• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Rad+Fan Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yeah, the 2 JetFlo Fans on my Cooler Master Nepton 280L AIO. When I ture them up they "Howl".
Interesting info guys, I'll have to buy some better fans for this:

Noiseblocker eLoop B12-P(S) - PWM control
http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=36_1130_49_1045

or

Phobya eLoop 1000/1600/1800 RPM - Voltage control
http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=36_1130_49_1159

or

Alphacool eLoop 1200/2300 RPM - Voltage control
http://www.aquatuning.de/air-cooling/axial-fans/?p=1&f=1955&sSort=5

or

a Delta
http://www.delta.com.tw/product/cp/dcfans/download/pdf/AFB/AFB120x120x25.4mm.pdf

Correct me if I'm wrong but that 280L is using 140mm fans and your pointing to 120mm? ;)

Actually the mounts in the roof of the ARC XL are much better, as they can be offset and offer native 360 support. The XLR2 has native 280 and 240 support with offset spacing for the 240mm only about 15mm though. I honestly would love to get my hands on a pre-cut top to mod myself as to add an offset will look absolutely horrible.
fractal_design_define_xl_r2_34_550.jpg

Ah, just cut out a square/rectangle in whatever offset you need THEN mask it with a Rad or Fan grill;
Using a wide enough rad/fan grill allows you to bolt on the grill "centered" while the underlying rad/fans are actually offset. There is no rule that says that you have to use ONE bolt through grill/case/fan/rad to put it all together.

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=59_457_362
http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=36_91

If you choose the right grill and do it right you could even rivet the grill in place. :)

Or you could just buy an ARC XL :)

I myself am betting on the industrials, besides those adapters look so lame IMO lol

Ah, but these adapter actually improve performance & reduce noise

Ah, just cut out a square/rectangle in whatever offset you need THEN mask it with a Rad or Fan grill;
Using a wide enough rad/fan grill allows you to bolt on the grill "centered" while the underlying rad/fans are actually offset. There is no rule that says that you have to use ONE bolt through grill/case/fan/rad to put it all together.

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=59_457_362
http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=36_91

If you choose the right grill and do it right you could even rivet the grill in place. :)

Or you could just buy an ARC XL :)

I thought about that when the ARC XL came out but I would rather work with shat I have and get a new case for a new build. For the fan mounting I was considering picking up another one of these to fit into the top bay and then cover it up with something or other. It is 149mm for the fan space and 172mm total in width, so i would simply cut out a hole for that space and bolt in :D

Ah, but these adapter actually improve performance & reduce noise

I would actually get the PWM model or simply volt adjust them.

I've been following this thread and I consult Martin's work often for objective info. Like the others, the info on 140mm fans is sparce, probably due to the newness of radiators using that size.

I was able and lucky enough to snag at a great price a new Watercool MO RA3 - 420 Pro. The purchase included the fan shroud and pedestal feet. I really thought about sinking the $$$ into a Caselabs case but I decided to focus on the MO RA3 and couple it with my internal RX 360 rad. This forced me to make a quick look around at buying 9 140 mm fans (not a cheap proposition). The easy but expensive way was to buy Noiseblockers or Noctuas but I kept digging and found that XSPC sells a 140mm Xirilian fan designed for radiators. Max rpms is 1350. I saw pictures of it and after getting a super price at Sidewinder computers ($7.95 per fan) I decided to roll the dice and buy 9.

I was pleasantly surpised. They had long braided power connectors (3 pin) and though simple they work well on my MO RA3. I bought 3 to 1 3pin power splitters so I could control 3 fans in a row with my fan controller (NZXT 6 channel). This allowed me to control the 3 Corsair SP1 HP 120 mm fans on my XSPC RX360 rad inside my case (CM HAF932 Adv) and use channel 4 through 6 to control the 9 fans on the MO RA3. This allowed me to slow down the 140 mm fans and reduce the sound.

Truthfully the 140mm XSPC fans have been fine. I've had them for @ 2 months without a problem. If I was running 18 fans on the MO-RA3. for ease of simplicity I would probably buy 140mm fans running at @800 rpms without a fan controller.

I've been following this thread and I consult Martin's work often for objective info. Like the others, the info on 140mm fans is sparce, probably due to the newness of radiators using that size.

I was able and lucky enough to snag at a great price a new Watercool MO RA3 - 420 Pro. The purchase included the fan shroud and pedestal feet. I really thought about sinking the $$$ into a Caselabs case but I decided to focus on the MO RA3 and couple it with my internal RX 360 rad. This forced me to make a quick look around at buying 9 140 mm fans (not a cheap proposition). The easy but expensive way was to buy Noiseblockers or Noctuas but I kept digging and found that XSPC sells a 140mm Xirilian fan designed for radiators. Max rpms is 1350. I saw pictures of it and after getting a super price at Sidewinder computers ($7.95 per fan) I decided to roll the dice and buy 9.

I was pleasantly surpised. They had long braided power connectors (3 pin) and though simple they work well on my MO RA3. I bought 3 to 1 3pin power splitters so I could control 3 fans in a row with my fan controller (NZXT 6 channel). This allowed me to control the 3 Corsair SP1 HP 120 mm fans on my XSPC RX360 rad inside my case (CM HAF932 Adv) and use channel 4 through 6 to control the 9 fans on the MO RA3. This allowed me to slow down the 140 mm fans and reduce the sound.

Truthfully the 140mm XSPC fans have been fine. I've had them for @ 2 months without a problem. If I was running 18 fans on the MO-RA3. for ease of simplicity I would probably buy 140mm fans running at @800 rpms without a fan controller.

:thup: this

Especially the last paragraph.

The MO-RA has so much capacity that it doesn't need "lotsa fans", as long as you push some air through it, it works.
So, indeed, you can put some fixed speed "silent-not-too-expensive" fans on it -either 9/18 x 120/140 or 4/8 x 180/200- and "forget about it"

Thanks for the comment RnRollie. Though I only have a fan guard for one side, if I go to 18 fixed speed 140s I probably won't buy another guard.

Definitely agree here, I honestly wish someone would pickup where he left off and give objective reviews of 140+mm in similar fashion. Only reason I say that is it looks like the last time he gave it up seems to be for good :cry:

I can agree with you on the prices of Noiseblockers and Noctua, in your case would have cost you a fortune and not even given you a push/pull lol. Although, I am not familiar with the XSPC fans of any flavor outside of what you have stated. The reason I enjoy the Noctua 140mm Industrial is the fact that by spec they have static pressure, 2000-3000RPM, and a 6-year warranty. If I purchase a minimum of of 7(4-Push/pull ,2 push and 1 exhaust) I'm looking at between $180-210 for the fans alone. However I look at it like this, If I but these fans I will not need to replace them for at least 6 years(outside of RMA and new builds). Breaking down that grossly outrageous number to per year: $210/6 = $35 and per fan per year: $35/6 = $5.84

$5.84 per year really isn't too bad over the lifetime of a product. I also figure if I am going to watercool, why not do the "best I can the first time" versus buying a fan I am not convinced will serve my needs?

Out of curiosity do you happen to know the FPI on that? I cant seem to find any info on that except for the 120mm version. Actually I kinda laugh those are basically a car radiator with smaller tubing. Also my intention with fan purchases has always been scalability. Fast RPM for Overclocking and tweaking, slow for everyday. Im not going to care if the fans were 2000-5000 RPM when I'm messing with things providing they do the job exceedingly well.

I would like to thank you for your insight however, as I know once everything catches up and processors gradually generate more and more heat(mostly GPU's) 140mm will become more standard than they have been in the past. Who knows I may end up picking up the reigns following in Martins footsteps?

that caselabs 'll work :thup:
It damn well better! lol if not I will make it work. Seems kinda weird though that it completely takes up a 5.25" bay.

Technical data:
MO-RA3
Dimensions (L/W/H)
(360) 415.5 x 383 x 65 mm
(420) 475.5 x 430 x 65 mm
Dimensions M4 threads
(360) 377.2 x 273 mm
(420) 437.2 x 315 mm
Weight
(360) 6000 g
(420) 7500 g
Material (core)
Tubes: Copper
Fins: Aluminum
Material (housing)
Coated sheet steel,
polished stainless steel
Connections G ¼ Inch
Temperature-resistant
up to
80 °C
Capacity
(360) 1.1 l
(420) 1.4 l

MO-RA3

The MO-RA3 represents an uncompromising improvement of the successful MO-RA2. Its cooling performance has been increased, even above that of the powerful predecessor. More than 28 meters of tubing and 2.5 square meters of fins speak for themselves. The cooling fluid now flows in a four-time parallel layout through 72 tubes. The fins of the MO-RA3 have been optimised specifically for low-rpm fans. Their enormous surface and effective geometry guarantee excellent cooling performance. The highly parallel layout and the new flow-optimised connection block ensure a low flow-resistance, despite the large size of the heat-exchanger. The connection block improves flexibility as well by providing G1/4“ threads in three directions. Integrated M3 threads allow mounting of up to nine fans per side (not on the MO-RA3 Core LC). Additional threads are integrated for accessories. The MO-RA3 is shipped ready to use. This includes G1/4“ sealing plugs for unused threads, screws for fans, and spacers for mounting it onto a case. The modular accessories of the Mo-RA3 allow for easy customisation. Select from various grills, fan controllers, feet, and external mounting brackets. The MO-RA3 is produced in Europe. Development and final assembly happen in Germany, like the manufacturing of most of its components.

I did some guesstimates based on pictures, a ruler and dimensions. Scaled it down and it looks to be around 10-15FPI or so(i actually measured 13 exactly lol).

Chances are if the 120mm is 20 FPI the 140mm version will be as well. Just my guesstimate based on how other rads are unless its justified as a separate line.

Couldn't find the exact FPI count but did find this old link by bundy who does great reviews and benches as well.

Source

I have actually read a few of his reviews, they do good work.

Back