• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

question on doing external bootable windows os without internal hard drive

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

baddagger

Hello all, i have a question on doing an external bootable win7 hard drive, but dont know if my current setup will allow it and needed some input if possible,

my current setup is a Asus republic of gamer laptop that DOES NOT have a working internal hard drive (broke on me). I have a 1tb hard drive that was originally a internal hard drive that i just put into a external case that has a usb 3.0 connection.

From what i have looked into this most of the how to guids only show how to do it from the perspective of when a user has a computer that has a installed os on a internal hard drive and doing an install to the external, so that process i can not do obviously.

So is there a way to do a fresh install on my laptop directly to the external hard drive?

As far as I know, there was no ability to boot from an external drive with Windows 7. I do know you could do it with Windows 8 and I have.

Back