• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question about tubing sizes and fittings.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

beginnersluck2

Hi all, I know by now there is an article similar to this, but I wanted to know asap. I am new to custom loops and I had an issue with tubing and fitting sizes. All my other items have G1/4 fittings. So, my question is, if I go with Petg hard tubing, what size fittings will I need (g1/4, 5/8) and what type of fittings? (male to female) etc? What I mean by this is, what exact fittings will I need to connect to the Petg hard tubes? I have no clue since there are many different sizes. Thanks for your help and sorry this article has to exist, but I needed to know before I made the actual buy. Oh and what is the best coolant in your opinion? Thanks all!

the g1/4 refers to the size of the connector on the barb the part with screw threads. that is the standard now so ignore the 5/8. the size of the tubing and connectors depends on what size you want to go with. i will use my own loop as an example. i used 1/2 x 3/4 hose. the 1/2 =inside hose diameter, the 3/4 =outside hose diameter. so i had to buy correlating fittings =1/2 x 3/4inch fittings.

Ah, so I have to get the fittings for the g1/4. My question is, what is it? Is it based on the tube and fittings? I'm sorry, I am just confused atm.

It is a 1/4 inch opening with a specific thread .

Please Please do a bunch of reading and watching videos before you jump @ ordering anything .
and please post here when you come up with a list of parts before you oder so some one can go over it .

If you stick with every thing that has g1/4 you will be fine . 5/8 is pretty much gone most new stuff all uses g1/4 .

For the PEG tubing I would suggest getting the PEG from the same company as the fittings .

PLEASE get tube and fittings of the same manufacturer if you are going to go with hard tubing, PLEASE buy a complete kit if the manufacturer offers one, all the correct tools and parts.
if soft tube, g1/4 refers to the threads on the fittings and in the blocks.
I use all 3/8 soft tube so my barb fittings are described as g1/4x3/8 my tube is described as 3/8x1/2, I use thin wall tube.
if I used thick wall it would be 3/8x5/8, with tube the first numbers refer to the inside diameter and the second the outside diameter.
and yes, read, read, and read some more, ask questions, lots of questions, we have never heard a stupid question here, a few stupid answers, buuuuuut, what can you expect.

Back