• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question about running system file checker

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

trents

For Windows 8 and later, Microsoft recommends restoring image health before running system file checker.

The elevated command prompt syntax for restoring image health is: dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth and the system file checker syntax is: sfc /scannow

My question is, is it necessary to run them both in the same powershell session? To put it another way, can you run the image restore health command, close powershell,and run sfc /scannow in another session?

Ive been able to run them in different sessions. ill usually run restorehealth if the scannow was unable to repair some files, then the sfc scan will complete successfully and im 90% sure ive done it a few times in a different session.

I provide technology support to a private k-10 school. Last night I executed the command for restoring the image health on all the classroom computers using my administrator account. As you know, this process can take some time so I went home thinking I would do the file system check on all these computers the next day (today). I was operating on the mistaken assumption that there was no school today so the students and teachers have been using the computers and interrupted my plan. I was wondering if I would have to start over from scratch if they signed me out.

Back