• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question about my PSU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dyllan

I am thinking about upgrading a few old pieces on my PC that I still have even though I intended to do away with them almost a year ago. I am just wondering if my PSU would be able to keep up with some new items.

I currently have;
CPU - i5 4670k (Not OC but will be)
Motherboard - Asus Z87-A
GPU - MSI Gtx 580 /twin Frozr
Cooler - Hyper 212 Evo
RAM - HyperX Beast 1866 ram (2x4)
HDD/SSD - Samsung 840 Pro SSD / WD 500gb 7200 rpm
PSU - CX600M Corsair PSU
and a really cheap cooler master case.

I will likely be replacing the Hyper 212 Evo with a h100 or something else if you guys have any suggestions, I also need a new case to achieve this.

I will be buying a Gtx 780TI, only one. No SLI involved and I will also be over clocking my CPU.. I want to keep the price of the case and the cooler below 200 if thats even possible because ontop of the GPU and Cooler and case I will also be getting a 144hz Asus monitor.

So basically what im asking for is ideas if you have any for cases/coolers or even graphics cards honestly, im willing to test out a ATI card. But will my PSU be able to handle all of it?

Also consiquently I am having issues with my 212 EVO, Im getting temperatures of around 70 at peak use with it and I dont believe I should be getting temps that high. If I am wrong let me know though :p

EDIT - I am also Canadian so any sales or anything on US websites that may come up wont help me out a lot :)

Thanks in advance!

CX600 will be able to handle any single GPU and ambient temperature overclock on both the GPU and Intel CPU.

Try remounting it or working on your airflow in the case...(top/rear = exhaust, front/sides = intake)

So I dont risk maxing out my PSU on a overclocked 4670k (going to aim for 4.5ghz) and the 780 TI? and I noticed anything I try to do with the 212 Evo, its always loose when mounted. It swivels quite a bit.

As I said, it will be fine. The 780ti is a 250W card at MAX (stress test) stock. It has a 10% power limit so at MAX it can only draw 275W. The CPU is what 65W? No chance it will break 125W overclocked with ambient means. Add 50-75W for everything else...

And those values are with everything maxed out (think folding or something)... gaming won't pull close to that...

You can also look at the front page review of the 780ti and check the power numbers as well. Use known resources to gather information as well. :)

dyllan, if anything the 780ti will draw less power then the GTX 580, as ED said you're fine with the CX 600w. As far as a heatsink goes the Evo is a really good heatsink, this
really cheap cooler master case.
is more likely your issue, a heatsink can only cool as well as the ambient air within the case. Try taking the case side panel off, if the temps drop you need to get better airflow.

Yeah I know ED, I just dont trust myself putting the numbers together sometimes :p

And I love my 212 Evo, it worked wonders on my other AMD 8350, just when I put it onto my 4670k it never seemed to fit right such as the swivelling I mentioned.

And yeah I know I really need a new case badly, I bought this one because I was strapped for cash at the time and got almost everything I wanted (not the case obviously :p )

If it is moving easily, it is not mounted properly. Try adding a washer to see if you can tighten it down.

You would probably be better served spending the $100.00 or so on a case then the H100.
I have a Rosewill Blackhawk Mid tower it's a great case for the money and it comes packed with fans. Switching from an old case I had that wasn't very good with air flow, dropped my temps 10-12c across the board on the cores. That was with my I5 2500k and CM 212 +. There are other that are just as good I just listed it as an FYI.

No worries, I was pointing it out more as an FYI. A case is a personal choice, Fractal makes really nice cases. If it's big enough for your needs then I don't see any issues with it.

Back