• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

question about overclocking and mobo safety

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

monsieurpooh

Currently I have a Biostar A770e3 I bought a long time ago that was rated as 95w. However, as you can see here:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite... (second to last review)
http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/mb/introduction.php?S_... (supports 125w cpu's)
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/299574-30-help-biosta...

The motherboard now supports 125w cpu's with absolutely no change to the model, only a BIOS update!

I would like to overclock a AMD Phenom x945 3.0 GHZ to maybe 3.6 or so Ghz. I am wondering if the BIOS update would actually increase the safety of overclocking a 95w CPU, or does it simply allow the motherboard to accept 125W CPU's?

In other words, Is this motherboard safe to run a overclocked 95W (therefore higher than 95W) CPU WITHOUT the BIOS update? Or can a BIOS update magically make a mobo able to handle higher wattage more safely?

If the latter is true then can anyone point me to the correct BIOS update, because I can't find it (I can only find BIOS updates in 2010 which I'm pretty sure occurred before this revision)

Welcome to the Forum Monsieurpooh
A BIOS up date will not give the Mobo more power. This is just software which will allow it to run a wider range of Memory and CPU's. As new CPU's are released bios needs to be updated so you get a "proper set-up" and the Mobo will recognize what processor is in it.
Now that being said the Biostar board is very underpowered. Looks like a 3+1 phase on it with no heatsinks. I'm certain it would run that CPU. Just not as sure on how well it would OC. You would probably get some throttling as you pushed it.

Since that cpu does n0t have an unlocked ^ upward multiplier it would take raising the FSB to 240 to reach 3.6Ghz on the cpu. That usually requires a bios that is pretty adjustable to lower the ram speed, the HT Link speed and the CPU_NB speed so that 240 FSB has not overclocked the other three speeds too far for stability.
RGone...

Since that cpu does n0t have an unlocked ^ upward multiplier it would take raising the FSB to 240 to reach 3.6Ghz on the cpu. That usually requires a bios that is pretty adjustable to lower the ram speed, the HT Link speed and the CPU_NB speed so that 240 FSB has not overclocked the other three speeds too far for stability.
RGone...

I thought to increase system stability you just need to increase the voltage (which will heighten cooling demands)? And if TDP scales with overclocking linearly, then overclocking 20% will scale TDP 95w*1.20 = 114 which is still below 125 Watts, so shouldn't it be okay for the motherboard? And shouldn't it also still be okay for the cooler I'm going to buy which is rated at TDP 180W?

1. You copied what I had posted earlier but what I was writing about only had to do with how well the bios was adjustable for each of the other 3 speeds that have to be kept in check with an overclock only doable by rasing the FSB, since the 945 cpu does not have an unlocked upward multiplier.

2. I would hardly imagine that TDP scales linearly since the amount of Vcore has to be adjusted upward more so at what seem to be steps in upping the cpu speed. By that I mean just about everyone of us can report that we had to add X Vcore to get to 3.8Ghz but to get to 4.0Ghz we had to add even more than we did to get stable at 3.8Ghz. So those appear to most of us as 'steps' or maybe a wall that has to be jumped over to go faster.

3. Cpu Coolers by name/model mean far more to most of us in here since we have seen a few and know them by results and not a rating given by some manufacturer.
RGone...

1. You copied what I had posted earlier but what I was writing about only had to do with how well the bios was adjustable for each of the other 3 speeds that have to be kept in check with an overclock only doable by rasing the FSB, since the 945 cpu does not have an unlocked upward multiplier.

2. I would hardly imagine that TDP scales linearly since the amount of Vcore has to be adjusted upward more so at what seem to be steps in upping the cpu speed. By that I mean just about everyone of us can report that we had to add X Vcore to get to 3.8Ghz but to get to 4.0Ghz we had to add even more than we did to get stable at 3.8Ghz. So those appear to most of us as 'steps' or maybe a wall that has to be jumped over to go faster.

3. Cpu Coolers by name/model mean far more to most of us in here since we have seen a few and know them by results and not a rating given by some manufacturer.
RGone...

The cooler is coolermaster 212 plus. It seems like it will handle it well. I'm worried about the motherboard (Biostar A770e3) rather than the cooler. I researched and decided I need to install heatsinks on the mosfets. And that should make it safe to overclock on the motherboard. Do I also need to install heatsinks on the larger "chokes" of the mosfets?

That is a 3 phase power board. Overclocking on it, regardless of putting sinks on the 'fets is not a good idea. I mean cooling the fets is a great idea, but that board just isnt made to overclock like that I am afraid.

That is a 3 phase power board. Overclocking on it, regardless of putting sinks on the 'fets is not a good idea. I mean cooling the fets is a great idea, but that board just isnt made to overclock like that I am afraid.

Okay thanks, in that case I have two questions:

1. The manufacturer revised their TDP from 95 to 125 watt (same model, updated BIOS). I didn't update the BIOS but I don't think that changes the safety or anything, just makes it compatible. Wouldn't overclocking at 95w CPU be okay, because it would probably go to about 125w?

2. I thought that as far as mobo is concerned, the only risk of overclocking is Mosfet damage. What exactly are the other motherboard-related risks of overclocking if the Mosfets are being cooled?

Here are your two latest questions.
1. The manufacturer revised their TDP from 95 to 125 watt (same model, updated BIOS). I didn't update the BIOS but I don't think that changes the safety or anything, just makes it compatible. Wouldn't overclocking at 95w CPU be okay, because it would probably go to about 125w? = A. None of us really suggested overclocking that motherboard at all. The parts are yours. Do with them as you see fit. It is totally unnecesary for us to okay your overclock of your own parts and pieces. Go for it.

2. I thought that as far as mobo is concerned, the only risk of overclocking is Mosfet damage. What exactly are the other motherboard-related risks of overclocking if the Mosfets are being cooled? = No one can predict how any board will fail, nor what will be taken out with a failure. A blown mosfet can take out the cpu and depending on how the failure occurs, it could perhaps take out the ram as well. No one can say what may short when the VRM circuit fails. A short can be deadly in more than one location on the PCB.

Cool the mosfets if you wish and overclock it like you wish. See what happens. Maybe nothing. Maybe something. All we have done is give our best guesstimation of what we would do. I have personally never overclocked an under-manned VRM circuit. It might be fun. Give it a go. It is nothing but parts anyway, unless it catches on fire as a few were doing with under-manned VRMs on some MSI boards.

I did have a bud of mine pushing his board a few years ago and a mosfet failed and luckily he was at home with P95 Blend running since he said he smelled the magic smoke and looked and the inside of his case was in flames. He has never again thought to just let P95 Blend run un-attended.

RGone...:bang head:bump:

Here are your two latest questions.
1. The manufacturer revised their TDP from 95 to 125 watt (same model, updated BIOS). I didn't update the BIOS but I don't think that changes the safety or anything, just makes it compatible. Wouldn't overclocking at 95w CPU be okay, because it would probably go to about 125w? = A. None of us really suggested overclocking that motherboard at all. The parts are yours. Do with them as you see fit. It is totally unnecesary for us to okay your overclock of your own parts and pieces. Go for it.

2. I thought that as far as mobo is concerned, the only risk of overclocking is Mosfet damage. What exactly are the other motherboard-related risks of overclocking if the Mosfets are being cooled? = No one can predict how any board will fail, nor what will be taken out with a failure. A blown mosfet can take out the cpu and depending on how the failure occurs, it could perhaps take ouit the ram as well. No one can say what may short when the VRM circuit fails. A short can be deadly in more than one location on the PCB.

Cool the mosfets if you wish and overclock it like you wish. See what happens. Maybe nothing. Maybe something. All we have done is give our best guesstimation of what we would do. I have personally never overclocked an under-manned VRM circuit. It might be fun. Give it a go. It is nothing but parts anyway, unless it catches on fire as a few were doing with under-manned VRMs on some MSI boards.

I did have a bud of mine pushing his board a few years ago and a mosfet failed and luckily he was at home with P95 Blend running since he said he smelled the magic smoke and looked and the inside of his case was in flames. He has never again thought to just let P95 Blend run un-attended.

RGone...:bang head:bump:
exactly.... Again. :)

Back