• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question on ECC memory for AM3+ cpu's and 990 chipset

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The CPU does after a quick trip to Google. Does the board?

Edit: nope -http://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/SABERTOOTH_990FX_R20/specifications/

I read somewhere that the memory had to be unbuffered. Can't believe everything you read on the internet. So I figured I would ask the pro's here and eliminate any potential headaches. I see the Sabertooth doesn't. I think my GA-990FXA-UD3 R4 does.

I cannot compare. I've never tried a R2 board. My R1 board was a little glitchy according to the previous owner. A little bios modding seems to have remedied that. I'm satisfied with it.

You can use ECC memory with AM2+/AM3 opteron 1389 processors based off the Phenom II technology.

I cannot compare. I've never tried a R2 board. My R1 board was a little glitchy according to the previous owner. A little bios modding seems to have remedied that. I'm satisfied with it.

Oh! No it wasn't glitchy.... it was cold bugged. DICE was a NO GO. LN2 was a NO GO. My only issue there. Other than that, the Rev 1.0 "could" be a good board for air or liquid. It just didn't do what I needed it to do.

Oh! No it wasn't glitchy.... it was cold bugged. DICE was a NO GO. LN2 was a NO GO. My only issue there. Other than that, the Rev 1.0 "could" be a good board for air or liquid. It just didn't do what I needed it to do.
Couldn't remember what the reason was. ;)

Soon.
Chiller is only good to around -10 or so.

Yea that one would post with a TEC if I had a decent enough load. Thinking it was -30s or so. I can't remember exactly to be honest, but HEY! If you got it working, good on you mate!

Back