• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Question about RAM - Revised

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dizzy Strife

Registered
Ok I am completely changing my original question. For the purposes stated below, what timings would I want to go with? Is 8gb enough or should I go for 16gb? Which brands would you recommend for the purposes stated below.

I plan on gaming, recording game play, rendering videos for YouTube, occasional streaming of games on Twitch.tv, watching movies online, and just general surfing of the web and e-mail.

Games I generally play. D1, D2 and D3, WoW (on occasion) CoD Black Ops, Minecraft, Deus Ex Human Revolution, Batman Arkham Asylum, Fallout 3, League of Legends (still learning that one), EVE Online (occasionally), Starcraft 2 and a few other games off and on that are generally older games. I do in the future want to play Hawken and MechWarrior Online and possibly other newer games.

With these games in mind, as well as the other things I plan on using my new machine for, can you guys answer the questions above for me?

Most likely, these will be run in an ASRock Z77 Extreme4 or an Asus P8Z77-v Deluxe board (still debating the MB) with an i7-3770k CPU.

If any other info is needed, just ask, I'll be here all day. Thanks in advance for any help/advice/suggestions.

Last edited:
8GB should be fine for what you'll be doing but with ram prices as low as they are these days 16GB couldn't hurt. far as timings go any will be fine and you would see little to no improvement in any games/rendering.

i would go with Corsair or Gskill i prefer corsair myself as they bought my loyalty when they replaced some 10 year old ddr1 ram i had sitting in a draw dead for me with some new DDR3 free of charge,anyone with that kind of support for there products have my loyalty these days.

8GB should be fine for what you'll be doing but with ram prices as low as they are these days 16GB couldn't hurt. far as timings go any will be fine and you would see little to no improvement in any games/rendering.

i would go with Corsair or Gskill i prefer corsair myself as they bought my loyalty when they replaced some 10 year old ddr1 ram i had sitting in a draw dead for me with some new DDR3 free of charge,anyone with that kind of support for there products have my loyalty these days.

I have only heard good things about everything Corsair, so I figured that would be one response. I might even be getting a Corsair Keyboard if I get good answers to my keyboard questions in the general forum. Lol.

I only asked about brands because right now, both of the motherboards I am looking at come with a free 8gb kit of GeIL EVO Veloce RAM. I was debating if I wanted to use those or buy some Corsair. I suppose in the end, it will come down to the end cost of everything. I would rather skimp and get 8gb or even use the free ones if the deal is still going and put more money elsewhere as long as 8gb is enough for what I am doing.

yea 8 GB should be fine for anything your doing, you could always get another 2x4 GB kit later as an upgrade.

yea 8 GB should be fine for anything your doing, you could always get another 2x4 GB kit later as an upgrade.

That is what I was thinking, I can always upgrade later. I'm just trying to stay cost efficient right now because the less I spend on my new rig now, the more I can spoil my kids for christmas. Lol. After doing some reading on this site, I have cut my project from abut 1200 to just under 1000 with next day shipping even, but still getting a beast of a rig.

Thanks for your input. I haven't built a rig in like 10 years and right now I am just using an HP I got from Wal-mart like 5 years ago I think with a few upgrades to it, so I am excited to build a new rig.

good luck with your new rig " just using an HP I got from Wal-mart like 5 years ago" :shock:

yea i have a few friends who have HP's they seem to run ok(just slow as death) there just a nightmare to try to do anything with and near imposable to overclock,i would be bumming if i had to use one:)~ but better then no pc for sure.

yea i have a few friends who have HP's they seem to run ok(just slow as death) there just a nightmare to try to do anything with and near imposable to overclock,i would be bumming if i had to use one:)~ but better then no pc for sure.

Well the one I have was easily upgraded. I added a new PSU, a better CPU cooler and a couple video cards over the years. My first experience with OC'ing was buying a video card that was already OC'd and came with software that lets me OC by just sliding some bars. Lol. It's an Asus Radeon HD 7750. It will be going into my new rig for now. I will upgrade it at a later date. Ive never been much into the idea of OC'ing until now and I still don't feel comfortable doing it. If I do end up doing it, I will probably only OC my new rig up to 4ghz even though I have seen people go quite a bit higher on the i5-3570K that I am getting.

most newer CPU's are pretty overclock friendly specially if you buy one that is unlocked,
the reason "boxed" pc's are not OC friendly is they have there bios locked and only let you change/control a very limited amount=)

most newer CPU's are pretty overclock friendly specially if you buy one that is unlocked,
the reason "boxed" pc's are not OC friendly is they have there bios locked and only let you change/control a very limited amount=)

Well even a very limited amount is more than I thought possible with a "boxed" PC. I thought you could not change/control any amount of OC'ing. Lol.

didnt really mean you could OC through bios at all heck i dont even think you can change ram timings on most but there are some OC programs that will let you overclock a little using software in windows,just not really worth the trouble in my book.

didnt really mean you could OC through bios at all heck i dont even think you can change ram timings on most but there are some OC programs that will let you overclock a little using software in windows,just not really worth the trouble in my book.

Oh I see. So I wasn't really wrong then. Lol.

Back