• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Question GSkill Ripjaws 1600mhz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gh0sT-NoVa

Helping out my friend here , his using a Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z/Gen3 Mobo

G.SKILL [ RipjawsX ] F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL / 8GB (4GB x 2) / 1600Mhz #

http://www.lelong.com.my/g-skill-ri...1600mhz-lingloong-K909103B-2007-01-Sale-I.htm

So i went on check for him , i notice on GSkill website there are a list of "QUALIFIED MOBO" for this RAM and his Mobo isn't in it. So i was wondering can his Mobo actually use this ?

His running on a I7 (forgot exact model) , LGA1155 socket , 2nd generation.

Also one more thing , his using a Cooler Master V6 CPU Cooler. He worry that the RAM's cooling FIN will not able to fit due to the cooler ,what you guys think ? Anyone got measurement for this RAM total height ?

QVL lists aren't usually kept up to date and such. The RAM will 99.99% probably work fine. The QVL list just makes that 100%.

Hi,
Yes the ram should be fine in that board. I imagine that model has appeared since GSkill last updated the list...
If he was planning to fill all four slots, there may be a space issue. As he's only using two, it should be OK. My Thermaltake Frio covers my first slot, but luckily the rubber fan mount things stretch enough to allow me to rest the fan on top of the ram.
Using the 2nd and 4th slots, you should just get away with it, I reckon.

Yeah his going to use all 4 slots zz and that V6 cooler its freaking huge !

Can he use only 3 X ? Its bit weird for RAM setup but if its no problem i think i tell him to use 3X

You'll be stuck in flex mode than, less optimal than dual channel model.

I built a 1156 box a while back with an ASUS ROG board and a V6GT. Couldn't fit a normal Ripjaws stick (this was pre RipjawsX) in the first slot.

Not sure what you mean by Ares and Sniper- I googled both and guess you mean different cases. If so, no, the case makes no difference. If you don't mean that, then my apologies!

He could always sell on the V6 and try one of the enclosed water coolers, such as the Antec or Corsair models. These have a small block that attaches to the CPU, which causes no problem at all with ram slots.

It's quite a big design problem, in my opinion, that cpu coolers interfere with ram sockets- it's something that should never have happened really. But that's the way it is...

Last edited:
*EDIT*
Ah, no, I see Ares and Sniper are other GSkill ram modules.

The Sniper are big ones- I doubt they'd fit either.
The Ares are low profile modules designed for large coolers- you may well be OK with the Ares!

lol ok , tks guys i will tell him then =)

LoL water cooling , he dont know a thing about PC to start with thats why been asking me alot , i mean im bad , his alot worst.

For water cooling you have to maintain etc lol , bad things will happen if he uses water cooling = =

Unless he go for the Corsair's H60 and H80 right ? Those maintainance free ?

Also lets consider this case closed , tks !

Sorted.
And yes, the H60/H80 are fully enclosed, and a bit more idiot-proof than custom watercooling stuff!

Cheers Ghost!

LOL ! " Idiot Proof " Amen !

I be honest guys at first i thinking OC Club Forum , you guys all must be Experts / Pros wont even mind teaching / talking to a PC noob like me =)

Surprisingly you guys are friendly and nice =)

CHEERS !

Sure there are a fair few pros on here, but I'm kinda self-taught, and I don't work in IT, it's just a hobby.
I'm certainly not an expert, I'm still learning all the time. And everyone is a noob to start with...
Most of the folk are on here because they like to help and be helped.

All the best
Jon

Back