• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Quake 4 News!! (pix included)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
i think that is what the original post says.

quake owns. and the fact that this is going to be an extension of q2 is music to my ears. i used to a quake2 addict. that game had, and still has the best damn multiplayer gameplay i have ever seen. can't wait for q4. :beer:

kurisu said:

let's see, were do I start....?

poor framerate as compared to single player....
do mostly to CPU based shadow calculations.
do to the new patch, you now can't use some tweeks, and framerates on mid to low end cards are now crippled to 10fps at times.

low player count.
I don't play UT2k4, but I think you can have at least 32players....maybe 64?
Doom3....4,8. any more and your F'ed.

the net code stinks.
BF:V is much better. (says alot about Id's thoughts on multiplayer for Doom3.)

lack of advancement in graphical technoligy.
low res textures all over the place. (some textures even have jaggies on them.)
shaders no better then DX8.1 style at the best of moments....DX7.0 the rest of the times.
not what I would expect from Id.software.

mica

I think if maybe you just take the Unreal2 engine and add bump mapping that would just about suit everyone for the time being, and it would be fast as hell too. The Doom 3 engine seems to be tailored for just Doom 3, what other game really needs these complex shadows? Actually not even Doom 3 needs them. I played all through the single player w/o shadows and it was still very dark and very scary.

I wish they would just show us some high rez screen shots to get excited about, these shots look like a Doom 3 mod. Oh, and teh weapons look especially ghey.

electromagnetic said:
Quake was always about the multiplayer, I really hope they make a sort of vehicle objective based multiplayer with this.
There won't be any vehicles in the multiplayer.

Flashfx2 said:
There won't be any vehicles in the multiplayer.
Sez who? Thats now what I heard. From my understanding it will feel alot like Halo mixed with QIII arena style gameplay.

You really shouldn't link those images here, especailly not with the article there, as it makes people not buy the magazine and is ripping off the magazine company, and I am pretty sure its illegal.

9mmCensor said:
You really shouldn't link those images here, especailly not with the article there, as it makes people not buy the magazine and is ripping off the magazine company, and I am pretty sure its illegal.
I wouldnt buy it either way. Besides did you want to see them or not? lol

Plus I didnt rip em. They came from another forum. Only reason I had those is because they are the only pix I could find of Q4. But if you insist :D Ill take em down

I wasnt the one who had them, they were taken from another site. NOV issue of PC gamer has them in it. Also just google it and Im sure you can find them

micamica1217 said:
let's see, were do I start....?

poor framerate as compared to single player....
do mostly to CPU based shadow calculations.
do to the new patch, you now can't use some tweeks, and framerates on mid to low end cards are now crippled to 10fps at times.

low player count.
I don't play UT2k4, but I think you can have at least 32players....maybe 64?
Doom3....4,8. any more and your F'ed.

the net code stinks.
BF:V is much better. (says alot about Id's thoughts on multiplayer for Doom3.)

lack of advancement in graphical technoligy.
low res textures all over the place. (some textures even have jaggies on them.)
shaders no better then DX8.1 style at the best of moments....DX7.0 the rest of the times.
not what I would expect from Id.software.

mica

Well this is because they created doom 3 as a mostly single player game, they wanted to focus more on single player then on multiplayer because Q3 had no single player...maybe we should be lucky they even bothered adding a multiplayer :)

But all the Quakes still own your soul.

Drec said:
Well this is because they created doom 3 as a mostly single player game, they wanted to focus more on single player then on multiplayer because Q3 had no single player...maybe we should be lucky they even bothered adding a multiplayer :)

But all the Quakes still own your soul.

I have to agree that all the quakes pwned my sole...
yet this is a whole new engine, with poor graphics and even poorer netcode.

yet since we are talking about Quake4, that was made with the Doom3 engine...
tell me how they are really going to improve not only the netcode, but the low res textures?

infact, in one of the pics that was in the mag...the one with the man down.
just above his left leg was a "triangle" on the wall.
that triangle was made with a low res texture, that even had jagies on the texture itself.

my point is I want this game, but if anything it would be for the single player since we might not see any good multiplayer from this too.
(man, I hope I'm wrong about this.)

mica

Back