• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question about 965 BE

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

failgod

Good day! I'm a frequent reader/lurker/stalker here but this is a first time that I registered.
I just want to ask something about Phenom II x4 965 BE.

1st is, aren't those have unlocked multiplier? Correct me if im wrong tho.
cuz mine shows (4-17) and increasing the multiplier via bios will result in boot up failure on my gigabyte 970A-DS3P motherboard.

2nd, I've overclocked it via increasing the bus speed from 200 to 235. I just want to know if my settings are safe or if i still have a room
for improvement or adjustments. If there's something wrong in my settings kindly enlighten me so that i can change it as I don't want to
fry it in the long run lol.

anyway, here's my cpuz:
cpuz1.jpg cpuz2.jpg

My specs:

AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE c3
Gigabyte 970A-DS3P
Palit GTX650 TI OC
Corsair vs550
Corsair vengeance 4gb x2
Cooler master Hyper 212x (idle is around 35c-40c depending on the time & weather. Load doesn't exceed 50)

I just want a little guide if ever there's something wrong with my settings. They're stable btw. but if ever there are still room for improvement
or if im doing something wrong then let me know. It's much easier if i can just adjust the multiplier but idk why i can't. (I saw a lot of ppl
overclocking 965 using the multiplier so idk what im missing.)

English isn't my mother tongue, so if im making no sense at all, im sorry. lol Thanks!

for 24/7 the targets tend to be 3.8 on the cores, 1700 or so on the ram.
temps not over 55c, cpu/nb 2600 or more if you can.

For the cpu/nb I can easily get it at 2600 or probably more. but on the 1700 ram, idk. Honestly, I didn't want them to go more than 1600. I used to be at 1600, but ram mostly cause bsods so i maintained them at lower rates, mostly at 1300/1600. but on this procie, since i can't do it via just the multiplier, i go for 1300-1600. (this is actually my sister's gaming PC that i have set up for her. Mine is actually an Intel i5-4690K at 1600)

awsome johan, I forgot about that. with my thuban being broken out of prison soon, I have some re-reading to do myself.

thanks but, thats where my question #1 enters. You see, my 965 BE multiplier is, i think, locked. idk if its because of the bios update i did but i cant seem to increase the multiplier to 17.5+, and the cpu-z shows (4-17). that's why i resorted to increasing the bus speed instead. It would have been much easier if it was the multiplier but i just can't.

thanks but, thats where my question #1 enters. You see, my 965 BE multiplier is, i think, locked. idk if its because of the bios update i did but i cant seem to increase the multiplier to 17.5+, and the cpu-z shows (4-17). that's why i resorted to increasing the bus speed instead. It would have been much easier if it was the multiplier but i just can't.

Can you do a screen shot of the Cpu-z with the motherboard tab so we can check out your bios revision. That cpu multi should be unlocked.

You NEED to check...

...check and let us know what PCB Revision of motherboard you have as described in picture from Giga website. It would also be a very g00d idea to see if your manual describes how to use F12 key to 'save' pics of the bios to a Usb stick so that you might attach them to this forum for US to see what in hale is going on in your bios miles and miles from us. Bios flashing can change what WE might see by us having to go and download YOUR mobo manual to try and help you.

x581.jpg

RGone...

...check and let us know what PCB Revision of motherboard you have as described in picture from Giga website. It would also be a very g00d idea to see if your manual describes how to use F12 key to 'save' pics of the bios to a Usb stick so that you might attach them to this forum for US to see what in hale is going on in your bios miles and miles from us. Bios flashing can change what WE might see by us having to go and download YOUR mobo manual to try and help you.

RGone...

won't the mobo tab in cpu-z show revision? Or should I rather say?

Some may but others will not, but rather may show only the rev. of chipsets used on the mobo. He has a choice of Rev 1.0 or Rev 2.0 so maybe CPUz might show one or the other and be accurate. However if looks on the mobo...well that is for sure. All I know.

RGone...

EDIT:
However if he gets us pics attached to the forum of the bios in the section for voltages and clocking...well then that is for sure what is in his bios.
END EDIT.

It's a rev 2. I actually checked Gigabyte's site for bios as I wanted to downgrade my bios(FA) back to its default bios, as it might have been the cause
why i can't exceed 17. (not sure. but before it all happened actually, i updated my bios via @BioS program from gigabyte. and after that i decided to overclock using the multiplier but i just cant) and the site only has the bios FA in it for rev2.

moboshit.jpg

btw are you trying to say that i print screen my bios? I'll do that since its uefi but idk how lol (i didnt actually get what you said, but i think you're referring to me to screenshot the bios so you can see the settings?)

EDIT: btw the f12 is for booting menu and im currently reading/checking my gigabyte user manual right now
EDIT2: nvm the f12 thing above^ yea i saw in bios that i can screenshot via f12. i'll do it now just a bit

FA is the release bios. There is no other. If you can indeed not increase the multi, send that board back or at least contact Gig and see if they'll do something for you.

I actually wanted to run using the 2nd bios but i read it somewhere that you have to hold down the power button for the system to switch to it, which in my current rig is imposible. (aerocool rs-9 devil red's power button is not your normal power button.)

and btw here's my bios setup.

I have a feeling that it might be because of the bios, cuz everytime i restart(not from fresh turned-on) the bootup fail message shows up even if i didn't change any, and i can just go to bios and save & reboot it w/o changing settings and it'll boot up fine.

and it also shows cpu speed at 0. this only shows up from a restart tho. not from turned on PC.

as you can see on my bios settings, they're all set. (im stuck at x17 multiplier) so increased the bus speed instead. and it shows at 3.99ghz but on the system info, it only shows the default clock speed which is 3.4ghz.

Last edited:
I can't increase it above 17. that boot up failure will show up BUT, i can still boot up properly with just choosing the 'enter bios' on that 3 options and going straight to save & reboot. but the problem is, even if i have my bios set up for example, at x19 multiplier, even after succesfully booting, the settings doesn't apply at all upon reaching the desktop. (idk if im making any sense but it's like this, if i set it to x17.5 multiplier for example, and i successfuly boot up to desktop, if i check cpu-z, it still shows my multiplier at default which is x17, and the cpu speed at 3.4ghz which is the stock speed. the bios settings doesnt apply at all.)

EDIT: just want to add this. altho the boot up failure DOES shows up if i overclock using the bus speed instead, if i can successfully boot and reach desktop, the speed/overclock settings DOES apply. so to make it short, if i use multiplier and succesfuly boot up to desktop, the multiplier doesn't apply and im still on stock speed. but if i overclock using the bus speed, and i boot succesfully and reach desktop, it is overclocked to the settings that i applied. so the only chance for me to overclock is using the bus speed.

uhm, thats actually what i did to increase the multiplier. (you can't edit the 'ghz' below the clock ratio btw. only the '17', which i did.) the manual mode will let you increase the '17' but if i increase it, even just up to 17.5, i'll get boot failure.

GA-970A-DS3P rev. 2.0

MIT section of bios.
CPU Clock Ratio
Allows you to alter the clock ratio for the installed CPU. The adjustable range is dependent on the CPU being installed. Highlight setting to be changed and use + or - keys to change option.

Save & Exit across top of screen right of Power Management.
Save & Exit Setup Press <Enter> on this item and select Yes. This saves the changes to the CMOS and exits the BIOS Setup program. Select No or press <Esc> to return to the BIOS Setup Main Menu.

Have seen a few giga boards that users report that F10 for save and exit bios do not work well. Try above.

If none of that works then it is time go get that wonky board back to Giga for repairs or to somebody to replace/fix.

RGone...

Back