• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question about my radiator

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Killjoy7788

Hello, I have a question regarding the mounting of my radiator to my to my fan grill. Both links are posted below. I am trying to mount my radiator to the fan grill on the side of a custom-built case, however, the fans for the radiator are tightly squeezed together and the fan grill has about a 3/8" gap in between fans. I am wondering if it is ok to simply mount the radiator with four screws in the center and leave the outer ones unattached. I am not worried about the strength (it is plenty strong) I am worried that the performance will be greatly decreased. just as a reference I am only cooling one cpu and one gpu with 2 360 radiators which i think is overkill but am not sure. Should I try and seal the open parts around the radiator to direct more air through it or not i am pretty stuck with mounting them this way as it is so i am just looking for some feedback thanks so much -joe.t
Radiator: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006097HEC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
fan grill: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA8J25343205

you should be fine while best its not 100% needed to have every screw in. Just make sure you have pressure on them some fans can squeak a little when not evenly tightened down.

you issue is that you have a standard rad fan spacing and a fan grill that is not designed particularly for rad mounting. But more for just having 3 fans on it. You can look at PPCS site and find fan grills that are designed for rad spacing or mod yours by elongating the holes some.

You could drill new holes or use zip ties where the holes don't line up. But, Honestly I would not use that fan grille. Or if I did, I'd cut the holes out clean. All that does is block air movement or rather decrease flow somewhat (by 20% or whatever area is covered by that metal mesh).

ok thanks a ton guys, unfortunately, i already cut out the holes for the grills before i checked if the radiator fit (dumb mistake) so i would like to us the one that @Nebulous suggests that would fix my problem but that grill wont fit in the desk. and i thought about doing that @batboy but i dont want to damage the radiator or risk doing so. Thanks allot @S.I.N that is encouraging. one more thing do you guys think that using some sort of atv sealer would help reduce the percent loss of flow. BTW the grill is the mount for the radiator its on the side of the case

just use clear silicone caulk to seal the gaps. if you smooth it out with your finger it will look good and seal really well. it is messy to work with tho.

Back