• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question on purchasing 2nd hand NIB Ryzen CPU's

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

i6pwr

For all the Ryzen CPU's now avail on auction sites and CL, being NIB, would the new owner be able to utilize the warranty? I know the warranty is not transferable, but does that apply to the one who first used the item or bought it?

That usually depends on the item, sometimes the manufacturer wants a receipt other times not. Corsair gave me a really hard time over some RAM, they ended up replacing it but didn't warranty the replacement set which I thought was odd. Any dealings I have had with AMD they go by the SN# of the CPU and have never asked for proof of purchase. That being said the last RMA I had with them was an FM2 CPU so it was a couple of years ago.
With the second-hand BNIB, I'd be more concerned about getting scammed and definitely wouldn't buy anything from Asia and the area.

Thanks, this CPU would be a local purchase and one in particular would have a receipt from Amazon with it being sold by Amazon, not a 3rd party.

With Amazon you have 30 days to return things anyway. By that time you should know whether they are legit or not. I would also capture a screenie of the ad that says they are NIB for future reference should you need to deal with AMD someday.

With Amazon you have 30 days to return things anyway. By that time you should know whether they are legit or not. I would also capture a screenie of the ad that says they are NIB for future reference should you need to deal with AMD someday.

Upon some searching, AMD does not warranty the CPU's to 2nd hand purchasers, despite being sealed/NIB, even as a gift.

Amazon will have the sellers name on the invoice, warranty only applies to original purchaser. I was able to pick up a 5600 at MC last week, they even took my info for warranty.

Back