• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

QX9650 Help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Crazymilk

Hi
A quick question regarding the heat/volts on my QX9650.

I have my CPU under water and the temps are good, on Full Load with realtemp max 55c. (450x9=4Ghz).

I have 1.43v going to the CPU which is already quite high for the 45mm chips( I understand) and I am getting errors on Prime95.

My question is am I safe to put some more volts to the CPU aslong as my temps are ok or is it a case on these chips that I am limited to what volts I can put through it rather than heat issues??

Thanks

Last edited:
Hi
A quick question regarding the heat/volts on my QX9650.

I have my CPU under water and the temps are good, on Full Load with realtemp max 55c. (450x9=4Ghz).

I have 1.43v going to the CPU which is already quite high for the 45mm chips( I understand) and I am getting errors on Prime95.

My question is am I save to put some more volts to the CPU aslong as my temps are ok or is it a case on these chips that I am limited to what volts I can put through it rather than heat issues??

Thanks

Personally, I wouldn't throw >1.4v at a 45nm even if temps are good... especially not on a QX9650. Maybe up to 1.45 while benching, but not for 24/7 use.

Put up the rest of the BIOS stats & your system specs.

The rest of the specs are:

ASUS Maximus Extreme
2x WD Velociraptors in RIAD0
4GB (2x2gb) Corsair RAM @ 1800 8-8-8-24-2T (1.89v)- 24hr memtest stable.
EVGA 280GTX SSC
Watercooled CPU & NB with Enzotech blocks
D5 pump
1x 3x120mm Rad
1x 2x120mm Rad

BIOS settings of interest:
FSB 450
MULTI 9
CPU 1.43v
CPU PLL 1.52V
NB 1.54V @ 30c Max underload
FSB TERMINATION 1.54V
LOADLINE CALIBRATION Enabled
Ai Clock Twister - Strong

Rest set to Auto or Disabled

Hope that helps

you should be able to get stable at 10x400 instead of 9x450. these chips have fsb walls. Alot of people are getting 10x400 under the 1.36 mark and definately under 1.4.

You having good luck with that mobo? I have the same chip and mobo with gskill ram and im always getting cpu inits and det dram problems even when im not overclocking i finally rma'd the crap.

I have 450 fsb as I want the RAM to run at its rated speed of 1800 hence why the 9x450. If i go 400x10 im limited to 1600mhz.
I have upped the NB volts to 1.63v and so far am 6hrs prime stable at 1.43v on the CPU.

If I can get 12hrs with no errors on Prime at these setting I will drop the vcore on the CPU to see if I am still prime stable. (ie I an beginning to think the low NB volts was my issue rather than the vcore).

And yes I have had horrid problems with this mobo. Had no end of problem with some OCZ 4GB reaper X 10666 (1333mhz) Ram. (RMA'd it and got this Corsair which tbh seems 100% more stable on this mobo)
No matter what I treid I could not get stable even at stock speeds on everything. Strange thign was both stick ran sweet on thier own in memtest for 24/7.

*sigh* if i get this board back and im still having problems im going to retire my ultra exspensive ddr3 sh*tcan this hunk of crap and buy a p45 with 8 gb of ddr2. Seriously i dont think ive owned a worse product. I cant even set my stock 7-7-7-18 timings even at a 1333 bus and i have ddr1600.

The rest of the specs are:

ASUS Maximus Extreme
2x WD Velociraptors in RIAD0
4GB (2x2gb) Corsair RAM @ 1800 8-8-8-24-2T (1.89v)- 24hr memtest stable.
EVGA 280GTX SSC
Watercooled CPU & NB with Enzotech blocks
D5 pump
1x 3x120mm Rad
1x 2x120mm Rad

BIOS settings of interest:
FSB 450
MULTI 9
CPU 1.43v
CPU PLL 1.52V
NB 1.54V @ 30c Max underload
FSB TERMINATION 1.54V
Ai Clock Twister - Strong

Rest set to Auto or Disabled

Hope that helps

Turn that Vtt down unless you want a fried chip real soon. Don't go over 1.4v. Anything >1.4v is likely not doing anything anyway.

Maybe change AI clock twister to lighter for OC purposes, though it prolly isn't affecting you.

I'd play with multi like others said.

Ok thanks
I seem to be having another strange issue that I hope someone might help with.
I ahve run memtest on the RAM Corsair Dominator Series TW3X4G1800C8DF 4GB (2x2GB) at thier default 1800mhz 8-8-8-24-2T 1.8v and got 20hrs stable with no errors.

Managed to get my QX9650 19 hrs stable using small FFT Prime95 with the following:
FSB Strap :333
CPU 1.4v (450x9=4ghz)
NB 1.71v
FSB Term Volts 1.4v
CPU PLL 1.6v
CPU GTL x63
NB GTL x67
DRAM
AI Clock Twister - Strong
Stastic read - disabled
DRAM Dynamic Read- disabled

The rest on Auto

All good temps cause under Water.

My problem is with Prime Blend test. System freezes after 5 mins everytime.

I am confused as to why I am stable on memtest and small fft's but not blend.

Any help would be appreciated

Last edited:
1.71v on the NB? That seems kinda high. Does it require that or did you just crank up all the settings thinking more is better?

At 450FSB I can't see why it would need anymore than 1.25-1.3v.

I'm at 460FSB on my Q9550 w/ 4 sticks of RAM, and have the NB at it's lowest setting on my P35...1.25v.

Prime failing blend, but not small leads me to believe its either the NB or the RAM. Passing memtest seems to point towards the NB...but not 100%. Try lowering NB voltage and see what happens. My chip is a weird one, but anything over 1.25v on the NB actually reduces stability.

Edit: Also, for me, setting NB GTL to auto worked best until I got a bit higher on the FSB.

Edit2: I'm not sure how the Ai clock twister works...have you tried messing w/ that setting?

Edit3: I know karkas told you to turn down vtt to at least 1.4. Did you try lower? You seem to be just setting everything to max and hoping it works. Its best to start w/ the min voltage setting (not auto), work your way up slowly, and only continue to use a higher setting if it helps. I'm at 1.1v vtt

Last edited:
Thanks for the info.

No beleive me I have not just cranked everythign up and have very much used the softly softly approach (as I always do)
Yep the NB is high but it does seem to need the higher volts. Its at 1.61 in everest btw. Temps are good on the NB as its watercooled. Setting any lower on the NB seems to make it much more unstable
yeah I have dropped the FSB term volts right down after reading more ion it and that has made no difference so Im glad I was alerted to the dangers of that before i fried the chip.

Again with the CPU volts, this seems to help with the stablity, if I drop it one notch I fail blend and small fft within minutes. Again I seem to be good with temps and never go higher than 58c on full load on small fft's.

I will try the light setting on the Ai clock twister as I think this relaxs the RAM slightly.

I have Enzotech CPU and NB Blocks

D5 Pump

1 x 2x120mm Rad
1 x 3x120mm Rad
1/2 Tubing

ah ... thanks for the help lol ... i was only prime stable for 3 hours at 9x450 with everything on auto ... hopefully these settings will help a little

my specs are

cpu- QX9650
mobo- Asus P5K Premium Black Pearl
psu - Corsair HX620
ram - 8gb DDR2 1066 G.Skill
hs - TRUE -120 with some random fan on it
hdd - 7200.11 1.5TB Seagate 32mb cache
gpu - eVGA 8800GTX

I think u got a bumb chip like me i cant even log into vista at 1.4vcore for 4ghz at 1600fsb linked with my 1600 memory on the striker extreme 2 790i ultra sli board.I have tried every possible setting. It just will not do 4ghz at low vcore like some qx9650,s out there
could be the board or the chip who knows .

I will try the light setting on the Ai clock twister as I think this relaxs the RAM slightly.

Yeah, I believe the Ai clock twister tighten's up memory sub timings. When OCing I always set mine to lighter then move it up to strong as stability allows.

if u can turn ai twister off that may help as well. also you man need to adjust your gtl settings a bit instead of leaving them on. being that u are failing blend im thinking u may just have to turn down your performance level, though im not sure what that setting is in your bios. in mine its called static tread value. try 9 or 10. use memset to see what you are running now. hope this helps.

Thanks guys
I seem to be on performance level 7 with the ram atm. Just got to figure out how to change it

yeah at 7 that could be whats holding you back. i had the same problem breaching 475fsb with my q9400. i changed it to ten and i was good. i later got it down to 9. so you may even be good at 8 just have to figure out what its called in your bios. i believe it may be called transaction booster or something in your bios. good luck!

Hmmm, I think mine is at 5 on auto atm with only 1066 ram, 1:1 & Ai twister on lighter. I'm not really done tweaking it though, maybe I'll have to raise perfomance level if I tighten up Ai & run faster (this may decrease performance).

I'm surprised DDR1100 can only do 9.

it wasnt with these sticks was with 1066 and not as nice. and it was mostly the board i was on. u may be able to run lower. by raising it u increase stability and decrease performance. its give and take.

Back