• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Radeon 3870x2 CrossFireX 8.3 Results & Support Thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I don't know whether its because of my CPU holding it back or if its the drivers but overclocking isn't doing anything for my 3D06 score .. With the card running at 900/950 I scored 40points less then with it at stock ...

I'm using RivaTuner .. I can't get the AMD GPU Clock tool to work, it ses it can't detect any thing ..

rivatuner only lets you overclock one of the gpus while AMD GPU tool lets you see both. maybe thats why you're not seeing any changes in your 3dmark score. To get AMD GPU working you need the updated ToolLib.dll file. You can get it here:

http://www.nordichardware.com/skrivelser_img/516/ToolLib.zip

You can read more about using AMD GPU @ http://www.nordichardware.com/Guides/?page=3&skrivelse=516. It has instructions for the 2900XT but it's the same overall process.

In the end, I think higher core gets more performance than higher mem speeds. My stock run with cat 8.3 was 18,700. With mem bumped up to 1100 mhz from 900 the score went up to 18900. But with only 900mhz core from 825, i got 19100. I really wish my core could go higher. volt mods anyone?:)

Cheers for the info aznkc730 .. Bit confused still however as the two different devices show different clock speeds (same memory speed tho) ..

(BN:3, DN:0) = 823
(BN:4, DN:0) = 297

Anything wrong with just putting (BN:4, DN:0) up to the same as (BN:3, DN:0)??? Then overclocking from there?

Cheers :beer:

Cheers for the info aznkc730 .. Bit confused still however as the two different devices show different clock speeds (same memory speed tho) ..

(BN:3, DN:0) = 823
(BN:4, DN:0) = 297

Anything wrong with just putting (BN:4, DN:0) up to the same as (BN:3, DN:0)??? Then overclocking from there?

Cheers :beer:

This is just a guess, since I dont have the x2 card. I would assume the BN:4 is the idle core speed. BN:3 looks like the one you want to overclock. Unless you want your card running at those speeds all day. Now I might be completly wrong here, so dont just take my word for it.

that's what i think too. the 2nd is the idle speed. But if you wanna be safe, just set that to whatever speed you set the first to when you benchmark. There's no harm in setting the idle speed to match the oc speed for benching.
If
you want to experimentally test it, run one bench with the 2nd at 297mhz and run another with both at the same speed (825mhz +). If you get a high score when both are at 825mhz+ , then that BN4 is the clocks for the 2nd gpu, not the idle clock

Yep the 2nd device is the idle speed .. But when I set a new clock or memory speed it ses 'SetClock failed! Please check device configurations' and then when I ignore that error message and run 3D06 my score goes down by 1000 ..

that's strange. it's supposed to say "setclock failed", but if you click "get current clock", you'll see that it worked. as for why 3dmark goes down by 1000, i have no idea except for checking CCC for any changes you made to the settings. In my case, setting vsync to always off caused me to drop in score.

I figured I would post a couple questions in this thread instead of starting a new one.

I am considering a purchase of the 3870x2 in Crossfire. I currently own a 8800 Ultra, but am tired of all of the issues with drivers in Vista. (nvlddmkm.sys) My question is, I had heard somewhere that if you run 2 cards in Crossfire, you do not lose multi-monitor support. Is this true? I know in SLI, you can only run 1 monitor which is a big downer. Multi-monitor support in XFire would be a nice bonus.

Also, I have read around the net about a refresh for this card in ~less than a month with DDR4 and core refresh. Is there any truth to this? Is it worth waiting for?

Lastly, has anyone using Vista x64 had any issues with these cards for gaming? I know upgrading to 1 card would be a very marginal gain from my 8800 Ultra, but I am so sick of the nVidia driver problems I am willing to pay out hundreds just for a functional card at equal performance.

Any advice would be appreciated.

welcome to the ati club!

HotHardware.com says:
"Another interesting feature of the Catalyst v8.3 drivers brings added flexibility to multi-monitor users under Windows Vista. In the past, users were required to disable CrossFire to watch certain types of video or to utilize additional monitors. But with the Catalyst v8.3 release, that is no longer the case. With cards from the X1800 series on up to today’s HD 3000 series, utilizing an extended desktop in a multi-monitor configuration does not require CrossFire to be disabled."

so yes, with crossfire and catalyst 8.3, you can have all the multi-monitor support you want.

as for waiting for the refresh, I haven't heard about an updated core being available. I know that ati is allowing distributors to pick their own memory, which is why a GDDR4 version will be available soon. Therefore, I would recommend waiting a bit. You have a great video card right now and if you wait, prices might come down a little on the old models if the new versions aren't that much better.

as for gaming on vista x64, i haven't run into any troubles at all in terms of compatability. And catalyst 8.3 doesn't seem to have any driver issues with games for the most part on 64 bit.

p.s. can i have ur ultra now that you won't be needing it? :)

The Ultra is full on nothing but crashes in Vista x64. From nvlddmkm.sys stop errors to nv4_disp.dll BSODs. (Even with entire system at bone stock settings)

I am sick of it and ready to try anything not nVidia at this point.

The Ultra is full on nothing but crashes in Vista x64. From nvlddmkm.sys stop errors to nv4_disp.dll BSODs. (Even with entire system at bone stock settings)

I am sick of it and ready to try anything not nVidia at this point.

With the poor early benchmarks nVidia is posting with their 9x series it looks like you'll be flipping the perverbial bird to them for a little while longer! lol

I've got a bit of an update ..

The AMD GPU Clock Tool lists two devices .. At first it looked like the 2nd device listed was actually what the X2 ran at Idle, a core clock of 300, and RivaTuner's hardware monitor seemed to confirm this ..

However I now think that the 2 devices listed are actually the two separate GPU cores and sets of memory because when I set a new core or mem clock in RivaTuner the clock speeds of the 2nd device in AMD GPU Clock Tool change ...

Back