• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question about heat

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Puter_Addict

Registered
ok, I have an FOP32-1, on my Athlon. The CPU side of the heatsink had a small pink pad, is it better to leave it on, or take it off? I have a feeling this is going to turn into a personal preference answer, but I was just curious...

Computer_Junkie (Apr 20, 2001 11:10 a.m.):
ok, I have an FOP32-1, on my Athlon. The CPU side of the heatsink had a small pink pad, is it better to leave it on, or take it off? I have a feeling this is going to turn into a personal preference answer, but I was just curious...

Actually I believe that you'll find the universal answer to be that removing the thermal pad (carefully so you dont scratch the bottom of the heat sink) and using a good thermal compound such as Arctic Silver is your best move.

No split-decision on this one. Take off the pad (carefully) and clean the bottom of the heatsink with alcohol and a q-tip. Use a good thermal compound like Arctic Silver (Radio Shack compound will also do in a pinch). Put a thin, even layer on the surface of the CPU die and you're set.

:cool:

A plastic picnic knife works well to get most of the thermal pad off without scratching the soft aluminum of the FOP. Isopropyl alcohol aka rubbing alcohol can be used to get the remainder of the "bubble gum" off the HS. But a dab of fresh thermal paste works better--as long as it's the clear stuff from Radio Shack that comes in a "pen."

Personally, I think the 26 cfm fan that comes with FOP-32's is inadequate for OC'd T-Birds. Very inadequate. I suggest buying a 42.5 cfm or more powerful 80mm case fan and tie wrapping it to the top of the FOP. This gives you cooling that's a hair less efficient than a FOP-38 --without the insult of listening to the scream of a Delta 38 cfm 60mm CPU fan.

It's easy to do!

Dont forget to sacrifice the remains of that pad you remove to the O/C gods. That is very important to getting a successful O/C.

I save mine up and once a year, I paste them all over my body. Then I dance naked around an inverted cross, covered with goats blood. Got me up to 150 FSB! Unfortunately, once the adhesive gave out and they fell off, I started falling out of Prime95 Torture and was forced to drop back to 145. ;D

Hoot

Hoot (Apr 20, 2001 02:20 p.m.):
I save mine up and once a year, I paste them all over my body. Then I dance naked around an inverted cross, covered with goats blood. Got me up to 150 FSB! Unfortunately, once the adhesive gave out and they fell off, I started falling out of Prime95 Torture and was forced to drop back to 145. ;D

Hoot

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

a little too much info

did you shave befor sticking them on? if you did next year try sticking the to the hairy unshaven parts of your body. I'd bet they would stay on longer. Maybe even until you sobered up the next morning.

Back to the subject:
no personal preference here. Thermal grease is a prerequisit to overclocking

This thread isn't about overclocking though...but glad it helped. There is also a "thanks" button that can be used instead.

Regardless... welcome and enjoy your stay!!! :)

Last edited:
i typed "how do i know if my cpu is locked" and saw that the guy has the exact cpu i have and he got the anwser i was looking for

btw how do i use the thank option?

Last edited by a moderator:
Look to the right side of the screen at the bottom of each post you should see the option to quote, multiquote ,reply and thanks

Back