• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[QUESTION] DARK ROCK PRO 3 works well with mATX mobo?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ITAngel

Hey guys, I been looking at this CPU cooler, I may end up selling my Noctua NH-D15 to grab this instead. I want to see if it will block or not block the first PCIE slot so I can move my graphic card to the first one. Anyone running this cooler?

So you want a worse cooler that's roughly the same size ? Don't understand the concept...

If you want something that isn't going to cover the first slot you'll most likely need a cooler that uses a 92mm fan.

Also +1 to what Kenrou said.

I just need a cooler that will allow me to use PCIE 1 that is air without needing to go AIO. The options of AIO are much easier to work with and of course system will look nicer while still having performance like those Predator 360 and the new EVGA quick release AIO. etc...

My CPU can OC to 4.6Ghz easily but I keep it down to 4.2Ghz just fine, so if I have to lose some performance in a cooler just to keep sound down and able to use pcie 1 then that will be just fine with me.

You can try the Noctua NH-D14, it won't block the PCI-E but you have to slot the ram before the block. You will ofc have to worry about slightly higher temps :)

You can try the Noctua NH-D14, it won't block the PCI-E but you have to slot the ram before the block. You will ofc have to worry about higher temps :)

I use to have a D14 and never had temps issues with it running a FX-8350 at the time which they can be just as bad when overclocked than the 5820k. However; I though the only differences was that they cut the front fins to allow you to fix rams that were a bit of a higher profile? I though performance were pretty close to each other? Is been a while so I am not sure, I maybe be able to get a D14 if it will allow me to use that PCIE slot 1.

Honestly I would love to have a AIO but I am so paranoid about leaks. hahaha

One other option i was thinking was replacing my motherboard back to a full EATX type then all problems are solved. XD

Last edited:
I still don't see why you're bothering with changing it... how much benefit will you actually get from changing the slot your GPU is in?

the D15 is a few degrees better than the D14 and slightly bigger, also either one is significantly quieter than any AIO currently in the market as far as i've seen. The D14 doesn't have the cut fins if memory serves.

http://noctua.at/en/products/cpu-cooler-retail/nh-d14.html

http://noctua.at/en/products/cpu-cooler-retail/nh-d15.html

Thanks, I checked and will do the same as the D15. "The cooler is extending over the first PCI-E x16 slot, so please use the other available PCI-E slot(s)." I may look into upgrading my motherboard but will think it over the best and most location way to make everything work right for me. I could easily drop an H100i but they are a lot louder and don't want to adventure that route just yet. So will see which route makes the most logical option to go with. Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

I still don't see why you're bothering with changing it... how much benefit will you actually get from changing the slot your GPU is in?

I have a few limitations for example, amount of fans I can run, USB options, and I may consider installing a second graphic card later on when DX12 become available. Since running dual GPU will be nice under Windows 10 but a combination of SLI or SLI/CROSS GPUS will provide more performance. Anyways it just that my mATX feels way to cramp and i want to some for other stuff. I can't even install an Audio card right now. XD

If you're serious about changing the motherboard keep the Noctua (easily a match for most high end AIO's), your ears will thank you :)

If you're serious about changing the motherboard keep the Noctua (easily a match for most high end AIO's), your ears will thank you :)

Oh yea that is the idea, keeping it and then I am set with cooling because honestly I do like it a lot. Is just that this micro motherboard even though is really nice I think that is not as nice for this kind of cooler and future setup. Not only is limited but it makes it even more limited with the ability to add a audio card or a second gpu or both. Also like how quite the system is with the Noctua, and GPU when it shuts down the fans which is pretty cool stuff. I need the quietness for audio recording. I almost feel like I should had gone with a case that was quieter, noise reduction but oh well I was limited with the funding.

This is what my system looks right now I still have to clean the cables a bit more but will be soon when I add another hard drive.
PC_X99_GTX970.jpg

Sounds like your real problem is that you don't like your motherboard. I'd probably do something about that before I got rid of a good quality air cooler.

Or bite the bullet and get an aio which would probably be cheaper

Sounds like your real problem is that you don't like your motherboard. I'd probably do something about that before I got rid of a good quality air cooler.

Or bite the bullet and get an aio which would probably be cheaper

Well honestly is not bad, when I had the H100i GTX it looks amazing, and had all the slots to install anything. You are right the cheaper route would be to install a AIO but I freak out due to stories about leaks on those units even though it is uncommon. So, in order to keep my Noctua cooler, and do SLI or Audio Card and GPU. I have to get the room to install them.

To answer ATMISIDE, I do love audio and am pretty picky about it. Having a gaming audio card will be way better than this on-board audio chip on this motherboard. Not only that, If I ever decide to sell of my USB audio interface, I may install an internal professional audio card for my music recording. I want to feel like I can actually am able to do that without any issues. This is my first motherboard that is mATX that I got part of a trade brand new. So I don't have experience with anything smaller than a ATX and normally I have EATX motherboards. XD The one on my old wife PC is a mATX z87 which is also part of the deal with a friend. But Now she has a laptop and it will be up for sale soon. I am trying to find a way to make all of this works were I am happy with my setup. I am now more than I did before but still I wish I had more room on the board or that my cooler was smaller.

I think the only time my system actually looks good, and match plus gave me everything I needed was when I had the H100i GTX but I freaked out that I would find my system with a leak and then everything go down from there. So I kept my Noctua and return the H100i.

I also wish Noctua made black fans because this color crashes with my system. XD

Why don't you use optical with a DAC? Then the sound card quality doesn't matter.

They do? I better look and see. I like the black and metallic look like the motherboard plus the graphic card etc...

Which one are the one needed to replace the fans on the cooler? I am sure they would be like $40 to get two new fans huh?

To answer your question about the DAC, doesn't game chip-set use a special engine to emulate better games effects? I know professional audio recording dosen't is pure audio which is fine when I am working with vocals, guitars etc...

Update, I meay attemp to use this since i have one. EAR FORCE DSS2.

I also own for audio recording Focurite Scarlett 2i2 USB interface.

Last edited:
I am thinking I may wait EVGA has some impressive stuff coming out a case, cpu cooler, and audio card. XD I just came across a website that shows them. XD

I totally want this cooler

DSC_0057_w_600.jpg

Last edited:
I'm sure the cooler will be a rebranded part from another manufacturer (ekwb?), probably with a 50% mark up.

Back