• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question about AM2+/AM3 standard and DDR3

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

trents

Since both DDR2 and DDR3 ram have 240 pins wouldn't an AM2+ motherboard work with DDR3 ram with a bios update when using an AM3 cpu? Seems like the AM3 motherboard chipsets are the same on the AM3 boards as they were on the AM2+ boards. After all the memory controller is on the cpu anyways.

I honestly would like to know as well.. I don't exactly know what the difference with the DDR2 and 3 Ram is.. besides the speed and updated chips. But as far as I gather, the AM3 RAM sticks have tighter timings.

Last edited:
Since both DDR2 and DDR3 ram have 240 pins wouldn't an AM2+ motherboard work with DDR3 ram with a bios update when using an AM3 cpu? Seems like the AM3 motherboard chipsets are the same on the AM3 boards as they were on the AM2+ boards. After all the memory controller is on the cpu anyways.

Nope. The key cut in the memory slot is in a different location on DDR2 versus DDR3.

Won't happen.

Nope. The key cut in the memory slot is in a different location on DDR2 versus DDR3.

Won't happen.

So is that just a marketing gimmick or are there other reasons they wouldn't work with a bios update? Maybe the motherboard electronics (voltage regulators, caps, etc.) need to be stouter or something? Or maybe the motherboard manufacturers just want to make you buy new boards so they keyed the socket differently.

Back