game won't be out for like 2 years or somet stupid, and 1 of you is whining about Doom 3's multiplayer. HAHAHA! :clap:

First thing I thought when I saw the screenies was like 'WTF singleplayer??? :S'

Second thing was like 'WTF Doom 3 engine that means the game is going to run like crap on every system out now because 60 fps limit is unplayable at pro level'

Grov said:
OMG. *points and laughs*

Have you people forgotten the game won't be out for like 2 years or somet stupid, and 1 of you is whining about Doom 3's multiplayer. HAHAHA! :clap:

Well I was talking about how the Doom 3 engine, which will be used to power Quake 4, needs streamlined net code to be able to handle the eye candy during the chaos of multiplayer. I think that's pretty obvious considering the kind of fps people are getting with Doom 3. Add 8 bots (or other players) and the chaotic nature of multilplayer...we're talking unplayable frame rates for sure unless the code is streamlined.

So...even though it may be years away, that's still a valid point...unless we all have fiber optic internet connections, which I doubt.

Last edited:
Drec said:
agreed but they JUST got done with doom3...how close to completion can Q4 be!!?? those pictures where just pretty much doom3 with Q4 skins...they got a long way to go with the game (knowing id) and im sure they realize their netcode sucks and will have to improve upon it...cause i sure as hell aint playing no laggy 4 player multi on Q4 :D

ahhh, it's raven software that is making Quake4...not Id.software

mica

Why do visuals figure into net perfomance anyways? The graphics are renedered local, there is no need to send anything but player positions, shots fired, and other such information important to the gameplay itself. It's not like explosions and stuff like that are synchronized particle by particle on every computer in the game. The game just says something like put explosion_grenade_1 at x,y,z. All computers in the game do it, and the result is almost identical on each computer because the code is identical. Or for lighting (say a level like "lights out" in D3), all that needs to be sent is a single boolean stating that the light_23 or whatever is either 1 or 0, and it doesn't need to be updated again until it is changed. If an opposing player is running around in front of a dynamic light, the game doesn't need to send me all the shadow information from the other player's computer, just his position, like it has been for every game since the original Dooms, inventors of MP. I calculate the shadows locally. I don't see why having a more detailed room or fire animation should affect the net speed.

Last edited:
If only I had a scanner, PC Gamer had even better pictures. One of these pictures was of a human meat processing plant :).

Q4 is looking like it will shape up to be a "killer" game, no pun intended.

Wow, did someone take a picture and then put it on the screen? That's some graphic quality. I'm glad I upgraded from the 9200 to the 9800 Pro. I'll be needing it. Nice pics Sen, thanks for digging them up. I'm too lazy to look around for them myself.

^^ and you can prove this? they more like cut scene movies....

i dont doub the quality of the game just most all first round screens are rarely ingame screens that the customer would see.

^ That is true. Most games do that to draw people in. We can hope that they are actually game screenshots though. Can you imagine what that would be like ? That would bring the 9800's down to their knees.

I found the last quake game to get boring after a while. I hope this one changes that.

enduro said:
^ That is true. Most games do that to draw people in. We can hope that they are actually game screenshots though. Can you imagine what that would be like ? That would bring the 9800's down to their knees.
Didnt we say the same thing about Doom3? :rolleyes: Im sure this is the real deal.

Yeah, but I'm hoping that Quake 4 is actually worth playing. Doom III had nice graphics, but that was it. I wasn't impressed with the game itself at all. The AI really sucked when compared with Far Cry and at least Far Cry has some sunlight in it. The Doom name doesn't have to apply to the atmosphere throughout the game in my opinion.

Back