• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Questions on Mobo//memory with Ryzen 5 2600x new Build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cctek

Registered
Hope Im in the right section....Need advice
This is my third build...I need a refresher. I have Ryzen 5 2600x and have not yet decided what I want for a mobo/mem. I also want to run OS on m2 possible two m2's. Definately want X470 Chipset, Im not big on onboard GPU. So I will purchase Card.. My Questions are...What would be the general consensus as to what I would need for Online gaming/ editing/ general heavy use
Mobo/Mem/and SSD, either M2's ...ALready have PSU, New Phanteks Enthoo Pro Full Tower Chassis with Window. Im not a heavy OC'r .... Any help would be great... My last ASUS ...was ok running AMD Black, Have corsair water cooling that may be ok..or I could use the spire..since I have enough room for 2 mobos...
.This is what Ive been looking at... Want to keep the mobo under 200
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz C15
ASUS Prime X470-Pro AMD
MSI Performance Gaming AMD X470
ASROCK AMD X470 Chip Set ATX Motherboard X470 Gaming K4

Help with what you can...
What X470 Mobo, Mem, & M2's or SSD and spinner??? I dont care about lights or wifi..And what would be the most compatable m2 to run OS on depending on mobo picked

Thanks ahead of time

help make us clear please.
m.2 ssd.
sata m.2 or pcie m.2?

if you are editing video, A samsung pro pcie, nvme is the way to go for a scratch drive, if not any pcie,nvme drive will do, but only expect to see anything at boot time, that is if you want a pcie/nvme drive, otherwise a sata m.2 or a standard, 2.5 sata drive will be about the same. others will chime in on this.
with ryzen, I understand you want memory sticks with samsung "B" die, as fast and as tight timings as you can get, others will chime in on this also.

Can you be more specific about "editing/general heavy use"?

Since you intend to use some existing components such as cooler and PSU, can you list your current components with some detail? Please create a Signature to do this so that this info travels with every post you make. Make Sig by going to your Settiings>Edit Signature. You can look at mine if you want guidance as to what we are looking for insofar as component info.

What is your budget?

I’m using a MSI X470 gaming pro with a Ryzen 2600x as well. I had a few problems getting it up and running which eventually seems to be related to the RAM.

I would advise to check the manufacturer websites for compatibility on the RAM and mobo. When I was looking before Christmas MSI didn’t even list any compatible RAM on the gaming pro support pages on their website for Pinnacle Ridge CPUs.

Up and running now but quite a bit of hair pulling to get there and I’m still not entirely sure what was causing the issues I had.

Thx all for your replys

Thx everyone for the replys.. Thx caddie daddi for the great input... Trents I see you've found your way , Me ? P&W leader.. Basically I want to get to doing some Music recording/editing on my PC ... I am a 1st person shooter. Used to be with MassTactical way back Aka Reddog aka LaKota.. Took to much time ..Loved it though.. Getting back in. Looking for a system that will handle decent recording/editing, Gaming, and just chillin most of the day. I have a Ryzen 5 2600X, Full Jacket with the Phanteks Enthoo Pro Full Tower, PSU 850 Bronze, 500gb SSD samsung 850.. Razor KB and MS, May be looking for a curve monitor...Have 24" ASUS..My immediate needs are 1, what mobo will be more compatable with my Ryzen 5 2600x. 2, What is the best mem for whatever mobo I get. 3, Want to use M2, for OS, 4, X470 chip set..... and possible corsair veng 15 might be decent for the pocket..We will leave the GPU out of this for now. Looking for mobo under $200, same for Mem..Then we can go from there.so maybe $600ish for the Mobo, Mem, M2 I haven't done a build in 4+ years or so. Like I said Im not wild about all the lights and useless stuff. I need M2 slots that will run an OS...and maybe use the Samsung ssd for storage although not to dependable I understand. I find that Asus are good and I am partial to MSI( or used to be) I did a asrock as one of my first builds..they have up'd the game a bit. Hopefully I am not coming across as cocky...dont mean to.. I am hoping ya'll can help me with this build... :) Thx so much for not only getting to me fast but giving some great advice and your help all.. Scottiedogg, I think the MSI X470 should maybe have corsair Veng. 2 banks 3000 ---15.. I may be wrong but that was one that I was looking at...

ccek, can you put that system info in a Signature please? That way it will travel with every post you make and be a great help to those helping you as a ready reference. Instructions in my first post.

Personally, I would go with Asus or ASRock for the motherboard.

Ok Got it, I am also looking for mem samsung B-die ..Need speed.. where should I post all of this Trents

Need advice on Mobo x470 for Ryzen 5 2600x as well as Samsung B die memory

Hi, New guy on forum. I need advice as to which mobo to purchase along with compatible memory (Samsung B die pref.something fast) Also what Memory should I use M2 or M2 and spinner? I will be gaming, Music reco9rding/editing (possible) all around workhorse that can do whatever I want or need to do.. I have a Ryzen 5 2600X, Full Jacket with the Phanteks Enthoo Pro Full Tower, PSU 850 Bronze, 500gb SSD Samsung 850.. Razor KB and MS, May be looking for a curve monitor...Have 24" ASUS..My immediate needs are 1, what mobo will be more compatible with my Ryzen 5 2600x. 2, what is the best mem for whatever mobo is suggested. 3, Want to use M2, (possible 2 M2sticks) for OS, 4, X470 chip set....We will leave the GPU out of this for now. Looking for mobo under $200, same for Mem..Then we can go from there.so maybe $600ish for the Mobo, Mem, M2 I haven't done a build in 4+ years or so. So I am stuck using the build I have for now..Like I said I’m not wild about all the lights and useless stuff. I need M2 slots that will run an OS...and maybe use the Samsung ssd for storage although not to dependable I understand. I find that Asus are good and I am partial to MSI (or used to be) I did an Asrock as one of my first builds. They have up'd the game a bit. Any advice would be very helpful.. What I need is suggestions on Parts, i.e...mobo, mem. gpu. That would all get along together..
Thx ahead of time

Are you planning to overclock the CPU? Really, most any X470 motherboard will do what you need. Asus and ASRock seem to be the most popular brands around here. NewEgg has a sale right now on Team Samsung B die 3200 memory and it gets excellent reviews by people with Ryzen systems. GSkill is the most popular brand of RAM around here. The Samsung B memory will have a CL of 14 at 3200 mhz. 3200 mhz is the sweet spot.

When you say m.2 do you mean SATA or NVME?

I guess what I am trying to do is run with the m2 which if I dont want cables it would be NVME ...This part I am a noob at. What would you suggest. Use sata ssd or the m2 sticks on board... Use one for OS the other for storage. I already have external sata ssd fresh... ?? What would be your opinion... Its not like Im going to run out of space with the full tower..Ha! What is the general less problem asus board that I can use Gskill Ram CL 14 3200mhz Actually I have a very good relationship with the guys at gskill ..they did help me put together a sweet build a while ago..Anyways...Ive use Gigabyte, Asus, ASrock and MSI before... I want a no onboard graphics, Dont need the lights, need a basic stable x470 board that will be compatible with that gskill you mentioned and then I should be on my way to getting it done.Im very . The only issue I may need help on is the propor way to (if its possible) put OS on either an NVME M2 stick ...most likely 500GB to 1TB and use the sata ssd for storage Or just use the NVME m2 for everything.. and use external spinner...what do you think..??That I have not done yet

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

Not planning to OC cpu ...maybe at a later time..looking for more stability with matching componants to do that for me...If I need more speed then down the road I will most likekly OC...but at this point not really important

Motherboard recommendations in your price range:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813119100

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157833

Just to make sure you realize this. The m.2 form factor comes in both SATA and NVME. NVME is more expensive and will give faster boot times. Once in Windows you will see hardly any difference between the two, however. SATA in the 2.5" format performs the same as SATA in the m.2 format. The thing to realize is that if you when you use m.2 it may displace/disable the use of a 2.5" SATA port. The motherboard documentation will tell which 2.5" SATA port is affected. Just be aware of that if you mix SATA formats.

You should be able to disable the RGB lighting effect in bios. Most motherboards these days seem to come with the glitz to one degree or another.

Either of these boards should work just fine with 16 gb of Samsung B Die 3200 mhz RAM. Here are some no RGB glitz solid choices:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820313712

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232530

I wouldn't obsess over brands of m.2/SATA/NVME too much. Samsung EVO products are very popular around this forum because they perform well and have a 5 yr. warranty. But in reality, you won't see much difference in performance between brands or products in the same niche when it comes to SSD and NVME. All are much faster than platter based drives. Look for a good deal. Samsung, Crucial and ADATA all make good SSD/NVME storage products. If you will be storing large amounts of data such as pics and music library you may want to go with an SSD drive to hold OS and programs and a platter drive for the data. SSD products become very expensive when you begin to exceed the 1TB storage size threshold.

The m.2 drive should come "initialized" from the factory and Windows will see it up during the installation process. If it's not initialized then you would need to temporarily install the OS on another type of drive and initialize the m.2 and then reinstall the OS on the m.2.

Last edited:
I need advice as to which mobo to purchase along with compatible memory
Don't confuse terms. While SSDs (and hard drives) are a type of memory, when people talk about motherboards and "compatible memory", that refers to compatible "RAM" (random access memory) or "system memory". And to that, you can see what RAM is compatible with that specific motherboard by referring the motherboard's QVL (qualified vendors list). Almost all motherboard makers maintain a list of compatible RAM and CPUs for each of their boards on each board's webpage. So when you decide on a board, check the QVLs for compatible CPUs and RAM. While you need to buy a listed CPU, understand there are just too many RAM makers and models for board makers to test and list them all. So you don't have to buy listed RAM but you should buy RAM with the same specs as listed RAM to ensure compatibility.

When it comes to SSDs (and hard drives), that is "storage" memory. I say, if budget allows, go all SSD. Yes, SSDs cost more per gigabyte of storage, but when you factor in vastly improved performance, lower power consumption, and less heat production, then spread the costs (and savings) over the years of service, the extra costs of SSDs initial costs become much easier to swallow.

May be looking for a curve monitor
It should be noted that all the marketing hype over curved monitors did not pan out. First and foremost, understand there is absolutely nothing to suggest the display "quality" or "performance" of a curved screen monitor is better than a traditional flat screen. Nothing whatsoever! Period!

So what's so great about curved monitors? Well, if you are sitting at the exact correct focal length (distance) from the monitor and your are sitting in the exact center of the monitor, then you are sitting at the ideal and equal distance from the center and both sides of the monitor. That is, your head is properly "triangulated" with the full width of the screen so, "in theory" your head is at the ideal distance and "viewing angle" for the best "perception" of the displayed image. Sounds great, and it is, (assuming it is a quality monitor to begin with).

But what happens if you move your chair just 6 inches forwards or back? Now the curved sides are no longer the proper distance for proper "triangulation" for an ideal image display. What happens if you move your head left or right just 3 or 4 inches? Now the "viewing angle" of one side of the monitor will be off one way and at the same time, the viewing angle will be off the other way for the other side of the screen, and also at the same time, even the center of the screen will be off the ideal viewing angle. :( In other words, there is only one ideal user sitting position with curved monitors and that is at some precise distance from the exact center of the monitor. That's fine, I guess, if your head is clamped in a head brace. :screwy: :rolleyes:

What happens if someone else is watching a video with you, or you are trying to show someone else something on your monitor? Their viewing angle may be so far off, the display becomes very faded for them, or you have to move off center then neither of you have an ideal position. :(

For big screen TVs, there is only one spot in the living room for best viewing. I guess that's fine if you are a single hermit.

Flat screen technologies have become so refined that many provide excellent viewing even at very wide (off-center) viewing angles. And humans are used to a flat screen such that polls and surveys since curved screen monitor came out reveal that the "game play" and view experience is just as enjoyable and entertaining with flat screens - even more so when not sitting at that precise position needed with curved screens. So it turns out, curved screen monitors are more a fad. And like most fads, they are cool at first, but once the newness and novelty wear off, they become ho-hum, or even an inconvenience - an expensive one at that!

IMO, use the extra money a curved monitor would have cost you and invest that in a better flat screen, more RAM, faster graphics card, bigger SSD, flowers for the better half, or a big juicy steak dinner at a fancy restaurant.

And to that, I recommend 16GB of RAM (2 x 8GB). If you have money to burn, then 32GB (2 x 16GB or 4 x 8GB). But no more. And understand 16GB is generally considered the "sweetspot". That is, less than 16GB and performance loss will be noticeable with some demanding tasks. But more than 16GB typically yields little, if any noticeable performance gains (except on synthetic benchmark tests).

As far as how to connect your M2 SSD, I say don't worry about that now. Wait until you select your motherboard and see what connectivity options it provides. BTW, if you have never used a SSD based computer before, understand even the slowest SSD will run circles around the fastest hard drives. While M2/PCIe SSDs are faster than standard SATA SSDs, SATA SSDs are still incredibly fast. And remember, once the file is loaded into RAM, the drive steps out of the picture so at that point, drive performance becomes less of a factor in your gaming or other tasks. Instead, your RAM, CPU and graphics solution are what matters.

Two more points. Budget for a top quality power supply (PSU). I like to say you don't buy a new Porsche then fill it up with watered down, dirty fuel at the corner Tobacco and Bait Shop. Well, you might but a car engine can miss a beat with dirty fuel and keep running. High speed digital electronics can quickly come to a screeching halt, corrupting your data in the process. Do not choose your new PSU (if getting one) until you have selected your other components and determine what your power requirements will be. Then I recommend at least an 80 PLUS certified "Bronze" supply, "Gold" would be better. I like EVGA and Seasonic PSUs.

Last, understand in terms of software licensing, a new motherboard constitutes a new computer. And new computers typically require new software licenses, notably, operating system licenses. The vast majority of Windows licenses currently in use are "OEM/System Builder" licenses inextricably tied to the "O"riginal "E"quipment, or upgrade licenses tied to those OEM/System Builder licenses. As such, they are NOT "legally" transferable to new computers under any circumstances. :( So unless you purchased separately a "full retail" Windows license for your current computer, you cannot "legally" transfer that license to your new computer. You must go with a free version of Linux, or buy a new Windows license - so be sure to budget for that too.

Seems like it could be a little sketchy so read the thread.
Yeah, those technically are not legal as per the terms of the license agreements. The problem is, IP (intellectual property) and copyright laws in different countries are a bit different, even though as member countries of the United Nations, each country agrees to respect the laws of the country of origin in these matters.

The issue here is these license are [supposedly] unused licenses from a volume license purchase. For example, Company ABC buys (legally) a 100 copy volume license. But they only need and use 60 licenses for their company operations. So they sell the remaining 40 to someone else (like Kinquin) who then sells each license separately to individuals.

However, the licensing agreement for the original purchase to Company ABC - terms they agreed to abide by when they broke the seal, installed and used some of the license - clearly state unused licenses must stay with the original buyer, or all 100 must be sold "in tact" to someone else. But because some countries turn a blind eye to this (and China - where Kinquin is located - is a major offender), these totally functional licenses get split out sold separately and there is little to nothing Microsoft or US law enforcement can do about it.

This then boils down to the individual's own set of morals and personal integrity. Do we buy a license with a price that is "too good to be true" (we all know the old adage) because we can easily get away with it? Or do we do the right thing and plop down the extra cash for the fully legal license? Only we, as individuals, can answer that.

IMO, just because an entity is super-rich like Microsoft, they don't deserve to be cheated any more than I do. And since legal licenses of Windows 10 can be had legally purchased from Amazon for less than $140 (for W10 Pro, Home is even less), I say build up your budget and be 100% legal, with a clear conscience. This is especially pertinent and prudent, IMO, because there are perfectly capable operating system licenses that free and legal alternatives - as in the many forms of Linux.

on drive choice, for my personal rig I use an m.2, sata boot drive with a sata platter drive for bulk storage.
for my game rig I use an m.2 sata drive for boot, another, larger m.2 sata drive to install the games to and sata platter drive for bulk storage.
for my rendering/video editing rigs I use a sata m.2 for the os drive, 2.5 sata drives to store the projects and a samsung pro nvme for the scratch drive, due to better sustained writes of the samsung pro drives, even over their own evo drives.

and curved monitors, sit down in the right place and game. great, kick you feet up on the desk, stretch out some and lean back in the chair, not great anymore......... no more curved screens for me.

Bill & Trents, Thx so much.. You have definately given my little brain alot to plan out.. I think I will resell my Sata and go with the M@, perhaps 1TB and use a spinner for double BU. As for the Board? I am partial to ASUS although I have used Asrock on the first build ever many yrs ago. Last one was ASUS and It held up pretty good..I am thinking perhaps the ASUS Prime X470-Pro AM4 AMD X470 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard, I have always used Gskill as I have good repor with them and they do/or did have great support.. Not sure if the other Team Dark Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Desktop Memory Model TDPGD416G3200HC14ADC01 would holld up as well as GSkil, But thats because I am not really familiar with team dark..They are both Samsung "B" cast I believe . What is a good brand for an M2 ssd ( since you are correct) I am not to familiar with the M2 setup , you offered some very good advice .. I have a corsair 850 bronze that I will use and double check the outputs .. I was so used to using win 7 for yrs untill my dog ate my license.haha,.. Thats what I get for breeding dogs...Im on 10 home now from the transfer and even though at first I found it very annoying , I have gotten used to it. So I will get Win 10 OEM ...I always had builders edition on all my OS in the past ... So should I just buy from amazon an OEM version ...I do like to do fresh installs from time to time...I always get yanked arond with OEM and retail...Which is which. If it comes on a mem stick then will I have issues installing??? things like that... I will deal with GPU when I get there.. Ya curved sounded good but reality is I dont game like I did when I was with Masstactical with Fergie and the other guys...It sucked my life away but I had the time after a car accident ...now I have some time but I also breed dogs and such..But I am gaming at this point anyways again. Just not how I was ....Im a 1st person shooter gamer...It would be nice to get back in and quit when its time to...no more marathon gaming for me.. Rabbit trailing..sry.. SO opinions on Mobo/memory/SSD ?? BTW thx so much you all....HUGE help.... I already have the CPU, Ryzen 5 2600x which sucks alot of voltage.. I may reuse my c80 water cooler or get new... Not sure..

So should I just buy from amazon an OEM version ...
That's where I usually buy mine - though sometimes Newegg has a better deal. It just depends on who has the best price (including shipping - if any) on the day I am ready to spend my money.

I have no personal experience with Team Dark memory either but I note it is really hard to find any RAM these days that is not warrantied for life. Team Dark is no exception. I have found if RAM works the first time you power it up, it likely will last for as long as you need it too - as long as you handle it properly (taking the necessary ESD precautions), don't try to force it in the RAM slot backwards, and don't step on it. ;)

But again, you need to pick and settle on a specific motherboard BEFORE you choose your specific RAM. So you need to find a board that will support your current Ryzen 5 2600x, then check that board's QVL and use that to find the specs of compatible RAM.

I think it is hard to go wrong with Samsung SSDs.

As far as being annoyed with W10 at first - I think it is just human nature. We don't like change. But as in every major version change for Windows, once you get used to it, it then becomes intuitive.

Keep in mind that technically speaking, it is a violation of EULA to reuse an OEM copy of Windows on any machine besides the original machine of installation.

You can build a USB Windows 10 installer from Microsoft's own website: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 Then just buy an OEM product key from one of the sources I linked in my last post. That will cost you half or less of buying one from NewEgg.

3200 mhz with CL 14 will give you B die. 3200 mhz is considered the sweet spot for performance and value. Little or nothing to be gained by spending money on higher speed than that. Look on NewEgg for Team Dark and GSkill Flare X or GSkill Trident Z 3200 CL 14.

Back